Demon Flying Circus

montegue

Personally, I feel a single model monstrous creature issuing challenges is a bit much, but that is a different issue.

With that high of a concentration of flyers, it is a hell of a thing to manage with just SW. An ADL is good to ground one as it comes in, then use LF or massed fire to kill it once its grounded. Stay in buildings and area terrain to force its initiative down or hope you can hit it with a Thunderhammer.

Arjac would do well as long as you can make that 3++ a few times, but with around 5 clowns with wings, he would be hard pressed to take on two before the game ends, plus its very easy for them to just avoid him, thus negating 188pts.

Lone wolf on an ADL and a ton of LFs is my advice. Good thing is, this lineup would do well vs most lists.

For the OP: Unless I am mistaken, every hit (not wound) from a discrete unit (grey hunters a, grey hunters b, etc) calls for a grounding test to a flying monstrous creature.  The grounded test rules are critical against this type of army list, so definitely make sure you're following them closely as well as any updates to the FAQ.

Whenever possible, use bolters (volume of fire) to bring them down to gliding mode (plus that grounding test potentially causing a wound) where they can be targeted normally by your long fangs to finish them off with their more valuable firepower.  True, you can only expect to kill a couple of them this way on a good day before they plow into your units, but it is better than the long fangs firing first and hoping for the best and then spattering the (hopefully) gliding FMC with ineffective bolter fire.

The other thing to consider in games against the FMC Flying Circus is that most of those lists are almost always thin on troops units.  If playing for objectives, you can put the hurt on their troops and seriously limit their chances of winning (without tabling you), especially if you can have your wolf scouts or Saga of the Hunter IC led grey hunters pop out in the enemy deployment zone later in the game when they've moved their FMCs forward to assault your units.

Brother Eyes, if it isn't too much hassle for you to do, would you be able to do a brief diagram in paint to show us they way you would have the unit set up pre charge?

2-3 Contemptor Mortis with a pair of khres assault cannons... pretty hard no to love them, just have to ally in SM to unlock them because SW dont have them for some stupid freakin reason!!!

pfff... keep your units in terrain as much as possible, bring them down with bolterfire, kill them with heavy weapons once they're down, and if they assault you, they'll fight at ini 1 due to not having grenades, so the rune priest can come in and tickle him to death with his stick of daemonslapping

pfff... keep your units in terrain as much as possible, bring them down with bolterfire, kill them with heavy weapons once they're down, and if they assault you, they'll fight at ini 1 due to not having grenades, so the rune priest can come in and tickle him to death with his stick of daemonslapping

Stick of daemonslapping, I think that is my favorite new warhammer term. Hehehe

Have any of you faced the Grimoire, Fateweaver styled army. One DP uses the Grimoire on either fate weaver or allied chaos marine Tzeentchian DP. This improves their inv save to +2.   If a tzeentchian DP fails their save with a one they get to re-roll. 

If I remember correctly, they can only reroll armour saves, not invulnerable. I could be wrong as the CSM player I face doesn't use tzeentch often. (Slaneesh mostly)

Tzeentch daemons can re roll all saving throw results of one.

Hrmm... double FOC sounds better and better for that 2nd fortification slot msn-wink.gif

Im wondering about this myself- I havent faced the new chaos daemons as players in my area seem to be avoiding the new book. Ive been thinking that dual-heavybolter landspeeders might be a good way to force alot of grounding checks quickly, and then long fanging them to death once they hit the ground as a possibility, but that is a highly tailored list in my opinion.

Am I the only one who thinks Tempests Wrath should work on flyers in general?

*blinks* Wait a second. A Flying Monstrous Creature that is gliding or swooping moves just like a jump monstrous creature. That means theyd have to take a dangerous terrain test. Its not the be all end all of monster killing, but every bit helps right?

I have been saying it should effect flyers since 6th came out, but it would have to be retooled as they never make terrain tests. (While swooping)

Living Lightning is good for forcing the grounding tests so long as you don't roll poorly for the number of shots.

I also think it would be cool if chooser of the slain also worked for snap shots and overwatch. Bs2 is twice as good as bs1.

I think the Daemon army requires a very good general to win competitively. It's also still fairly new and there are a lot of combinations and different things to match up well. One of those things, which started this thread, is increasing the survivability of the MC's with psychic abilities. Getting Iron arm, Endurance and the witchcraft power which gives you wounds back can help to keep them alive. Also getting invisibility from Telepathy, stacking on top of a nurgle daemons shrouded, makes it very difficult to shoot them to death.

It's easy to win competitively with the flying circus if you simply wipe them by turn three. What it's best at, though, is tournament trolling. You take that list knowing full well it's limited ability to actually win objective games, so you're not ever in the running for Overall, but you will ruin the day of several other generals. 

• 5 months later...

Dug up this posted as Im going to a tournament specifically beard/cheese type thats the theme!!! and i know the circus will be in town

was thinking of running njal with 2 supporting rune priests the then the typical LF and GH squads, WS bikes as allies with a stalker and agies as well as some inquistors for div powers

1850 total

the priests will be the main effort against demons tau necrons orks and denying eldar, problems will be SM and CSM

thoughts?

Something I learned the hard way with the nids in my local meta is to always remember to shoot your rhinos and drop pods first. Usually you'll get 1 or 2 hits which cause that magic grounding test. In fact having a good shooting order of operation is key to defeating a FMC army or any army. Mine usually is Transports>Infantry>Tanks>Long Fangs that way I maximize my chances of grounding before I use up my most potent weapons. Something else to think about while shooting your infantry in step two is if you have a GH squad with a RP with JOWW save his squad till last as if another unit of infantry grounds popping that Jaws then is awesome...

Archived