Sword Bearers and the Unforgiven (Updated 1/07/23: Angels Redeemed)

Spaced Hulk

Cheers brothers, glad you like them! :smile.:

@ Mehman: Thanks mate. My thinking with the Sergeant is that he's like the senior NCO in his Battle Company, the Second in Command after the Company Master. Probably one of the oldest Sword Bearers in the entire Chapter, who's either refused promotion into the Higher ranks of the Inner Circle, or possibly been denied it (for some unknown reason). I wanted the model to look really grizzled and battleworn, but also quite ornate and detailed, as though the artificers have, over the centuries, modified and improved his weapons and armour.

@ Stobz: Cheers mate! The torso is indeed from the Landspeeder Vengeance :smile.: Actually, all three of the speeder's crew have unique torsos, pads etc, so they're well worth picking up. I managed to find mine on ebay as a set of just the crew parts, but with the new codex the Speeder itself is looking more appealing, so I'll probably end up getting the vehicle itself at some point.

@ Greenz: Thank you mate! :smile.: Yeah, I do feel like my painting is very, very slowly improving. I'll never be as proficient as some of the truly excellent painters on this forum, but it's nice to know that I'm getting better.

As far as freehand painting goes, I can do some basic designs (like Tactical arrows, Company markings etc) but for some reason I really struggle with just a single sword design. It's a bit silly really, as it should be such a simple symbol, but all my attempts so far have been disappointing. Fortunately, I've managed to get some more of the Company Veteran shoulder pads from ebay, so the next couple of squads are sorted. It's just the units that I've already painted with plain pads that I need to add a Chapter symbol to.

My idea with the tilt shields is to use them the same way as the Iron Knights Chapter, eg: with the chapter symbol displayed on them rather than the shoulder pad. As an example, here's another Siege Veteran I've been working on:

med_gallery_917_10669_552977.jpg med_gallery_917_10669_792508.jpg

med_gallery_917_10669_807436.jpg med_gallery_917_10669_528005.jpg

(Btw, I realise this breaks my resolution to only post up painted mini's :blush.:. Seriously though, did anyone really expect me to keep to it! :wink: )

I'm thinking of working all the alternative Chapter symbols that the Sword Bearers use into the fluff, so the various designs represent membership of a particular knightly order, participation in a specific campaign, or even induction into the different circles of trust and secrecy within the Chapter.

I will keep practicing my free hand painting though, as eventually I'd like each model/squad to have their own unique personal heraldry.

Anyway, thanks for reading my somewhat rambling thought processes! C&C are welcome as always :smile.:

Edited by Spaced Hulk

I do like this guy. Why bring one sword to a fight when two is ultimately better :laugh.:? The use of MkIII armour appeals to me, as well. It adds an aspect of ancient prowess that you can instantly see. In other words, the marines that have taken on this suit of armour have been experts at what they do as it's still around and isn't adorning some Traitor's hall.

The idea of working the alternative symbols into the fluff is a requirement. Yeah, I said it. If it was up to me, I'd work the knightly orders and circles of trust into the fluff as specific campaign badges just seem trite in comparison. They've been on a specific campaign for, say, two years but they've had the knightly orders and Inner Circle a lot longer.

Keep it coming :thumbsup:!

• 2 weeks later...

Ah, how did I miss the latest installment? He's just dripping with flavor, I love the double swords. I'm just picturing a decapitation a la Gladiator or *shudder* Star Wars episode 3.

I just read "Titans" short blurb on another thread. Can we expect a compilation thread one day? Lol your short stories are quite spread throughout the threads

• 3 weeks later...

AH I'm back!! (Kind of) I'm participating and doing things! (Not really)

Caught up on all your stuff here brother. Really glad I was able to come back and see you back to it. I love the fluff, though I still want to know what happened to Aldous ;) Excellent, most excellent brother. The dichotomy of your chapter and the fact it is two chapters in one is really starting to show now. Keep it up.

• 4 months later...

So you thought we had fallen? Our swords broken, our lives extinguished, our very memory lost to history's cold embrace? Do not discount the Sons of Mire so easily, mortal. Our battles may be unremembered, our glories known only to ourselves, but we stand where we have always stood: in the shadows where the galaxy ends. Whilst a single one of us still draws breath, we will bear the blades and duty we were entrusted with.

Attributed to unidentified Sword Bearer Space Marine, 725.M41

med_gallery_917_11568_929617.jpg

Edited by Spaced Hulk

Well, I'm back. It's been 5 months since I last updated this thread, and I'm afraid the hobby has had to take a back seat to real life stuff during that time. However, things finally seem to be settling down, so you can expect more frequent updates from now on.

First of all, some long overdue replies:

@ Mehman: Cheers mate. Yes you're right, the badges should symbolize the various Knightly Orders and forces within the Chapter, so in the future I'll be using the different sorts of DA emblem and shoulder pads for different units. Most will still get the single sword pads (from the DA Vet squad box) to represent the Chapter symbol, but specific squads will get alternative ones instead (for example, Assault squads will get the sword & single wing RW design to signify their role).

@ deathspectresrg7: As always brother, thanks for your endless encouragement! :thumbsup:

@ Greenz: Thanks brother. Definately more Gladiator than Revenge of the Sith (in my mind anyway! :smile.: ). Yes, I've always had a habit (probably quite an irritating one! :smile.: ) of replying with little blurbs of fiction. Unfortunately I've lost a lot of those fluff pieces when my laptop crashed, but I suppose they're still scattered around the forum(s). If I feel motivated enough I might try tracking them all down at some point.

@ Brother Excedis: Glad to hear from you brother, hope you're well and thank you kindly for the compliments :smile.: As for Aldous, well I expect we'll see what the future holds for him soon enough :wink:

@ Dark Rage: Thanks mate! :thumbsup: It's really good to see you working on your Consecrators again too, they're still one of my favourite armies on the forum.

Ok, the next thing is I've decided to re-boot my Sword Bearers army. Yep, pretty much going to start from scratch. Just the models, not the fluff or background (although there might be the occasional ret-con as well if I feel it's warranted). This is mainly because I feel my modelling and painting have both improved a lot since I first started this thread, and a lot of my older stuff is, much like myself, showing it's age. I'll still be keeping most of these older models (mainly for sentimental reasons - they're the first army I ever painted) and will try to incorporate the better ones where I can, but I generally feel like it's time for a fresh start. A clean slate, if you like.

So, with that said, my goal for 2016 is this: A new, fully painted, 100+ strong Sword Bearer's Battle Company. With some support from the First, Second & Tenth Company's.

Finally, here are a few pics of some of my new test models (in sepia of course, for old times sake :smile.: ):

med_gallery_917_11568_504472.jpg med_gallery_917_11568_719654.jpg

med_gallery_917_11568_136345.jpg med_gallery_917_11568_517290.jpg

med_gallery_917_11568_422008.jpg med_gallery_917_11568_1086319.jpg

The last pic, of the assault marine with the dual swords, is actually a Second Company Revenant. I built him initially as a sort of proto-Revenant: a throwback to the Chapter's early history when the death masks and iconography were still developing. However, if I can achieve the paint scheme I'm thinking of, this may actually be how the revised Second Company looks from now on.

Anyway, thanks for reading my usual waffle, and as usual comments and criticism are always welcome.

Merry Christmas to you all, and a very happy New Year! I'll see you in 2016!

Haha good stuff brother. A reboot seems a good way to keep the juices flowing. I'm very curious to see what you are going to do with the Revenant. I will try to be patient, but I am dead curious.

I like that bottom left marine with the power fist. however I am not sure how I feel about the first assault marine. Maybe see if you can make him look like he is actively walking up the stairs instead of, hmm, tripping up them almost? The outstretched power fist gives me that feeling. Excellent otherwise though brother.

@ deathspectrsrg7 & Augustus: Cheers brothers! :smile.:

@ Brother Excedis: :biggrin.: Thanks mate! Unfortunately you're right about the Assault Sergeant! I built him to look as though he was using his jump pack to boost over a pile of rubble, but now that you've pointed it out, all I can see is him falling flat on his face :smile.: I'll switch him to another base which should hopefully sort it out. You'll have to wait a bit longer for the Revenants I'm afraid, but I have built another couple (working towards a five man squad to paint all together).

med_gallery_917_11568_855857.jpg med_gallery_917_11568_838622.jpg

med_gallery_917_11568_1028381.jpg

Finally for today I've built a new Captain to lead my new Battle Company. I picked up one of the limited edition Captain models when they were on offer from GW, but haven't been sure what I wanted to with him until now. As with all the stuff I build I knew I wanted to customize him, but the nature of the model means there are limits to what you can do without seriously carving it up. So in the end I've gone for a simple head & backpack swap, with a tilt shield added to the one shoulder pad to display his Chapter badge. My camera decided not to cooperate so it's not the best pic of him, but hopefully it'll give you an idea what I'm aiming for:

med_gallery_917_11568_1021414.jpg

Thanks for looking, C&C welcome as always! :smile.:

Edited in some slightly better pics :smile.:

Edited by Spaced Hulk

Hi all, and a very happy new year! Thank you for the comments and likes, and hope you've all had a good & suitably merry Christmas. Replies first, and then my first pic update of 2016.

@ Isiah: Thanks mate. The limited edition Captain is actually a really imposing model, with a bulkiness that you usually associate with terminators rather than power armoured marines. Hopefully I can do it justice when it's time to paint him.

@ Brother Stobz: Cheers brother, glad you like em! Painting preparations are underway - every time it stops raining here (which isn't very often at the moment. The UK's weather has always been a reliable inspiration for the Sword Bearer's rain sodden home world :smile.: ) I'm priming models.

@ FinylCut: Thank you very much mate! The hooded marine is one of my favorites as well. He's actually a member of the Ebon Blades, one of three veteran squads attached to this Sword Bearer's battle company. The other veterans are pretty cool too, but I'll be giving them their debut at a later date.

@ deathspectersrg7: Thanks brother! It is a really cool and commanding pose. I wanted the Captain for this Battle Company (still haven't 100% decided which one it's going to be) to be really ornate - almost grandiose compared to the marines under his command. I've built quite a few Sword Bearers Captains over the past couple of years, and whilst they're not bad models, they're sometimes a bit indistinguishable from the other models in the army. With this Battle Company, I wanted there to be no question who's in charge.

Ok, update time: First of all, I finished building the last two members of the proto-Revenant Assault Squad:

med_gallery_917_11568_985191.jpg med_gallery_917_11568_813202.jpg

And here's the full squad, ready to be primed:

med_gallery_917_11568_1328459.jpg

Rules wise this will count as a Vanguard Veteran squad included as part of 1st Company Task Force formation (from Codex: Space Marines). This formation is actually an ideal rule set for representing Revenants, as it automatically gives them the Fear USR (as well as some other useful special rules). The Revenant with the two handed axe can either count as a normal veteran with a power axe or the sergeant armed with a relic blade, depending on spare points.

Secondly, whilst I'd posted pics of all my currently painted Revenants before, I've never posted a full army pic of my existing Sword Bearers. Before they get packed away to make room for my new army, I thought I'd better take a few pics. Not very good photo's I'm afraid, but hopefully it'll give you an idea of what I've built so far:

med_gallery_917_11568_1449165.jpg

http://1.1.1.2/bmi/image.bolterandchainsword.com/uploads/gallery/album_11568/med_gallery_917_11568_788455.jpg

http://1.1.1.3/bmi/image.bolterandchainsword.com/uploads/gallery/album_11568/med_gallery_917_11568_1640842.jpg

http://1.1.1.1/bmi/image.bolterandchainsword.com/uploads/gallery/album_11568/med_gallery_917_11568_1605544.jpg

http://1.1.1.1/bmi/image.bolterandchainsword.com/uploads/gallery/album_11568/med_gallery_917_11568_1585748.jpg

And finally for today, here are some early WIP pics of a new version of one of my favourite characters in the Chapter's background: Balian, the Silent Sword

http://1.1.1.3/bmi/image.bolterandchainsword.com/uploads/gallery/album_11568/med_gallery_917_11568_1102243.jpg http://1.1.1.4/bmi/image.bolterandchainsword.com/uploads/gallery/album_11568/med_gallery_917_11568_477559.jpg

http://1.1.1.4/bmi/image.bolterandchainsword.com/uploads/gallery/album_11568/med_gallery_917_11568_291827.jpg http://1.1.1.1/bmi/image.bolterandchainsword.com/uploads/gallery/album_11568/med_gallery_917_11568_789310.jpg

He's not finished yet, as I still have to add equipment, purity seals etc, but I'm really happy with the over-all pose.

Anyway, thanks for looking, C&C welcome as always :smile.:

Edited by Spaced Hulk

Cheers brother :smile.: Which pics can you see or not see? They were all showing for me yesterday, but today strangely it's only showing the first four. I've uploaded some of them to Photobucket, so I'll try posting them again:

Closer-up army pics:

http://i1372.photobucket.com/albums/ag344/mat_at/Sword%20Bearers%20Space%20Marines/CIMG8494_zpssrln3tio.jpg

http://i1372.photobucket.com/albums/ag344/mat_at/Sword%20Bearers%20Space%20Marines/CIMG8495_zpsgg03oe5g.jpg

http://i1372.photobucket.com/albums/ag344/mat_at/Sword%20Bearers%20Space%20Marines/CIMG8496_zpsaalyhtgs.jpg

http://i1372.photobucket.com/albums/ag344/mat_at/Sword%20Bearers%20Space%20Marines/CIMG8497_zpsnyrm78nx.jpg

New WIP version of Balian:

http://i1372.photobucket.com/albums/ag344/mat_at/Sword%20Bearers%20Space%20Marines/CIMG0747_zps03z1qrby.jpg

http://i1372.photobucket.com/albums/ag344/mat_at/Sword%20Bearers%20Space%20Marines/CIMG8511_zpstiluoqhf.jpg

And as I was uploading pics,I thought I'd better add a few new ones as well :smile.:

First of all, a couple of new Sword Bearer Assault Marines:

http://i1372.photobucket.com/albums/ag344/mat_at/Sword%20Bearers%20Space%20Marines/CIMG0745_zpsdpmiloz8.jpg

http://i1372.photobucket.com/albums/ag344/mat_at/Sword%20Bearers%20Space%20Marines/CIMG0749_zpsvv6rewvd.jpg

And finally for today, another new version of an old character:

Kane, Master of Seventh Company, Bearer of the Calibanate Blade and Chapter Champion:

http://i1372.photobucket.com/albums/ag344/mat_at/Sword%20Bearers%20Space%20Marines/CIMG0739_zps6m4hncnl.jpg

http://i1372.photobucket.com/albums/ag344/mat_at/Sword%20Bearers%20Space%20Marines/CIMG0741_zpsoe5zaqf0.jpg

Thanks for looking, C&C welcome as always :smile.:

That is a nice looking army you have.  It looks very cohesive.  Your HQ's are dynamically posed.  I like them.  I may have to steal a few of the ideas from Kane.  Great work on the bases too!

Where did you get Kane's head from?  I do not recognize it from any of the DA sets.  Also is Balian's torso 3D printed?

Edited by Epher

You're models are looking better and better all the time, though I'm really digging Kane and Balian especially. All of them are very dynamic, and have loads of character, without being over the top or too embelished.

I think my only critiscism would be that Balians lower left leg looks like it has a mold line still

@ Epher: Cheers mate! Hopefully my new Sword Bearers army should be just as cohesive, as I'll be keeping the same colour scheme and using a similar basing method for each model. Kane's head & Balian's torso are both parts from Anvil Industry btw.

@ jbaeza94: No bionics mate (at least not on that model). Kane's body is actually one of the Palatine Blades from FW, and the ornamentation on his leg is just part of his armour. They're quite dark pics though, so I can see how you could mistake it for bionics.

@ Greenz: Thanks mate, I'm really pleased with how they're looking too. You're right, there is still a faint mould line on Balian's leg, but I'll sort it out before he''s primed.

Been a bit busy so unfortunately no update today. However, I am working on a new piece of fiction so my next post should be a fluff update. Thanks for looking :thumbsup: