Sword Bearers and the Unforgiven (Updated 1/07/23: Angels Redeemed)

Spaced Hulk

Cheers Arkley :thumbsup: I suspect he's going to be a real pain in the **** to paint though, which is another reason I'm only vowing one model to begin with.

Btw, it's nice to see some Red Unforgiven on the forum again. :yes: There were rumours you'd emigrated to Rynn's World for a while :wink:

I tried to but I do love my Red Unforgiven :D

Given your previous work I think you will knock it out of the park :)

I agree with Brother Arkley, the Master is great.

As usual your choice of bits is top notch.

Refind your motivation Brother, stay the course.

Cheers brother! Will try my best to stay out of Chamber 42 :wink:

Your edge hilighting of the black armour is really getting very good.

Your conversions have always inspired I could almost break out my own plastic if I wasn’t so damn tired from work and putting the kids to bed.

Thanks JJD! The edge highlights have really slowed my completion rate right down (and lets face it, it wasn't particularly fast before!) but I do really like the results.

And I know that feeling. When I've got the time to hobby, I don't have the energy. When I've got the energy, I don't have the time.  

Cheers Arkley :thumbsup: I suspect he's going to be a real pain in the **** to paint though, which is another reason I'm only vowing one model to begin with.

Btw, it's nice to see some Red Unforgiven on the forum again. :yes: There were rumours you'd emigrated to Rynn's World for a while :wink:

I tried to but I do love my Red Unforgiven :biggrin.:

Given your previous work I think you will knock it out of the park :smile.:

Cheers buddy! Your progress in the ETL so far has been inspirational, and I really like that Phobos Captain conversion. The bases are looking excellent as well :thumbsup:

Love your conversions and posing of your models! Very inspirational :smile.:

Many thanks bevulf! I'm sure it's been said before, but your painting is simply phenomenal, and an inspiration to all of us. :smile.:  

• 2 weeks later...

I've been slacking I'm afraid, so still haven't finished the Primaris Master for my first vow. To be honest, I am also trying to finish a Tactical Squad that I started before the ETL, so that I can do all the decals at the same time. Shouldn't be too much longer hopefully...

However, I have also finished building a Slam Captain (eg: thunder hammer, storm shield and jump pack) which I intend to paint for my second vow:

gallery_917_15155_822345.jpg

gallery_917_15155_700264.jpg

gallery_917_15155_144248.jpg

gallery_917_15155_805088.jpg

He'll be painted black, representing one of the few original surviving Revenants who have crossed the Rubicon and become a Primaris.

Love the use of the Talon as the hammer, dammit why didn't I think of that!!! :D

I like to give my company master a heavenfall blade which closes the gap between power sword and Thunder hammer... Hmmm perhaps my long planned jump lieutenant though...

Looking forward to seeing this guy finished Spaced!

I really like the bits you put together for that jump pack....

Cheers brother! :thumbsup:

Love the use of the Talon as the hammer, dammit why didn't I think of that!!!

I like to give my company master a heavenfall blade which closes the gap between power sword and Thunder hammer... Hmmm perhaps my long planned jump lieutenant though...

Looking forward to seeing this guy finished Spaced!

Thanks Fierce Bear! I gave him a normal thunder hammer to begin with (from the Vanguard Vet box), but even for a Primaris it seemed over sized, and the pose of the model meant it was obscuring a lot of the detail. I thought a heavier, more powerful version of a corvus hammer was a pretty cool alternative.

*Idea stolen*

Steal away brother! :wink:

Your Primaris Master is looking terrific. But that converted jump pack... what a phenomenal idea Hulk!

Cheers mate! I really like the anti-grav vanes on the Primaris jump troops and Reivers, so adding them to the Sanguinary Guard Jump Pack seemed like a good way of tying the older equipment into the new Primaris aesthetic.

That hammerboy looks smashing!

Thanks Ranulf! The Revenants (my version :wink: ) are all Primaris these days, but I really wanted a smash captain for them as well.

So while I still haven't quite finished my first ETL vow, I've now decided which models I'm going to paint for my second. I intend to paint three more Unforgiven Masters (because obviously you can never have too many HQ models :tongue.: ), a Revenant, a Dark Angel and a Sword Bearer. The Revenant will be the Smash Captain pictured above, while these will be the other two:

gallery_917_15155_877184.jpg

One of these will be Balian, Chapter Master of the Sword Bearers, while the other will be Knight Captain Acheron, the commander of the Firstborn contingent (eg old marines) for my Dark Angels. Only problem is that I'm not sure at the moment which one to paint as which!

This was originally intended to be Balian, and he is probably the more imposing of the two models:

gallery_917_15155_946538.jpg

However this model (originally intended for my 30k DA) has the more ornate armour and a more impressive two handed broadsword. So I'm wondering if he would make a better Chapter Master, especially as Balian is probably going to be the last Sword Bearer I paint.

gallery_917_15155_1143750.jpg

I'd value your opinions brothers. Which model should I paint as which?

Thanks in advance. :smile.:

Yup, I’m in agreement, the first one gets my vote. While the second marine does look awesome, as GRC said, he feels more like a company champion, or at most a company master.

The first model has so many more iconic DA symbols on him. The daggers, incense burner, the ropes, plus the small trinkets, as well as the iron halo and the 2 crux terminatus on his tabard. And that face... that face has centuries worth of “I’m gonna mess you up” written all over it

Cheers brothers, appreciate the advice. It seems pretty unanimous (well, apart from Arkley causing trouble like usual! ). I'll stick with my original choice for Balian, and use the model with the two handed sword as a Dark Angels Company Master.

So next question, should I paint the DA Master in the normal green colour scheme, or shall I try a bone/white armour scheme, like Lostrael's awesome Second Edition Captain?

Being inspired by Lostrael does have a cascade effect. And Yes yes you should.

tenor.gif

I can give you one criticism on the (Chaplain based one) I would be very tempted to switch for a DA style sword.

Cheers brothers, appreciate the advice. It seems pretty unanimous (well, apart from Arkley causing trouble like usual! ). I'll stick with my original choice for Balian, and use the model with the two handed sword as a Dark Angels Company Master.

So next question, should I paint the DA Master in the normal green colour scheme, or shall I try a bone/white armour scheme, like Lostrael's awesome Second Edition Captain?

I can give you one criticism on the (Chaplain based one) I would be very tempted to switch for a DA style sword.

Both will be awesome, but definitely agree with Arkley on this if you can.

Cheers brothers ☺. To be honest, I tried various Ravenwing and DA swords when I originally built the model, and none of them looked right to me. The pose means that larger or more ornate swords made the model seem too unbalanced. I also quite the simplicity of that particular sword, and the fact it actually seems reasonably in scale with the marine weilding it (which is quite novel in 40k, especially with oldmarines).

Thanks anyway guys, I will give it some more thought before I start painting him.

I’m leaning towards standard DA green for your master. Only because it’s the DA, and besides the obvious RW and DW colour schemes, the DA tend to stay away from flashy ornamentation and different colour schemes amongst their power armour brethren. Usually distinctions are made with robes and such, right? But it’s your model Hulk, and I have no doubt whichever you choose you’ll do a fantastic job brother.

I think we both know what the answer is to that particular question. But since the armour would be pretty much bone at the limbs, I would make his tabard green to compensate.