Destroyer Legions

DarKnight

But that was a poison bullet, not radioactive mortars. Many could argue that Perturabo simply thinks of the "assassin's weapon" as dishonorable, not necessarily a weapon in general. Orbital bombardments and mass artillery fire seem to be a thing of the Iron Warriors and a radioactive wasteland would definitely help with a future fortress as it would be debilitating to the attackers. The inverse it that it would more than likely have the same effect on the defenders which could again, nullify its use for them. You could also have it that even if Perturabo thinks of it as dishonorable, that some Iron Warrior Warsmiths don't as well as that inverse. So as Kraine pointed out, it could really go any way someone wants it to.

Ah ok. I just saw the next event on the Forgeworld website being the HH weekender so hope combined with logic... Yeah. On a happier note, after seeing the Assault Marines colored as Salamanders and the Recon Marines as Night Lords, I dare to hope that Massacre will not disappoint.

Well, part of the thing in the descriptor for Destroyers on Fargeworld says:

"Considered dishonourable by some Legions, who eschew them altogether or make little use of them, the arsenal of a Destroyer squad includes rad-weapons, bio-alchem munitions and the crawling horror of phosphex. These hellish devices, which irrevocably taint the ground upon which they are used, have been forbidden by the Emperor’s own edict, and with good reason. For during the long nightmare of the Age of Strife, many life-sustaining colony worlds were rendered barren by their use, becoming uninhabitable charnel houses where once these verdant planets held thriving civilisations."

So the Ultramarines being who they were, I think they would obey the Emperor's Edict.

On the other side, I figure the survivors of Calth would be the last ones to use rad-weapon because, well, it is how their planet died. biggrin.png

But, that is just a point of view and as you just said, any point of view can justify anything. Like perhaps some of the survivors became hardliners and decided to do whatever they must to destroy the enemy, especially the Word Bearers.

EDIT:

I always thought that the Wolves might not be big fans of Destroyers because of their "nature lover" aspect not meshing well with radiation and "salting the earth".

*looks at this post.

*looks at the Razing of Prospero.

*looks at this post.

*looks at the Razing of Prospero.

Yeah, the Wolves would never salt the earth. biggrin.png

The Razing of Prospero was sacking the city of Tizca and butchering the Thousand Sons. I don't remember anything in that book about causing widespread environmental destruction of otherwise trashing the planet permanently? The Wolves did a small preliminary bombardment and then landed and got struck in. They didn't use Bio-weapons like the Life Eater virus to soften up the planet or anything. If anything the Fall of Prospero strengthens the argument against the using Destroyers. Even when they were going up against fellow Space Marines and power sorcerers at that they avoided trashing the enviroment.

I'd doubt that the Space Wolves, the 'hypocracy legion', would not use those. They used psykers despite Nikea, so why would they not use rad weapons on foreign battlefields? It's not like it's Fenris they are fighting on, why should they care? On Shrike they destroyed important knowledge of immeasurable value (though the Thousand Sons managed to save one library I guess), I assume that was their regular MO, and if they can destroy knowledge and lore without even looking through it first, why not the planet as a whole?

Since Prospero is considered a "dead world"(completely devoid of life and incapable of supporting it) according to the 40k wiki and Lexicanum labels it as "destroyed" an that one short story with some of the KSons coming back after the Razing describing the planet as a desolate wasteland..... It sounds like the Wolves did the World Eaters proud.

I'd doubt that the Space Wolves, the 'hypocracy legion', would not use those. They used psykers despite Nikea, so why would they not use rad weapons on foreign battlefields? It's not like it's Fenris they are fighting on, why should they care? On Shrike they destroyed important knowledge of immeasurable value (though the Thousand Sons managed to save one library I guess), I assume that was their regular MO, and if they can destroy knowledge and lore without even looking through it first, why not the planet as a whole?

Having a bad day, little brother? This is below your normal standard of argumentation, so I hope all is well :)

Having a bad day, little brother? This is below your normal standard of argumentation, so I hope all is well smile.png

*embarrassed*

A severe lack of sleep and the death of a relative, does that count? :(

Having a bad day, little brother? This is below your normal standard of argumentation, so I hope all is well smile.png
*embarrassed*

A severe lack of sleep and the death of a relative, does that count? :(

Dude, that's rough but nothing to be embarrassed about man. If anything, I give you props. When one of my family members died, I dropped of the radar.

Yes, they are in Night Lords livery - all set for Massacre msn-wink.gif

Well I'll be damned. My mind processed the chest lightning as just cracks in the armor, as befitting a Destroyer squad.
Check out the Recon Marines. They gotz the lightning too! :D

Since Prospero is considered a "dead world"(completely devoid of life and incapable of supporting it) according to the 40k wiki and Lexicanum labels it as "destroyed" an that one short story with some of the KSons coming back after the Razing describing the planet as a desolate wasteland..... It sounds like the Wolves did the World Eaters proud.

I assumed that was due to the after effects of Magnus transporting the TSons and much of Tizca in to the Warp. Major acts of sorcery tending not to be good for the environment in the 40k verse. 

*embarrassed*

A severe lack of sleep and the death of a relative, does that count? sad.png

Most surely it counts. My condolences, Excessus, to you and yours.

Thank you.

Hmm, wait a bit, I remember making a lengthy post in this topic just before I went to bed this afternoon...did I perhaps forget to press "Post"?

/facepalm! Working nights doesn't benefit my brain either...

Check out the Recon Marines. They gotz the lightning too!

VIII Legion. Now with SPARKLING! Urge to post DIY Night Lords Warband based on Twilight in the Liber Astartes rising.

And for all the talk about the Ultramarines not using Destroyer squads...battle brothers, remember Roboute Guilliman's wisest remark from Know No Fear  "Whatever wins the fight, wins the fight. No tactic or tool should be discarded if its exclusion leads to defeat."

Which goes to show even a sanctimonious hyprocrite who never had to do anything besides tally compliances and polish his armor (Me? Biased for Chaos? NEVER!) can be right once in a while. The XIII would have had them. They wouldn't have necessarily been respected, or in great numbers, but they would have had them. After all, "Sometimes it is necessary to, as the ancients say, salt the earth."

Check out the Recon Marines. They gotz the lightning too!

VIII Legion. Now with SPARKLING! Urge to post DIY Night Lords Warband based on Twilight in the Liber Astartes rising.

No. Just..... No. Well, only if it involves Edward's head on a pike and Jacob being worn like a pelt.

As far as the Ultramarines, I'm really starting to think it's yes and no. The Ultramarines view themselves as the paragon of courage and honor. The weapon in question is considered dishonorable in nature.

The same time, as Wade pointed out, it would be supported by that direct statement. Yet in KNF, we see an Ultramarine being censured just because he made theoretical tactics fighting other Astartes, which directly conflicts with that statement.

I wonder...on the one hand, given how shocked Rob is that Lorgar (who is repeatedly stated in narrative as having held a grudge over Monarchia, which is known to the XIII and the XVII line troopers) betrayed him, it seems likely he intended to level a severe punishment to Mr. "Hey, xenos weapons! I should play with them!".

On the other hand...this is Guilliman, who had to be aware, given the events of the Night of the Wolf, that Astartes on Astartes actions were indeed possible, Maybe he instead intended to see if his wayward son had come up with anything useful, but didn't want the fact that he was amassing such data to spread, thus he handles the entire matter personally?

After all, it says he simulated battles with his "dauntless few" against any foe he could come up with. Any foe.

And yet their very descriptor says that some Legions look down on them as dishonorable and that the Destroyers' rad weapons were banned by an edict from the Emperor.

Yet as soon as the heresy starts to unfold, the legions doesn't shy away from using psykers either, despite the edict of nikea...

The destroyer squads and weaponry might have been banned before the heresy, but in a full scale civil war with astartes against astartes, you'll need every advantage you can get!

And yet their very descriptor says that some Legions look down on them as dishonorable and that the Destroyers' rad weapons were banned by an edict from the Emperor.

Yet as soon as the heresy starts to unfold, the legions doesn't shy away from using psykers either, despite the edict of nikea...

The destroyer squads and weaponry might have been banned before the heresy, but in a full scale civil war with astartes against astartes, you'll need every advantage you can get!

This. It's one thing whe you're fighting soft fleshed normal humans, standard Astartes weaponry will usually be more than a match against the opposition. But when you're talking about thousands (potentially hundreds of thousands) of genetically altered super humans, you're going to need to be a bit more... asymmetrical, I suppose you could say.

I could see the dark angels running these guys,come on its a unit of cypher wannabes and they have no problems slinging rad rounds in modern 40k so I am almost certain they would use them in 30k.

cypher = plasma right? Using plasma doesn't taint the area in which it's used, at least on a long term basis. care to elaborate brother?

Ravenwing black knights are the only rad slinging first founding chapter ravenwing black knights use these rounds in their grenade launchers

I could see the dark angels running these guys,come on its a unit of cypher wannabes and they have no problems slinging rad rounds in modern 40k so I am almost certain they would use them in 30k.

cypher = plasma right? Using plasma doesn't taint the area in which it's used, at least on a long term basis. care to elaborate brother?

Ravenwing black knights are the only rad slinging first founding chapter ravenwing black knights use these rounds in their grenade launchers

But we all know they're dishonourable traitor scum, so that makes sense :P

Archived