Captain Mikael Fabian of Third Company, Ultramarines called together his council.  On the hilltop, standing in a perfect circle, holy bolters at port arms, were Third Companies’ leadership:  Chaplain Tiber, Librarian Arcadius, Sergeant Telionn, Sergeant Chronus, and Dreadnaught Severus. 

Captain Fabian stood in silence, musing the distant scene.  Thunderhawk Gunships of an older design were ferrying Space marines in the livery of dark green and bone colored armor schemes to the plain below.  Black colored war bikes, skimmers, and fighter aircraft could also be seen.  These were not a new foe, but rather an old ally of times past, the Dark Angels.

Chronus was the first to speak, as always. Even as a sergeant, his council came with enthusiasm.  “It has been some time since we have seen the Dark Angels gathered in this sector for battle. I have spoken with their techmarines over the voxnet.  It seems our battle brethren have not just been hunting {inquisitorial seal} these years.  It seems that they have also invested their time in some deviant technology. They continue to stray from the Codex Astartes.”  Chronus cocked his head a bit and his eyes gleamed.  Chronus was always interested in improved technology and was known to make sure his tanks ran as best as they could from their STC designs.  Fabian knew that Chronus was more interested in increased firepower and armor plating than adherence to the codex. 

Chaplain Tiber was next to speak.  “Although I can appreciate the Dark Angel’s {inquisitorial seal}, their passion in itself speaks volumes to an underlying concern.  They cannot be counted on to complete their assigned missions, and they seem more interested in {inquisitoral seal} than serving the Emperor’s Will.  Although they are well equipped for bringing war to our foes, they are more likely to run off in pursuit of {inquisitorial seal} elsewhere.  Our counterparts in the Space Wolves speak of using knowledge of the passion of the Dark Angels calling for revenge to bait them into accomplishing tactical aims.  I think this too is unforgivable.  Just as is Sergeant Chronus’ envy of any deviancy in their equipment.”  He eyed Chronus warily.  Chronus just gleamed back. 

Sergeant Tellion spoke next, his right hand grasping his grey beard in thought. “Of our Dark Angel brethren, I have worked with them in the past.  Their Sergeant Naman was legend in the training of initiates for their scout company.  I met him once in competition.  His target shooting was flawless. It took single shots at targets with micrometers for measurement to determine that I had bested him.  I say we embrace our brothers and work together.  Perhaps we will be a positive influence on their practices and operations. I hear that Naman fell in Battle.  I will miss him.”

Severus leaned forward, his mechanical sensors looking down and direct at the assembled leaders.  His mechanical, augmented voice spoke with centuries of wisdom. “Our Dark Angels brethren are here to fight with us.  I have seen their Raven Wing and Deathwing units complete great victories in battle for the Emperor.  They are well armed, with many mysterious and different weapons.  But they are Space marines in the service of Mankind.  It will be wise to work with them and add to the glories of our two Chapters.“  

Captain Mikael Fabian smiled grimly. The Dark Angels were just what the campaign needed to help rid this sector of Chaos. 

That's the best part...sometimes you are so inward looking, you don't know what everybody else knows about you.  The XIII Legion knows what the Dark Angels are up to...they just don't mind as long as it serves its purpose.  In the rock-paper-scissor world of 40K, the Dark Angel codex is designed to defeat Chaos marine codex armies, and us generic Ultramarine players like that immensely.  Overall, the story was to lead to whether or not I'd start collecting Dark Angel Allies...still yet to be determined...

I had written the small piece the days before the DA codex came out...was waiting to put it on my B&C blog...got tired of waiting...

Why are you talking about Legions in the 41st Millennium? Also, why do you have the Ultramarines know about the Fallen? It has been repeated in fluff many times that it's their most closely guarded secret and that no outside of the Chapter, its successors and the Fallen themselves know that. The Inquisition has its doubts. Other Astartes Chapters have their doubts. But they don't know what is true and what isn't and they certainly do not know about the Dark Angel's treachery during the Heresy.

EDIT: Apologies for the harshness, but I guess that it conveys my opinion more accurately that way. And of course, it's just an opinion, so feel free to ignore.

I was reading on Wiki40K through the Ultramarines part of it that aludes to the Deathwatch (largely led by Ultramarines apparently) knows the inside scoop on the Dark Angels, and thus a pathway for upper leadership in the Ultramarines to also know what is going on.  They can then mention it in passing, especially through long-lived Cassius or Severus the dreadnaught.  Some Ultramarine banners still carry the number XIII on their banners btw.  Legion useage is not in the story itself however.  One other gateway for information is that one of the founding "fathers" of the Grey Knights is an Ultramarines Librarian, which is interesting in itself. The Blue Armored Guys apparently have a hand in everything....jus' sayin'. 

My FLGS has a major spring event coming, where the narrative has some sort of reprise between the Legions of Chaos and the Ultramarines...See the Creative Twilight Blog - there is a storyline being developed there.  It may also reflect a tie in between the Ultras and the Dark Angels...who knows?....     

• 2 weeks later...

Wiki40k is a website that I wouldn't put in my trustworthy sites list when it comes to content. Time and time again I've come across people who've just added their own fanfic suff to official fluff. Less so recently, but I personally stick to and trust Lexicanum more.

For example, unless it's a new addition in the FFG Deathwatch books, I have never seen any mention of the Ultramarines leading the Deathwatch. Smells of fanboyism.

Also, I believe that you're complicating this too much, since you will have to explain to every reader why the Ultramarines know about the Fallen when it states in most fluff that no-one except the Fallen themselves and the Dark Angels + successor Chapters know about that secret (and possibly some Inquisition dudes or some third party characters, but there's not many of them out there, or the knowledge would be far more widespread).

Archived