ETL Vow 2013 for pbenner

Pbenner

@Tenshi

Well, someone needs to set the bar for the team, don't they?  ^_^  

I was thinking about that this morning, but I've laid out everything that I have that is close to being ready to paint.  By the time I'm done with my last one, I'll need to start over from the beginning for the last things I own that need painted, but those are vehicles, and those aren't cost-effective.  haha.  

Vow IV will be the one that slows me down.  I've got some stuff in there that I've never painted before, and based on surface area, they're very inefficient as a vow, but I want to do them at the same time as the unit going into them, oh well.  

Vow V might be a barn burner too, as I'll have a bunch of "random" stuff in there in top of my "normal" stuff I paint, but it's all good.  Now off to figure out how to represent a Monster Slayer of Caliban and a Personal Field Generator...

Paul

I think the Monster Slayer would be a 2hander in Power Armor, but TDA should have enough actuators and servos to compensate and still allow the use of an off-hand ranged weapon.  

I've been thinking that a back-pack would be a good one for the PFG.  Right now I'm not 100% sure what else will go with it, but the PA backpack seems small next to the TDA back.  I just ordered 3 more of those SW Assault Cannons, and I'm going to cut one down and remove the belt and fix it up to be the backpack.  I may combine the fuel cylinders from a Redeemer's Flamestorm Cannons and attach them to the sides as additional capacitors.  Some guitar strings to run a connector to the sword and I may just be there.  

Paul

Jeremy,

You're funny.  That's pretty good.  I've got another one here that I want to use as part of a future vow, but I haven't gotten to him yet.  He'll be down the road.  I want to use him as a CC monster, so I need to order in Contemptor CCWs.  

Vow III Status Update: 

The Dreadnoughts have most of their first coat of Bleached Bone on them, but the paint pot is looking a little low, so I need to track down another pot of paint.  The round of Terminators for this vow is still shy one CML, but it should be in sometime next week.  I think I have another tub of Bleached Bone here, and if not, I know I have one of Ushabti - They look a little different when wet, but when cured, they're nearly identical, so not a big deal.

Best,

Paul

I already have.  I bought 3x sets of Las Cannons, Auto Cannons, and Kheres Pattern Assault cannons - I'm only painting the Las for the competition, but I'll do the other two later one.  

I probably won't magnetize the CML on them, because I'll probably always take that option for versatility.  

Paul

On a Mortis it really is.  While for most things, a Las Cannon is Overkill when in need of Skyfire, a sure thing always beats a gamble.  Glancing on 3s vs Glancing on 5s is a WIN in my book.  Plus BS5 with Re-Rolls is great.  I would rather not strip Hull Points off of a flier when in need.  Also, while I don't have much to fear from fliers as a 2+/5++ army, I can still use them to target ground based units at very long range when I want to.  

I'm organizing my vows right now, to assure that I have everything I need to accomplish them.  I need to buy a few things from Forge World to wrap it up, but I'm trying to talk myself out of buying a Land Raider Achilles - I've always LOVED the Thunderfire Cannon, and what could make it better than putting it on an AV14 chassis with PotMS.  :D :D  

I don't know how much painting I will get done tonight.  The rest of my speakers came in today so I need to finish setting up my Home Theatre surround.  :D :D

Best,

Paul

Damn,

Woke up sick as a dog this morning.  Can't even keep Water in my guts, ugh.  Not wanting to paint much right now either, but I expect that the Contemptors will be done before Friday.  Terminators to follow probably early next week.  I have my time with my Son soon, so my evening painting hours may slow a little bit, but I can still paint once he's in bed.  I'm expecting Vow III done before I go to get him and onto Vow IV (The one I'm looking forward to most me thinks).

Made the decision to sell/trade my Tau project army off to fund more Deathwing stuff.  It looks like a Land Raider Achilles is in my future, and maybe something else that'll be unique and shiny :D

Best,

Paul

I love scoring cheap models on trading sites.  I've gotten all the models I need to finish my planned vows, plus the rest of the Deathwing Knights that won't make it to the vows this time.  

I've just about convinced myself that I want to go for a LR Achilles - just need to sell my Tau and I will be placing that next oh-so-wonderful Forgeworld order.  

Best,

Paul

I thought that these Contemptors would be a welcomed break from painting Terminators, but they've not been.  Oh well.  Been kind of burnt out but plan on doing some painting this afternoon.  

I should wrap up the contemptors today.  I need some bits in the mail to arrive to get my 2nd CML installed onto the body that needs it.

Best,

Paul

• 1 month later...

Depressing to see so much of my log gone, oh well.

I have finished painting the 5 and 6 man squads for my ETL II.

I will post all the before and after pictures shortly.

Paul

Well,

The ETL II is over for me.  I have finished my Fifth Vow, and have a grand total of 5,027 points for the event.  The blow by blow is listed below for each vow;

ETL Vow I

Sargent w/Powersword and Stormbolter
Powerfist and Assault Cannon x2
Powerfist and Stormbolter x7

480pts

ETL Vow II

Sergeant w/Powersword and Stormbolter
Chainfist and Stormbolter
Powerfist and Assault Cannon
Lightning Claws

Lightning Claws
Lightning Claws
Lightning Claws and Cyclone Missile Launcher
Powerfist and Stormbolter

Powerfist and Plasma Cannon
Lightning Claws
Lightning Claws
Lightning Claws
Lightning Claws
Powerfist and Stormbolter
Thunderhammer and Stormshield

980pts

ETL Vow III

Mortis Pattern Contemptor Dreadnought with Dual Las Cannons and Cyclone Missile Launcher x3

Sargeant w/Powersword and Stormbolter

1170pts

ETL Vow IV

DW Command Squad with TH//SS and DW Company Banner, Champion, Apothecary, LC x2, and Assault Cannon + Chain Fist

Librarian in TDA + Stormbolter

710 points

ETL Vow V

Chaplain in Terminator Armor + Combi Plasma
Chaplain in TDA + Lion's Roar & MoR

Chainfist and Storm Bolter
Powerfist and Storm Bolter

Lightning Claws x2
Lightning Claws x2
Lightning Claws x2

1672pts

A total of 77 models.  74 Terminators and 3 Dreadnoughts.  All in all, it was a good painting run for me, and has put me in a very good position for our upcoming Apocalypse game at the end of the month.  I still have a long road to walk in regards to getting the rest of my army painted, but this is a great start.  

Finishing the "new" command squad was a big push in the right direction for me, and now that I have (2) TDA Command Squads, I can play the list I wanted to play at 2500 points against a local guy.  We want to show the newer local players what 'Ard Boyz used to look like.  

I spent last night after getting the pictures taken and posted preparing the boxes of DW Knights that I've had laying around, priming the last of the Terminators I needed to get going, laying out bases to prep them for DW Knights, and assembling a 6th Librarian (for whatever reason).  I need to head down to Hobby Lobby and pick up another roll of cork to get those bases finished, but they're on my list of things to do.  

All in all, it was a good run.  I feel good about the part I played in this years ETL, and I hope that my brethren continue their push towards completion.  I'll be taking pictures in the next few weeks of the completed army of 100 terminators, and I need to go through the hobby closet to make sure that I get everything that still needs built onto the pile of things to do.

Best,

Paul

Archived