our super-unit... thoughts?

There was a thread about this on dakka that concluded that we'd get a giant penitent engine, an overcosted Lightning-light and some kind of glowing flying doom cathedral of ineffectiveness.

Id like to know what the B&C sisters community thinks. Personally i'd like something like an Angel Interceptor for our flier to compliment the ground-attack Avenger, and perhaps something like a scaled up Sentinel squadron with Sisters pilots, DCCW and melta-cannon mounts or exorcist mounts. Something distinct from the other big walkers but not a MC version of the penitent engine.

What are you talking about Furyou Miko, That would require Games Workshop to actually DO something for sisters. 

But if they did, then they would put 'If facing Gray Knights, this unit self distructs when it is deployed'

I am having a hard time coming up with a SoB super unit that is in the vain of "big nasty MC" like we have been seeing.  I suspect that a huge tank, a pocket baneblade sized with a nasty array of torrent flame weapons would be more fluffy and cool.  immagine a SoB AV14 tank armed with 2 sponsons that can have either, 2 Torrent S7 AP 3 flamer sponsons or Heavy Hurricane Bolters (3 TW hvy bolters each).  Then add in a main gun that can either be a Torrent S8 AP2 Flamer, or a twin-linked Tri-Melta (36 inch range, with the Melta rule).  Naturally it would have Shield of Faith, that could be udgraded with some sort of blessed hull upgrades that can make it ignore the Lance special rule. 

It would be a beast on the field.  So long as it is pointed correctly it should be both fun and fair.  Im guessing 250 points, making it a killy land raider, with options to tool it up with other deffensive weapons if you wish, sort of like how landraiders can take MM, stormbolters, etc.   

I like the thought of a giant angelic creature like the Living Saint in Dawn of War. A flying monstrous creature.

As for our 'giant mech' I think we shouldn't have one. When I try and think of what we would get, I can't think of anything unique enough to fit the Sisters. I would rather some more diverse units or another tank type. I think Sisters would be a good place to put something a little different.

(A mechanised statue of the God Emperor would be cool)

Personally I don't really think Super-Heavies would match Sisters, but if we HAD to have one then I guess it would be some cathedral tank, think super Exorcist. Or maybe a flying cathedral.

OR an actual Cathedral - like the fortifications in the rulebook but tougher and stuff.

A big Penitent Engine would be possible, but a big super saint (especially angelic looking one) would take away from Celestine's uniqueness.

I just hope it would be a bit different from the Space Marines or Imperial Guard, like Exorcist is different to Predator.

I'm picturing, not that I really hope for it, but some massive construct with penintents nailed to it. Like a shrike does with its prey and a thorn bush. But all armed with flamers and meltas. If anyone has read the Dan Simmons sci-fi seriesThe Hyperion Cantos; I think it is the second book, the tree of pain is described. That was what immediately popped into my head.

I, personally, would much rather see like to see a mobile sanctuary of sorts, not a walker, a larger version of the exorcist, done well... Maybe even a flying relic, similar to the dark talon but bigger. Much bigger.

But the best thing for us would be plastic kits of any kind. Or really any kind of attention at all.

Just changing the PE to be an Elite choice would be a boon.  Giving it a 12" move would be outstanding.

When you start considereing GW's philosophy in game design, you have to remember they did not think of cool rules and then model those ideas.  The inspiration comes in the other direction.  They make cool models and then try to think about what it does.  Take any model you have, show it to a 9 year old who has never heard of 40K and tell them it is a future space fighter and ask him what it does.  That's your new SoB codex.  It may not have MC or flyers or anything with skyfire at all, but  I would bet the farm that those cheriub/trumpet looking things on the vehicle sprues  will have some special rule in the next printed codex.

>< I have this horrible feeling we'll get Flying Monstrous Creatures: Giant cyber-eagles, possibly with riders.

Only if they have two heads to resemble the Aquillia. One will have it's eyes put out to further match the icon.

Well, wasn't there some old fluff about Emperor-class titans and an entire regiment of SoB being embarked in the legs of one?

It'd be quite a "super-unit" I reckon, if a bit unlikely, especially considering the size and points of the model.

I suspect the Sisters will get a modified Aquila-lander in plastic. Forgeworld discontinued the model more than six months ago and another flyer model that got discontinued made its way into the Dark Angels army in a fashion, the Nephilim.. Make the Sister flyer similar to the Imperial Guard Valkyrie/Vendetta with an anti-infantry or anti-armor load out while still having troop capacity.

I like the idea of giving Sisters beefier tanks alongside the AV 13 Exorcist/Repressor, hard shells with gooey good centers! Expand that by making an AV 13/14 floating cathedral/reliquary/shrine that provides buffs to nearby faithful and burns the heathen nearby with its sheer presence, ala the Monolith. We already have art for one, so.. you know.

Something that could do with being explored is the relationship between the AdMech and Sororitas. It has to be a lot tighter than what we often say or think. The Exorcist tank, the Immolator (blame Cruddace), the missionary order and Explorator fleets, heretic purging, the army wide bolters and power armor.. Coin makes up for a lot of it, but it will not explain all of it. The average Sister may feel reluctance and loathing towards the cogs, but the Palatine's and higher ups understand the necessity. What new weapon of war would the AdMech give exclusive rights of to the Sisters to best fulfill their divine duty? Hmm.

Well if they wanted to give SoB a flier, piloted by a Sister, they would have to retcon the fluff. And personally i think they shoud, i dont like the idea of having to rely on a Navy pilot for any SoB flier. Hew GW loves to change fluff so what about the Ecclisiarch himself decreeing SoB get better things..

As for a super-unit, well PE's should have the choice of being CC or lots of guns. As for a tank, i think a floating cathedral is silly, please explain how they made that, unless Ward says the Mechanicus converted a Necron Monolith for the SoB.

But a mobile cathedral the size of a Baneblade can work.

Think battlements for Sisters, lots of Heavy Bolters, a large weapon  and boost to all SoB. Mobile shrine of a saint can work.

Or as GW seem to be fond atm, a giant PE as mentioned with say three heretics entombed to it.

On the topic of flyers, I personally wouldn't want the Sisters be independent from the Navy (no one but the Space Marines should be), but I wouldn't mind if they were gifted a few thousands by the AdMech for doing them a solid or something. That way the faction still needs the Navy and is a primarily a short range, ground based army, but each mission can have two or three of them brought along just in case, obviously piloted by Seraphims.

As for a flying cathedral, imagine a some sort of ancient flying fortress from the Dark Age of Technology, only one remaining and in the possession of Ecclesiarchy. Over the millennia the exterior was modified and adorned with many symbols of their faith, but a few chosen AdMech still remain in it's bowel and make sure this miracle of science stays in the air thanks to it's anti-gravity engines. Who knows.

I think we should get an artillery unit, so T7 W2 and a 3+ save, manned by 2 sisters (with an option to take extra) and it carries a torrent firestorm cannon.  Yes, that would mean it could move and shoot.

Nah, they should be defined by their lack of aircraft, but instead have plentiful organic AA in the units. Perhaps the retributors get skyfire and rending as part of their act of faith, Exo's could get a 5 point sensor dome upgrade for the skyfire/intercept combo.

Oh, oh... The Fifty Foot Warrior Nun uses her giant bolter to peg them off. <- There, now you need the bizzare new kit to deal with flyers.

I'd rather the sisters remain unique, even though I like the idea of SoB fliers. Might even convert a Nephilim if Forge World ever deigns making Adepta Sororitas etched brass. But I really don't want some mega walker of doom-and-power-rangers-villains. Besides being dumb, everyone and their mutant gets one those days, unless they're tank nuts (i.e. imperial guard). Like High Elves not getting monstrous cavalry in their update, I'd rather we keep a different playstyle than everyone becoming a flavor of each other.

Also, I'd rather get a sisters centrepiece as opposed to an ecclesiarchy one. But then again, I want the SoB codex to be about them only. But then we're Marines-lite. Damn.

That said, there's a slight - slight - chance we don't get a mine-is-bigger-than-yours model if we're updated, because there's so much to update to plastics... well, everything save the Immolator actually. So maybe we won't get a stupidzord... or at least not in the first wave.

...because there's so much to update to plastics... well, everything save the Immolator actually.

Actually, about the immolator, I personally feel that it needs an update as well. I just recently bought a couple from GW and I gotta say the moulds are not as sharp as the more recent plastic kits put out there.

Same as Marines, I don't think Sisters should have some mega unit (and Emperor save us from a megazord one). At most it should be some Imperial war machine requisitioned for the sisterhood, probably with suitable flamey/meltary/holy additions. The Baneblade mods people have come up with seem most fitting (and pretty cool too).

Actually, about the immolator, I personally feel that it needs an update as well. I just recently bought a couple from GW and I gotta say the moulds are not as sharp as the more recent plastic kits put out there.

Soft Focus has been a staple of glamour imaging for decades, some times used specifically to conceal defects. Perhaps the sister who serves as the gunner is self concious. ;P

Along those lines; why not a Macharius or Malcador?

There's already a Malcador variant with an inferno gun (S7 hellstorm).

While the Macharius has a mega-bolter variant.

So lets say we get a Macharius with either the Mega-Bolter, or (twin-linked) Inferno Cannon/Gun.

Maybe the option for a Melta Cannon as well.

While giving the Exorcist a Flak Missile upgrade option.

The reason for the Macharius being that the Ecclesiarchy isn't deemed to be on the high-priority list for Baneblades/Variants, and thus gets the "second generation Baneblade" instead, with more suitable weapon options to keep the theme to the "holy trinity" of bolter/flamer/melta.

Also, Aquila Landers, darnit.

There are plenty of exposed rivets on rhino chassis. I know, I just sliced a load off turning a Rhino's side plating into a tails for my Avenger conversion.

I'm not sure what people mean by "Sisters, not Ecclesiarchy". The Sisters are Ecclesiarchy. If there is a trained soldier in the Ecclesiarchy, they are a Sister. Anyone else is a "priest with a hobby" or an untrained, underequipped rabble... or, I guess, an arco-flaggelant, but still. Those are all "Ecclesiarchy fighting forces", just like the Sisters (their army).

New codex?

Plastic Sister Squad + Heavy weapon upgrade sprue (sold separately no doubt, or in finecast and no missile launchers...)

Warshrine of the Emperor- gives a buff to all units withn 12"- their weapons get the soulfire ability, and has a 12" AOE blind it can use once per game. Sisters units- but not allies- are immune to the emperors light. Daemons test at -1 I. Larger than a leman Russ, heavy, and spouts two torrenting flamestorm cannons. 5 HP. Runs around 300pts, 350 with the blinding basilica of doom. Av 13/13/11

Seraphim stay metal, people cry.

Repentia gain fleet, move through cover, and righteous fervor- if within LOS of the enemy they run an extra d6". Armorbane.

Battle Pilgrims as a cheap horde-of-bodies units, ala chaos cultists.
+1 to deny the witch saves for all Soritas units, Eldar everywhere cry out in pain.

AA Version of the exorcist. In a dual kit with the immolator, both AV 13 fronts.
Thatd be my guess.

Archived