Okay, So basically I have been interested in the hobby for about a year but started actually playing about 2 weeks ago and I have the following.

HQ

-Belial-Grand Master of the DeathWing

-Ezekiel-Grand Master of Librarians

-Turmiel-Librarian from Dark Vengeance

-Seraphicus-Interrogator Chaplain(pre-order Bonus DV)

Elites

-Deathwing Knights- 4x Maces of Absolution StormShields 1x Flail of the Unforgiven & StormShield

-Deathwing Terminators- 3x Storm bolters and Power Fist 1x Assault Cannon and Power Fist 1x Power Sword and Power Fist.

RavenWing Squadron- 1x Sergeant with ChainSword & TwinLinked Boltguns 1x Ravenwing Biker with plasma gun & Twinlinked Boltguns 1x Ravenwing biker with Bolt pistol and Twinlinked Boltguns.

Tactical Squad- 1x sergeant with Chainsword & Plasma Pistol, 1x SM with plasma cannon & boltpistol, 1x SM with Plasma Gun & Bolt Pistol, 7x SM's with BoltGun & BoltPistol.

Tactical Squad- 1x sergeant with Chainsword & Boltpistol, 1x SM with missile launcher & boltpistol,1x SM with Plasma Gun & Bolt pistol, 7 x SM's with BoltGun & Boltpistol.

Basically I want advice, help, tips, warnings? anything you guys and girls are willing to throw me. I play in GiantsLair Plymouth, if you're local then maybe ill see you, Thanks all of you who read this far.

I'm Alex BTW.

Hey Alex welcome to the Unforgiven :)

Play with what you have first and learn what each unit does on the battlefield. Take it slow and play against someone who won't wheel out a crush everyone list. Whenever I teach a new player I always make a balanced list with a lot of differing units as they can see how each works. After a few games you will start to form a style of play that's good for you and your army will flow into that.

For instance, a player I know started as guard but found he couldn't utilise them to how he wanted to play. He changed force and is now a lot more successful. The advantage with Dark angels is you can change your style. Ravenwing are fast and good at shooting but are also a small force at 1500. Deathwing are great at surviving and good all rounders but are again small. Greenwing are normally fairly flexible and I normally use a greenwing list.

Looking at your models I would use Belial with the deathwing or knights, the two tac squads as objective holders and add the Libby for some psychic power fun. I normally use divination as its basic power is very good.

I'm sure you will be fine, and will be able to play some good opponents where you are.

My biggest tip would be don't get disheartened. No matter how bad you think the game is going, you are still playing someone and they want fun too. Trust me, you would rather lose and have fun then win and not enjoy the game.

By using the DV box you have done the right thing. As it has been said above, get a feel of the game with that. Read the dex a couple of times, and after the initial loses (it happens always durring the first ten years tongue.png ) you will find your playstile.

Welcome to the Rock brother!

By using the DV box you have done the right thing. As it has been said above, get a feel of the game with that. Read the dex a couple of times, and after the initial loses (it happens always durring the first ten years tongue.png ) you will find your playstile.

Welcome to the Rock brother!

Brother Immolator, I read the 'Dex everyday! I even bring the 'dex to work and read it during lunch break!

Anyway, welcome to the Rock, RustyKnight! It's a great time to be a Son of The Lion!

Gaming advice: Buy Aegis Defence Line. Its cheap and gives you something to deal with flyers and also a nice tool to deal light vehicles. Its rather cheap point wise and doesn't break bank when you buy the models either. Have Fun... Oh, get 3 ravenwing bike squadron from local shop and enlarge your 3 man ravenwing bikesqiuadron into 6 man bikesquadron. Then get singel attack bike for it. Then you migth want to consider command squad for Honorguard to carry your sacred standards (Dakka Banner) Also, Rawenwing black knights are good unit and Whirlwind is cheap long range firesupport you may want to consider.

I would field Belial as your HQ choice.  Attach him to the (now scoring!) terminator squad and deathwing assault them without scatter.  I would also recommend increasing the size of the bike squadron...but also the terminator squad.  Nothing to lose and much to gain by increasing them to ten models.  For other future purchases...well, some heavy support.  Whirlwinds are excellent, and cheap.  I would take two of those and a devastator squad with four lascannons in the kind of list you're playing.

Thanks for the welcome guys! much appreciated greetings and advice :) tonight I played a guy who is a Flesh Tearer (Blood Angels) and unfortunately due to my own error I got myself cornered and he immobilised my Land Raider and scored first blood on my Ravenwing... HOWEVER! thats where things got hairy for him and I killed a tonne of his stuff so the 3 points he scored with his momentary upper hand were equalised by turn 4. he scored linebreaker near the end of 4 and it wasnt a killable unit so on a last ditch effort or caught the back of his BAAL Predator with an Assault Cannon on my Terminator and popped it... which left us 4-4 and the game ended...though it was a draw it was a major victory for me and im dead happy again. I had a disheartening game on thursday which really got me down as it ended 11-1 to my friend. I WILL RISE! all the best guys and thankyou for your time :D

Bought Devastators earlier and i am certain GW are reaching for more money by only supplying 1 of each weapon...I had wanted missile launchers heavy or Lascannons. bit pants but i think my friends fielding his without one of those two so ill pinch the spares.

I am putting together all my missile launchers for my Devs using the left overs from Tact squads I'm not using. I think the Dev squad comes with two lascannons, but it stinks you can't buy the heavy weapons separately like you could in blisters a few years ago.

Welcome to the rock brother. You got a good starting group of Dark Angels there. As everyone said figure out what you like and work on your list from there. Devastators would be a great way to go if you are doing multiwing, if not get another group of Ravenwing so you can set up your terminators. Belial is probably my favorite HQ for DA and I run him all the time, his sword can be pretty nasty. I prefer 5 man squads for termies that way you can maximize your split fires, unless you want to get really tweaky with your special weapons. If you are going to have ravenwing make sure they are at full strength, I have never seen a three man biker squad do anything more than be a portal for your termies and maybe toss a few wounds to a small squad. Aegis Lines are great as well.

Devastators have 2 Plasma Cannons 2 Lascannons 2 Heavy Bolters 1 Missile Launcher and 1 Multimelta. I don't think that it is that bad of a kit at all if you get two you can make 2 Spam Dev Squads on everything but missiles and Meltas. Meltas can be bought in other places and missiles are in every tac squad kit ever. Search through some bits bins you will find the heavy stuff you want there.

Played 1000 points today with a dev squad 2x lascannons 2x missiles and sergeant with signum, DW Knights, DW terminators kitted DV style, Turmiel psych lvl 2,Belial and a 3 man ravenwing with a melter. lost both matches...first was a damn shame and it was just bad luck. the second i was a bloody fool and deep striked belial and DW shooting squad between a 5 man terminator squad i hadnt seen and the intended 10 man assault i had just made into a 7 man thanks to my devastators... i was playing capture points and we had one each, landed next to his so i might take it but got stuck and left my knights too far away... in hindsight my knights should've been with belial and my shooting squad holding my point. 

both enemies were Blood Angels and went assault marine heavy and ran about which was irritating but i finished game one with most of my army and only 2 of his troops left. game two ended with knights vs 1 terminator with his assault squad recieving linebreaker... i know how to play properly now and its going to get awesome from here on... ill be back with good news soon enough :P thanks everyone!

Go slow. Don't get sucked into a single unit's power and buy a bunch of them, as each unit takes skill to play correctly and the weakness becomes harder to overcome without proper support. Deathwing and Ravenwing are great once you're a veteran player, but run a mix first.

Try to put variety into your unit purchases so you're never lopsided. Also, buy off ebay. It makes the hobby a bit more palatable for those of us who aren't made of money >_>.

A final bit of advice, find devious things to do. Put a belial in a 10 man terminator squad with 2 heavy flamers and deep strike them on top of an IG parking lot. Stick 3 bikes inside a land raider and rush them across the battlefield. You can do some crazy things that tend to make the game more enjoyable, simply because they're goofy as well as effective. 

A final bit of advice, find devious things to do. Stick 3 bikes inside a land raider and rush them across the battlefield. You can do some crazy things that tend to make the game more enjoyable, simply because they're goofy as well as effective.

That's not devious, that's illegal. teehee.gif

A final bit of advice, find devious things to do. Stick 3 bikes inside a land raider and rush them across the battlefield. You can do some crazy things that tend to make the game more enjoyable, simply because they're goofy as well as effective.

Definitely not! There's no rule forbidding bikers in a land raider. Bikes are very bulky, and therefore take up 3 slots in the transport. Room provided, you could even attach an IC on a bike to a unit and have him ripping out of a drop pod, provided you have enough room.

Definitely not! There's no rule forbidding bikers in a land raider. Bikes are very bulky, and therefore take up 3 slots in the transport. Room provided, you could even attach an IC on a bike to a unit and have him ripping out of a drop pod, provided you have enough room.

But only infantry models can ride in transports according to the rulebook, and bikes are bikes not infantry.

That's not devious, that's illegal. :teehee:

But only infantry models can ride in transports according to the rulebook, and bikes are bikes not infantry.
Foiled again! Really makes you wonder why they even bothered to mention that they're very bulky at all...

EDIT: upon further inspection, I can't find where it's mentioned that they are very bulky, so maybe I'm just suffering from edition confusion again.

I believe Luci is right about the bikes, but don't have rulebook to hand to quote from. 

Anyway, welcome Alex. Don't be disheartened by defeats - you're still very much in the learning phase of the game. Just wait - at some point you'll suddenly find you're winning more than losing. 

Luci is right on the bikes. Does anyone remember that because of that rule (very bulky) there where rumours of a bike transporter for the ravenwing flying around pre codex. As was plasma ammunition for assault cannons... :P

Its doesnt preclude one in the future though, perhaps a very expensive resin block from FW would fit the bill one day.

Archived