Beyond the Praetors of Calth

apologist

Thanks, chaps. By the way, very glad to see those awesome Carcharodons being expanded, Tarvick :)

I'm very intrigued by your use of chromatic black. Would you mind describing the recipe a little more?

Certainly – the basic principle is to make a paint that is neutral in hue and very dark in tone, but with enough space at the bottom of the tonal range to allow for shading.

This can be produced by simply using a very dark grey (or by adding just a touch of white to pure black), but this results in a clean and rather lifeless paint colour. By mixing together naturally dark hues like Necron Abyss, Orkhide Shade etc., you introduce lots of different pigments that just barely suggest hints of colour, which adds interest to the resulting mix.

The important thing is to include a little dark red, a little dark green and a little dark blue to the mix. This ensures that no single colour is dominant which means the resulting mix is neutral. If you wish to lean the colour one way or the other, that's perfectly fine. In fact, I like to vary the proportions of the mixes between models (and armour plates) to deliberately introduce slight variance – a hint of red here, a touch of green there – though the black remains dominant in every case.

+++

I continued with some very minor work over the evening – lots of washes and re-layering to enrich the metals.

IMG_3273.JPG

IMG_3272.JPG

I also got the first layer of Boltgun Metal and Badab Black onto another five marines:

IMG_3274.JPG

So ten are well underway – which means that I'm within striking distance of my first full 20-man Legion Tactical squad in this new style. (Hooray!)

Also on the desk are a Rhino and a Contemptor dreadnought, but they're either at a very early (boring) stage or you've already seen them pretty much as they stand. These will be my 'reward' for finishing the Tactical squad – and then it's on to the Tactical Assault (Breacher) squad.

Now, the big question is markings... So far, the left shoulder pad of each of these newer-style of marines has remained largely blank except for a small Tactical symbol. Does this look good, or should I put some more detail on there? 

The broad strokes of the background for the new force (the 190th): The army is set during the late stages of the Heresy, and is involved in a long campaign against the Iron Warriors. It's much more sombre in tone than the Praetors of Calth, with more uniformity and less individuality. Where the Praetors of Calth were the Greeks the start of the Siege of Troy, full of pith and vinegar; the 190th are the Greeks just before the Odyssey – sick of the grinding war and filled with a dogged sense of duty as much as inspiration.

+++
I cracked on a bit further last night. Here's some WIPs.

IMG_3278.JPG

IMG_3281.JPG

IMG_3283.JPG

+++
A picture of three marines from different Legions, for comparison and interest.

IMG_3284.JPG

Just need a Blood Angel and a Space Wolf and I'd have representatives of Guilliman's 'dauntless few' biggrin.png

+++
...and finally, a Rhino, along with a marine for scale.
IMG_3286.JPG

I won't be making any adjustments to the scale of the vehicles in this army, for a number of reasons:

1) Interest – rescaling vehicles is a pain in the arse and doesn't hold my interest like infantry do.

2) Practicality – larger vehicles are harder to store and cause weird effects in-game.

3) Aesthetics – the FW Rhinos look beautiful, and I don't want to chop 'em up! In addition, with the 30mm bases my marines are on, they don't look nearly so large in comparison with the Rhino as my earlier marines on 40mm bases.

That said, I am experimenting with bases – these will match the vehicles to the army, lift them up a bit (which will add to their profile and height) and provide the opportunity for mini-dioramas.

Bases for the vehicles (as you've said) would help (plus, frankly, I'm surprised that the game doesn't them on bases anyway).

I may be wrong, but I'm given to understand that the Imperium's vehicles come from designs that were meant for normal-sized humans anyway, and that the Mechanicus doesn't mess with that sort of stuff on a scale large enoguh to outfit Marines with Marine-sized vehicles (though this justification works better for 40k than 30k).

• 1 month later...

Brother Mimas
IMG_3396.JPG
+ Duo-vidlink: cross your eyes until images converge +

IMG_3397.JPG

Equipped with boltgun, power armour and unshakeable conviction, Brother Mimas proved an exemplar of the XIII Legion during the Purges of Chaeronea. He was struck by a grav-beam during the second advance on Piritol, which resulted in permanent disablement.

IMG_3398.JPG

IMG_3399.JPG

Brother Seyfreid
IMG_3394.JPG
+ Duo-vidlink: cross your eyes until images converge +

IMG_3392.JPG
The studding on the lower part of Seyfreid's leg armour shows field-rigged support struts designed to baffle the detection systems of krak mines. The Iron Warriors made extensive use of minefields, with a mixture of weight-triggered, manually-detonated and more esoteric measures. In turn, the Ultramarine advance deployed increasingly creative countermeasures.

IMG_3391.JPG
Seyfreid's combat blade scabbard bears a common chequered motif. It sits alongside a purity seal which marks him as an associate of the Chaplaincy. Tasked with monitoring psyk-potential line troopers following the dissolution of the Librarius, the role of such monitors became increasingly important after Guilliman's reversal of the Edict of Nikea.

IMG_3390.JPG
Unusually, Seyfreid's armour is powered by a Mark IV Notts-pattern generator pack.

IMG_3389.JPG
Meditation notes, written on dried mnemo-leather, are secured beneath Seyfreid's hip protection plate. They have either lost their protective scrollcase and become unravelled during action, or are deliberately exposed as combat decoration.

Please do – that'd be much appreciated smile.png

Painting-wise, I've been distracted by filthy Xenos for a big finale to a campaign my gaming group have been running. Since then, we've been recovering and gearing up for the next big push – an M37-era campaign telling the story of an Imperial invasion of ork space...

IMG_3091.JPG

If you've got any more ideas for regiment or ork tribes, please feel free to post 'em up – I've had some really great ones so far smile.png Where, might I ask, is that sergeant from? He'd be perfect in my warzone Imperial army

Where might I ask did you find that sergeant in the middle? He'd be perfect as an Ordnance Officer for my warzone Imperial army.

• 1 month later...

Brother-sergeant Ruon

IMG_3518b.jpg

The grinding hum of his protesting armour became a squeal as he rolled his injured shoulder. His left eyelid twitched. Even the Unsleeping of an Astartes couldn't completely compensate for the month-long denial of rest. Like every other Fist on the wall, his muscles burned.

IMG_3504.JPG

He would endure. He was seventh Legion. He tightened his hand into a fist, supressing the ache and pain. It trembled.

IMG_3516.JPG

'Walls fail! Fists do not!', he cried, thrusting his arm upwards. 'At them!'

IMG_3520.JPG

+ Ruon, Brother Sergeant; VII Legio, Chapter IV. KIA 30,014, I-day +37. +

IMG_3505.JPG

I love you and hate you in equal measure, Apologist. Absolutely amazing job.

Sometime soon, I'm gonna need your secrets for your truescaling, good sir.

Archived