Codex Dark Angel and 6th ed. reviews.

I saw a similar topic in the chaos thread and was curious what DA players think now.

Well now the new codex has been out for about 6 months. The new codex smell is starting to wear off.

Many of us have had a good chance to play with all the toys. (New and updated units) Now with 5 new 6th ed codexes to compare to.

How do you feel about the new codex and its units?

Would you like or do we even need a supplemental codex? Like eldar just got and chaos and SM are rumored to get. Codex ”the fallen angels” anyone?

Here is my updated review.

Warlord traites : C-.

Overall nothing special. One good, one ok, and the rest meh. About the same with chaos. Not sure about demons, tau, or eldar. (I dont play them and I dont play against them often enough to judge)

Banners: A-

Im a big fan of them. I think they're a great addition to the dex. They can add lots of flavorful play to the different armies. Force multipliers.

Psychic powers : F--

Epic Fail. Mind worm gets an overhaul and we lose everything else. Im hugely disappointed about this. Chaos, demons, and eldar get new powers(some good & some bad) we get the shaft.

Wargear : B

I feel we did good here. We got some useful stuff and its pointed fairly. The PFG faq pissed me off a little bit.

Vehical Wargear : F

Basic crap. No love for the ironwing.

Relics : D-

we got 1 good one and 4 meh.

Named HQs: B-

Azzi, sammy, and belial are great. Zeke is good but under 2k other hqs would be more useful. Asmodei, sucks. I was hoping for something on par with asteroth. We got a f'ed over I chaplain with fear.

Generic HQs: B

Libbies and I. Chaplains are great utility hqs. All the command squads and the techmarines are good. What happened to the company master and chaplains? They are just overshadowed by better choices.

Deathwing: B-

Overall good. More cool rules, plasma cannons, and larger squad sizes with a small price(pts) hike. DWK are great and the 2nd best unit in the dex. The only thing wrong is the new faq that screws the sgt.s from changing weapons. golly gee! Really?

Green wing: C+

A much needed point adjustment and thats about it. Though I'm glad my gunslinger vets are still legal. Yaaaaa..

Ironwing: C+

Again no new toyes. Just an update and some repointing. It's a good thing but im kind of disappointed that was all we got. No mortis dreds, no predator executioner. Booo.

Ravenwing: A

Ravenwing got hooked up. 5 new units(3 suck). Black Knights(&RWCS) are awesome. Hands down the best unit in the codex. The RWAS got alot better and pointed correctly. I like that they kept the independent attackbikes and speeders. Speeder squadrons are cool. 5 typhoons anyone? Yes please.. The dark shroud is pretty cool once you figure out how to use it propperly. Just stay away from the vengeance and both fliers they're crap but you don't need them anyways. Everything else makes up for it. Really the only big negative thing going against them is that all the other new codexes have loads of ”ignore cover” stuff.(noisemarines, marker lights,etc)

overall: C+

Its a good update. I had hoped for a little more.

Epic Fail. Mind worm gets an overhaul and we lose everything else. Im hugely disappointed about this. Chaos, demons, and eldar get new powers(some good & some bad) we get the shaft.

I'm not sure what you were expecting here. There are obvious fluffy reasons why Chaos and Eldar would get their own psychic power tables but I'm less clear on why we should have had a DA-specific table, as opposed to the Zeke-specific power that we did get.  

What supplement could they possibly give us? The Fallen aren't an army. One of the Successor Chapters, even though they are stated to operate like the rest of the Unforgiven? Seems like a waste. Really doesn't seem like there is anything to supplement to me. We got a nice fluffy Codex that plays pretty well amongst the 6th Ed 'Dexes, nothing too over-powered, and while there are lackluster units that could have been better, there is nothing at this point that cripples our Codex for play like the last one did. We aren't currently outmatched, out ruled and out pointed everywhere, and hopefully it remains that way.

Comparing 5th Ed (even the 5th designed for 6th ones) to straight up 6th Ed ones isn't a fair match IMO, and hopefully all the 5th Ed 'Dexes get scaled back to 6th Ed levels.

The flyiers and LSV arn't crap, its just not your play style. I agree that the point costs for what you get isn't great though. I havn't had a problem with them in my lists I've ran them in.

OK, not sure how you get B- for the named HQs......You say 3 are great, 1 good and 1 rubbish.....I think that deserves a B+ personally...

Also Ironwing....if you were expecting the Predator Executioner then frankly you were deluding yourself!

Greenwing too.....they are much better....4 lascannon devastators for 150 points, 3 tactical squads pumping out 120 bolter rounds to 24" with the SoD for 420 points, or take a 5 man squad with a lascannon and a TL-las RBack for 165 points.....they are very good at the moment compared to where they came from...

But, overall, I think the problem is that by looking at sections in isolation, you are missing the point of the codex, which is that everything works in concert with everything else. You are also looking at things from a 5th Ed point of view, where every codex was supposed to trump everything that had gone before.....I don't see that happening in 6th Ed tbh

Green wing dose deserve a much better rating. I am pretty sure that the other marine codex's will get similarly priced tactical squads but whatever that dose not take away from how awesome our green wing boys are. They are so good I really want to build a full company of them lol

Banners: A-
Im a big fan of them. I think they're a great addition to the dex. They can add lots of flavorful play to the different armies. Force multipliers.

I'm still wondering who uses the Standard of Retribution (and how?) :D

Epic fail is the LSV... Design strange and rules crappy... But psy powers...

Man we get the divination which is complementary to our shooting ability and that vanilla can't have....

+ I'm not sure how DA shoul have their specific table as well... They are SM after all.

Ravenwing got hooked up. 5 new units(3 suck)

I'm not that critical with the flyers. When I see the new ones we're in line... I think they will tone down the flyers in the future and that ours will be ok.

If GW wanted us to take asmodai then they would have given him a rule that gives him a victory point for each character he kills :-}

And if they do supplement us just give us fluff for the known chapters! and a template for making our own supreme grand master and deathwing and ravenwing commanders for successor chapters so we don't have to run Belial or sammael or azrael! And a war gear chart like iyanden would rock!

Archived