++ From the Abyss - A Word Bearers Log ++

Great chosen! How did you get the possessed legs to fit? Or is it just the right leg? Or maybe the front pieces with the tabards can be made to fit all sorts of legs? Oh, the possibilities:)

Cool thunderhammer too, I think I've built one using the same bits!

Thanks! It's a full possessed legs. Normally they're supposed to be running, but the right bent leg is detached from the rest of the body. It was only matter of a bit of green stuff to get them to work. The front piece with a tabard was attached to a spare back set from one of the older Chaos Space Marine sprues. It took a decent amount of shaving to get it to fit properly, but the results are as you see. 

Where is the Thunder Hammer from on your Chosen? Your Marines look killer mate. Great to see these new kits being used to such good effect.

Cultists looking great too, how big are they compared to the old DV Cultists and also the new Marines?

Where is the Thunder Hammer from on your Chosen? Your Marines look killer mate. Great to see these new kits being used to such good effect.

Cultists looking great too, how big are they compared to the old DV Cultists and also the new Marines?

The Thunder Hammer is using the Power Axe from the new Chaos Space Marine sprue for the haft, while the hammer head is from the Wrathmongers sprue. Lots of Thunder Hammer heads for us there, brother. :wink:

As for the Cultists, they're roughly the same size as the regular cultists, maybe even a little smaller (though better proportioned). Here's a side by side with one of my new marines.

mY0Fl0o.jpg

They look perfect together mate, thanks for that :tu: :tu:

I will have to have a dig about for a hammer like that too, thanks. Can I just say, the marine next to the cultist really highlights how cool the Chaos Marines pose is. Nice work indeed!

Well I'm glad you like it, bro. :smile.:

On that unrelated note, I started working a little bit on another project of mine that will be in the works soon enough. So, as I had said before, I will be completely reworking my Word Bearers to fit into the new aesthetic. This is very important for me and it's something I've been waiting a long time for. With that said, I will be, for the most part, abandoning my Word Bearers when it comes to the Horus Heresy. I don't want two separate armies of the same guys with the exact same color scheme. As cool in concept as that would be, it just wouldn't be as fun..  With that in mind, now a... gap, so to speak, has been left open in the Horus Heresy slot and I need to fill it with something. Some of you who have been around long enough to faintly remember a very old project I was a part of. My original design has always been to play as the sons of that Arch-Traitor himself and so, I will return to that which I once longed for. It will be some time, but you can expect that eventually I will be returning to this... project that was more a labor of love. The largest stall in my plans is that I have no transfer sheet for them and Forgeworld is presently out of stock... which is pretty rough. It's still a vast work in progress, but here is my first test model of my Sons of Horus. 

O1ZwMo9.jpg

eLB3AyI.jpg

KuhvSuB.jpg

Enjoy.

Edited by Noctus Cornix

That's a lovely green on the Terminator. I like the very obvious patronage of the Dark Gods, that claw in particular is a  cool piece and balances against the bulk of the flamer well.

The Terminator looks great! Is his left hand an augmetic with aesthetic modifications to make him look intimidating, or did the Chaos Gods "bless" him by mutating it into a claw/jaw/thing?

Thanks man. My Sons of Horus are aesthetically during the Siege of Terra or around that general time frame so they're intended to look late-heresy/scouring-era or even during the Legion Wars. This is essentially to represent the Sons of Horus at their 'prime', the peak of their damnable path as they spiral down into the lowest depths. To answer your question a bit more directly, it is a mutation. :yes:

That's a lovely green on the Terminator. I like the very obvious patronage of the Dark Gods, that claw in particular is a  cool piece and balances against the bulk of the flamer well.

I'm glad you like it. The claw piece is from the Gal Vorbak set. I have a good number of Gal Vorbak and I plan on using a couple of them to make some Luperci for my Sons of Horus. Doesn't mean some of the guys can't already be starting to mutate already through. :teehee:

Edited by Noctus Cornix

Looking good, really nice green! I spot some mould lines on the helmet though!

And maybe you can explain what's going on in American Gods, I've read the book a couple of years ago but I'm still totally lost:D

Uhhh I've never read it. Why do you ask?

Well, he's certainly not done just yet, but here's a Work in Progress for my first Chaos Space Marine. Comments and Criticism would certainly be appreciated on this one, guys. I should hopefully be able to hammer out the arms and maybe the basing later on today or tomorrow.

WQmJ7Xz.jpg

f2rFJ31.jpg

Looking good so far mate. I like the Colchisian runes down his leg, a nice touch. Are you planning on weathering and battle damage? Also have you 100% decided on eye lens colour? The new marines lend themselves to ‘glowy’ eyes really well due to the being raised and I think green would lend itself really well to them :tu: Edited by Midnight Runner

Looking good so far mate. I like the Colchisian runes down his leg, a nice touch. Are you planning on weathering and battle damage? Also have you 100% decided on eye lens colour? The new marines lend themselves to ‘glowy’ eyes really well due to the being raised and I think green would lend itself really well to them :thumbsup:

Thanks, brother. That means a great deal to me. When it comes to weathering, I'm honestly not too sure. I've never quite been able to nail down a weathering technique I felt satisfied with. I'd like to, but I don't want anything that would spoil the overall look of the model. I'll do some more research before I come to a decision.

As for the eye lenses... I actually already have them painted. They're a green color, but it's super hard to tell from the picture. I have never tried to glowing eyes look, but I'll give it a try with this guy and see how I feel about it. 

Another thing of note is that I realized the pictures I posted previously really makes the red look a lot brighter than it is in real life. Here's another version that shows the red  as a darker tone, but it still only partially represents the actual color of the model.. Man I really need to figure out how to take better pictures of my stuff. 

xIabDTX.jpg

RE glowing green eyes (and I am far from an authority) I just paint them white, and use lamian medium mixed with a bright green over the white lens, then the-highlight white. With the green I just make sure it doesn’t go above the eye in eyebrow area, and just a little under the eye. Not the best pic as it is a different type of eye lense, but here is a Worldeater I prepared earlier :D

http://i.imgur.com/LNitsF9.jpg

Again, just down to personal taste as many don’t like it but it does look good at a tabletop distance especially. Infact, I wish I had done my Black Legion brighter but too late now lol

As for the weathering, the world is your lobster. I tend to sponge my paint chips on - with red I would use a dark grey, the old Charadon Granite, and some silver chips here and there with lead belcher. Gold would ged Verdigris, whilst silver a little rust here and there is desired. Little bit of weathering powder on the feet to match the base and job done. Not an exact science with me but there are plenty out there more practised.

Looking good so far!

Edited by Midnight Runner

Actually took some time to do a bit of research and tried some methods I found online! I really like the way your green looks, man. This one is a little different, but I like how deep the green is. I was pretty modest on the battle damage and weather as I didn't want to do too much and mess up the model at all. But I'd certainly appreciate feedback. See if I can improve anywhere.

U2F05Wl.jpg

uWhHQwV.jpg

jBGA4zf.jpg

The new lenses are quite an improvement, looks great:) They make the whole model look better. Was the recipe complicated?

Not in the slightest! Just two thin layers of warboss green, making sure the get in the recess, a little wash from the hexwraith flame technical paint, and just a little white along the top of the lens. That's all there is to it, mate. Glad you like it. :smile.:

Edited by Noctus Cornix

Not at all :tu: He is really looking the part now mate! I would just maybe go a little softer on the final white in the eye and you are golden B)

The weathering looks the part too, it just brings them to life that bit more imho. Also, as you get more confident with it I BET you start going a little heavier!

This is going to be a great looking army.

Yeah, I meant to have a smaller dot, but I unfortunately had kind of shakey hands at the time. I think it would also do me good put the white dot before I apply the hex wraith flame wash. Will help blend it in a little.

I think you're right, as far as the weathering goes. I used to go extremely heavy on the battle damage and weathering but ultimately I think it made my models look very poor. I've since become far more conservative, but I would like to loosen up at least a little bit. I think I just need to find the right balance.

As other have mentioned, the white dot could do with being a bit smaller and in the same place on both lenses. Your suggestion to paint the white dot before the wash is a good one, but I'd suggest you go over the washed white dot once again with a smaller pure white dot to finish off the lens.

Otherwise, overall, you've got yourself a solid paint job for that model. Keep it up. :tu:

Looking great man! Have you tried touching up your pictures with any software? Mine always get a bit of run through photoshop to play around with color levels. It helps make the pictures match reality.

Looking great man! Have you tried touching up your pictures with any software? Mine always get a bit of run through photoshop to play around with color levels. It helps make the pictures match reality.

Don't have photoshop.