The art of sisters

Dread

I must admit, I like the concept as well.  And, truthfully, if you just change the face to look less anime and more realistic, I think it would work out really well.  Almost makes me want to buy an ebook reader just so I can have this on it.:biggrin.:

I don't hate Tau. I don't even hate anime. I mean, come on, my avatar is in that style!

I just think that applying BESM stylings to 40k art detracts from the gravitas of the images. It makes her look like a cutesy little girl instead of a hardened warrior - the rest of the picture is very nicely done, I just wish she had a proper face.

40k isn't Big Eyes Small Mouth, it's Small Eyes Big Mouth, as a Tyranid player I know phrased it recently.

I'm not a fan of 'anime-style' 40k art, but the concept behind this is awesome;

http://www.deviantart.com/art/Leather-cover-for-e-book-Adepta-Sororitas-435056228

The face kinda ruins it...

The rest is pretty decent imo.

Ah, so you hate the Tau too then? :tongue.: It's a great idea but is screaming out for a more classic 40k style piece of artwork on it.

Guilty as charged.

Although, I guess that in the Imperium it'd be considered to be quite normal/decent to hate the Xenos.

40k isn't Big Eyes Small Mouth, it's Small Eyes Big Mouth, as a Tyranid player I know phrased it recently.

xD Selah.

Also, BESM is a Pen&Paper RPG ruleset.

I'm not a fan of 'anime-style' 40k art, but the concept behind this is awesome;

http://www.deviantart.com/art/Leather-cover-for-e-book-Adepta-Sororitas-435056228

It looks like a mash up of style to me. The body looks good, and then the head loses detail and sharpness. I've seen lots of images like that from manga on the internet, though. They put so much attention to detail into the background, the body proportions, the clothing details... and then plop a moe blob on the neck.

I've seen some SoB art in the manga style where the aesthetic was consistent throughout that I thought was pretty good. There's a lot of poorly executed art and fetish fuel art that ruins the look, but I've seen it done right to where it doesn't even intrude on the grimdark.

• 2 weeks later...

Apart from the =][= that should be a -(][)-, this is really awesome.

Not going to ask about it in the comments this time. Last time I asked an artist why they were drawing inquisition symbols instead of ecclesiarchy symbols, they banned me from their gallery. ><

Not going to ask about it in the comments this time. Last time I asked an artist why they were drawing inquisition symbols instead of ecclesiarchy symbols, they banned me from their gallery. ><

really? If you'd asked me, I'd have pm'd you straight back to give me more info, because obviously I was missing some!

(or, if I was in a really foul mood, I'd say "artistic freedom", and call it a day).

I don't know what it is with this artist though - his (I think) shading is quite good - I'm jealous of his mastery of light and dark, to be fair - and yet there's this thing, this... indefinable... 'wooden-ness' of his characters, sometimes. Like they're puppets or action figures posed, instead of a drawing. The sister in this particular image doesn't suffer from it, but the marine behind her does.

Anyway, that's just me nitpicking again, because, like I said, I'm jealous of his skills.

If you look at the armour on the exorcist it has the =][= under a piece of parchment suggesting that there is some overlap oft he use these symbols.

That is a sad label you assign to the mighty arm of the Ecclesiarchy, my friend.

Because we're the fetish fantasy hyper-dogmatic, hyper-vigilant, pro-God-Emperor faction, that's why.

There. That's better.

Having a Sisters of Bitter day, I guess (to paraphrase another forum).

It's a sad fact that pretty much nobody really gets the Sisters as a faction. They see the boob plate and slinky thighs and write us off as another latex fetish gimp army, and heaven forbid we try to support our disagreements with fluff information because we're just wrong.

Sadly some of the imagery supports the short sighted view the Sisters. Repentia with garter straps hanging, being driven by whips, stiletto heels in power armor (old sisters codex cover).

As much as I don't subscribe to the sexy dominatrix view of the Sisters, you can't necessarily fault someone who hasn't read the fluff for seeing them that way.

Sadly some of the imagery supports the short sighted view the Sisters. Repentia with garter straps hanging, being driven by whips, stiletto heels in power armor (old sisters codex cover).

As much as I don't subscribe to the sexy dominatrix view of the Sisters, you can't necessarily fault someone who hasn't read the fluff for seeing them that way.

Agreed. From the start Sisters of battle pretty much screamed 'sexy but in a family friendly way' as to what GW was trying to create. Whether they accomplished this or not is up to the individual to decide, but considering the 'state' of the hobby in the mid-late 90's it's pretty much a product of its time.

Now, there are plenty of things that can be done to change that outlook/idea/theme, but I doubt that is going to be on GW's agenda for some time.

Sisters would be fetish fuel even without high heels and repentia. They're, after all, a woman-only organization and these tend to enflame the mind. Of course, sometimes I feel being female is enough to invite fetish.

Case in point, this very regulatory power armor pattern.

But to avoid turning this thread into a rant about male fanservice, here's a sister without high heels and a colored picture.