The art of sisters

Dread

Ugh, and again with the random Inquisition symbols... ><

Pity, it's quite a nice pic other than that.

Although, until now this is the only version of it I've seen;

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/KaguraHakubi/IK%20and%2040K/Sororitas/boobiez_zpse4023dd2.jpg

my word, that canoness/superior has two huge weapons, a hand flamer that is so long and unwielding with one hand, and that power sword is almost as tall as she is, that it would need two weapons to wield it, but yet she is one handing both of them and is not a genetically enhanced marine or wearing any servitors on those arms to increase her strenght.  They probably didn't use it cause its just so fake lol

my word, that canoness/superior has two huge weapons, a hand flamer that is so long and unwielding with one hand, and that power sword is almost as tall as she is, that it would need two weapons to wield it, but yet she is one handing both of them and is not a genetically enhanced marine or wearing any servitors on those arms to increase her strenght.  They probably didn't use it cause its just so fake lol

That's not a hand flamer really, but an archaic inferno pistol.

Well it reminds me of the weapon the Inquisitor on the Withhunter Codex used.

That's the codex that says its an inferno pistol. Hand flamers looked completely different in there. I think they look goofy, but it was a status symbol I guess.

Edited by andrewm9

That's the codex that says its an inferno pistol. Hand flamers looked completely different in there. I think they look goofy, but it was a status symbol I guess.

If I recall my lore correctly, when they were scuplting the figures for the Witchhunter 'dex the sculpters took inspiration from the notion of hand flamers and made fancy versions of that. When it came time to write the rules, the rules technology for hand flamers didn't exist yet in the post third ed plastic template world (or at least hadn't been finalised out of an appendix), so they got omited from the weapons lists. They released the figures anyway to a confused public who associated the unfamiliar weapon sculpt to the rules they wern't familiar with and the retcon was history. The only other 'melta pistol' available at the time was the personal property of Commander Dante.

I reckon if the same book and figures got published today without a previous misinterpretation hangover they would be hand flamers as intended. I seem to recall when the released the canoness with that go-round one of the options was a decidedly melta looking pistol with the characteristic vented barrel. I went to considerable effort to round eight of those up so I could arm my tank hunting 'Phim squads with unambiguous weapons.

One problem with your theory, Eddie - there's an Art in the Witch Hunter codex of that gun and it's labelled "Inferno Pistol".

As for the cover art, they didn't use it because it makes it look like the game is a ryona title, rather than a to-be-taken-seriously RTS.

One problem with your theory, Eddie - there's an Art in the Witch Hunter codex of that gun and it's labelled "Inferno Pistol".

Nah, that's just Gee-Dub realising their error when it's too late to resculpt, but not too late to relabel.

Also, it's not my theory, I didn't make it up. I think I read it somewhere around here actually, but this was also in the days when the studio ocasionally chatted with the fan base so it might have come off the record from one of those.

my new favorite piece of sister art.  But then again, i am a little biased, as this was for an art assignment for my current class, and one I just finished.   I am going to school for illustration, and the class this was for is called Mastering the Pencil, its basically a class with 4 big projects, spread out of several weeks, lots of thumbnails, brainstorming, and large pieces of art. 

The project was called Hide and seek.  Basically I had to draw two similar objects or figures, and one had to be in the light, the other in the dark.   Basically this meant, the darkest highlight on the shadow figure was to be darker than the lightest shadow of the lit figure.   It is close on that task, but either way I enjoyed this project, and loved how it turned out.   Its my first 40k inspired piece.   I ended up struggling with the background idea, so just went with something wartorn and to help give me a reason why one sister was in the shadow.  

http://i1307.photobucket.com/albums/s585/Jason_Mullis/Artwork/Mullis-Wk4Pr2-Final_zpsa3551896.jpg

my new favorite piece of sister art.  But then again, i am a little biased, ...

Well, Mr. Mullis, you appear to have done a credible job on the mandate of the assignment with the relative intensities, but I find the posing of the pale girl's legs unnatural feeling.

Why wouldn't she stand up straight? She's wearing power armor. :smile.: Still, it's pretty good all told. The detailing on the weapon and the armor are really quite good.

Figured it out.

The reason the pose looks quite so funky is because as it stands, her hips are on a level with the bottom of the Heavy Flamer, meaning that her torso alone is the same length as her legs from hip to toe. It looks funky because her legs should be longer than that. I know you can't fix it since it's Traditional Media, but next time you may want to use a stick figure to work out the characters' proportions before actually doing the detail work. ^^;

yeah i know she looks off, now that everyone is pointing it out, it almost makes me want to trash it.   I kept struggling with her pose the entire time, and part of it, is I was trying to keep her on the entire page as well, because it seems my instructors hate it when I cut a models feet off.   I kept struggling with her legs the entire time, from sketches to final, and now its starting to be glaring.   The armor detailing was something I was really pushing in the final because the instructor kept saying the legs didn't look like armor, just like thicker bare legs, so I was really trying to add some depth and detailing, that normally isn't visible in the minis or in lots of the artwork.  Oh well, as you say it is traditional medium and the more I work with the old traditional, the more I am hating it and can't wait to start working in digital.