Scouts, scouts, scouts!

John_f

It´s exactly what IndigoJack explained!

:tu:

Of course (and it's my mojo) :"statistics are like bikinis : give an idea but hide the essential)

Like IndigoJack explained there will be odds where you'll hit more than 24 times with scouts whereas you won't ever be able to do this with bikes for obvious reason.

On a general note : a double weapon is slightly better than a single TL weapon.

What I'm just saying is that, for the same amount of point (roughly), you have a relative superior firepower, and a better cover save, when the bikes provide 12" move, retentless, T5, access to special weapons that don't drop you bolters, HoW and a 3+ save...

That's not what I call a fair trade off...

While I'm not an expert, I do know a lot of math (just finished my math minor). Since I'm not sure where you're confused, ill break everything down. Sorry if it feels like I'm oversimplifying this.

6 bikes can fire 4 shots with the dakka banner. That's 24 shots fired. 2/3 of them hit on average (because you have a 2/3 chance of rolling a 3+) giving you 16 hits. Since it's twin-linked, the 6 shots that missed are re-rolled. 2/3 of them hit giving you another 5.3ish hits. Adding that to the 16 from before and rounding to the nearest whole number gives 21 hits.

For the scouts, 10 stationary scouts get 40 shots with the dakka banner. Since they're BS3, only half of their shots hit in average, giving 20 hits.

I hope this helps clear up the confusion!

Shouldn't it be the 8 shots that are missed are re-rolled? tongue.png

Haha it is 8, my fingers typed 6 for some reason :P.

@Master Avoghai, I should be clearer, I'm not trying to say dakka scouts are a good and balanced list. It's an alpha strike list that relies on luck and poor deployment of your opponent. Bikes overall do make a better list. Scouts just do the alpha strike better and for the most part, have more staying power, albeit at a cost (firing snap shots)

There's nothing stopping you from doing it with bikes. As mentioned earlier, the scouts have a potential to do more damage. Anecdotally, I've found that many bullets does fairly well, even at BS3.

While I'm not an expert, I do know a lot of math (just finished my math minor). Since I'm not sure where you're confused, ill break everything down. Sorry if it feels like I'm oversimplifying this.

6 bikes can fire 4 shots with the dakka banner. That's 24 shots fired. 2/3 of them hit on average (because you have a 2/3 chance of rolling a 3+) giving you 16 hits. Since it's twin-linked, the 6 shots that missed are re-rolled. 2/3 of them hit giving you another 5.3ish hits. Adding that to the 16 from before and rounding to the nearest whole number gives 21 hits.

For the scouts, 10 stationary scouts get 40 shots with the dakka banner. Since they're BS3, only half of their shots hit in average, giving 20 hits.

I hope this helps clear up the confusion!

Well then I have finished minors mathematics in the Uni too, but I never cared/could get the hang of it biggrin.png

Even so though, the bikes are still better due the things I posted in my previous post. IMHO that is.

Of course (and it's my mojo) :"statistics are like bikinis : give an idea but hide the essential

Quoted for truth and catch phrase stollen for personal use tongue.png

BTW the new quote copy paste system sucks biggrin.png

Archived