whats a mortis pattern dreadnought??

A dreadnought variant used exclusively by the Dark Angels and their successors, introduced in Forge World's Imperial Armour Volume 2. The rules used to be available in a pdf from this downloads page on Forge World's website but I can't find them now. Essentially it's a dreadnought with the same heavy weapon (or twin-linked heavy weapon) on each arm and, following the 6th edition update still available from that link, it gains the interceptor and skyfire rules if it doesn't move. It still baffles me why it didn't make it into Codex: Dark Angels.

Because they didn't want to give us an obvious anti-air unit making the flyers/devastators obsolete in that aspect.

Really, a TLAC Mortis standing still has a pretty decent chance to knocking out most flyers in one turn.

The biggest, if only, downside to the Mortis is the lack of Deathwing vehicle upgrade.

so a list for idk say 2000 is the most common in my area 

obiviously belial but which load out is best 

and id like to start with 3 units of termies 2 ranged and one cc orientated to put belial in   or is he better to put in a shooty squad?

with this what should i do next? i Like dreads for the model and the firepower (idk about cc for them) and i love the land raiders potential although never used one and am leaning toward the godhammer variant. 

how do you buy this mortis dread and will most places accept his rules???

The best loadout for Belial depends on how you intend to use him. I use the storm shield and thunder hammer because it was the best in the previous codex (only way to give him an invulnerable save) and I want to get plenty of mileage from the conversion I did last year. With his new special rules and iron halo the storm bolter and Sword of Silence version has gained popularity and I plan to get a model for that in the near future. Conversely, with lightning claws being AP3 they've fallen out of favour but an extra attack and re-rolls to wound still has its uses.

I've never found dreadnoughts to be all that useful in close combat. I always feel that they need more attacks to be used offensively so I prefer them to support my Deathwing with long-ranged anti-tank weapons that the terminators lack, but they can tarpit many units quite effectively.

The godhammer land raider is also good for that long-ranged anti-tank firepower but a minimum sized squad of five terminators fills it with no space for an attached independent character. I would typically only use one as a second land raider alongside a crusader or redeemer. I prefer infantry over vehicles anyway so it's not something I have a lot of experience with.

You can construct a mortis dreadnought from a standard dreadnought model using the twin-linked lascannon or missile launcher left arm, supplemented with a matching right arm from Forge World. If you want to use the heavy bolter or autocannon versions you'll need to obtain left and right arms for your dreadnought chassis. Any tournament or gaming group that accepts Forge World rules will likely be fine with you using one but if in doubt ask first. Some people are a bit wary of anything that's not from the core rules (ie main rulebook and codex) but this is not the place to re-hash that tired debate.

For list-building advice I suggest visiting the Dark Angel Army Lists forum. joshuarad2's Deathwing woes....need help thread is a good place to start. At 2000 points I feel that three scoring units is the minimum and four is better. You will probably have to make a hard choice between including Deathwing Knights or a Deathwing Command Squad. I lean towards the command squad with a Standard of Fortitude.

Command Squad is best for a DW army, DWK for a DW element as part of a Ravenwing or Greenwing army. That's my advice anyway :)

Oh and Never leave home without a Rifleman Dread! :tu:

well id rather have the land raider without the flamestorm cannons the crusader i think. 

and i was thinking of usually 2 rifleman dreads for  anti-vehicle power and a really shooty terminator unit for anti infantry 

what about a lascannon plasmacannon dread with an assault cannon missle launcher(lascannon) dread

are the knights to expensive in points or you just dont like them (they dont perform well)??

The trouble with the knights in a Deathwing army is that they displace a scoring unit, and with a relatively low model count that hurts. The command squad with an appropriate banner is a force multiplier, enhancing other units nearby. When you're fielding 20+ terminators the knights don't add as much as they do to an army that consists primarily of bikes or tactical squads.

Mine are still work in progress and I've yet to use them but by all accounts they are an effective unit.

ok so my load out for 1500 - 2000 is 2 land raider crusaders belial and chaplain with cc oriented squads

where should i go from here??

Probably into the Army List sub-forum to post your current list, say what points you want to expand it up to, and put a link to it in this thread. Hopefully then some of the contributors here will follow you there and help you round out your list :)

Archived