Beyond the Praetors of Calth

apologist

Mouthwatering.... Some serious business happening here.

Must say I love your Campaign thread over on Warseer, great battles, great fluff and g-g-g-g-great miniatures.

That fist is a real beauty

Nice.

[1000Heathens]Sometime soon, I'm gonna need your secrets for your truescaling, good sir.

*waves mechadendrites around* Not the omophagea!

Let me know if there's anything I can help with – I've had loads of great inspiration from truescale luminaries like Doghouse, Lamenter and Synapse; and it's good to share smile.png

Great work all round bud, you've reminded me to sculpt trims for the shoulder guards.

The shoulder pad trims are probably the most fiddly bit of the process, but there are a few ready-made bits that work nicely out of the box. The Imperial Fist here uses a shoulder pad from the Forgeworld Captain Culln in terminator armour – the only work was gently scraping away the Scorpion symbol.

Very nice stuff mate! thumbsup.gif

Especially loving the Imperial Fist.

As soon as I get my shoulder pad problems sorted I'll be getting my IW ready for the fight.

Ta – and great to hear from you. We must set a date for that game at some point; I always work better to a deadline. In fact; remind me to let you know about the (rather nebulous) PCRC invitational.

[

Plague Angel] Nova nova nova

biggrin.png

Argh, too many ideas for this guy! Thanks all for your thoughts smile.png

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks very much, Chickenleg – great to have encouraging posts! smile.png

+++

Forces of the Scallop Stars: 8

+ Clan Company Trago +

IMG_3625.JPG

+ For the eleven years of the war, Guard regiments, mercenaries and Ministorum Orders were regularly retired from, or cycled into, the front line by Imperial High Command; creating an endless meatgrinder of fresh forces to confound the orks. The Astartes pledges were a different matter. +

+ Unbeholden to the High Command, some Astartes forces – like the Ishilites, Chapter Castellan and Valedictors – served on the frontline for the entire duration of the war. Others, like the Ultramarines and mysterious Sons of Spectra, withdrew after a certain time or event as they felt their pledge had been kept or honour satisifed. Still more were forced to back-line duties by casualties, emergency or, in the case of the Scarlet Blades, their destruction. +

+ Nevertheless, eleven years can be a long time in the void. The vicissitudes of warp communication and travel meant that requests for support – sent decades before current events – were received throughout the campaign. One such request was received by Clan Company Trago, an Iron Hands force serving in the Prodigium Os subsector. Once their xenocidal campaign against the Sheen was completed to his satisfaction, leaving the nascent alien empire in ruins, the Clan translated to the Antona Australis sector and joined the Purges in the fifth year of the war.

+ They served with laudable devotion throughout the remainder of the campaign, though their understrength disposition – following the Sheen campaign – meant they were largely restricted to support and void operations for a number of years. +

+ As befits a founding Legion associated with reverence for the Machine, the Iron Hands of Clan Trago exhibited a number of different armour marks during the Purges:

+ Mark VI

IMG_3606.JPG

+ Mark IV

IMG_3610.JPG

+ Mark III

IMG_3618.JPG

+ Mark VII

IMG_3614.JPG

+ While some are touched by the loathing of the flesh known amongst those of Iron Hand geneseed, the Clan sternly prohibits physical excision except in cases of damage. As a result, the Clan exhibits fewer visible bionic upgrades than typical; sleeving essential replacements beneath armaplas and ceramite.

+ Following core Iron Hands beliefs of self-reliance and strength, those of Clan Trago make full use of their post-human anatomy; though those who do suffer injury are quick to argue the case for bionic or augmetic replacement if it will help them return to the field of battle more swiftly.

+++

A bit of a side-project, these were used for a blogpost on painting black and using a limited palette. The link to my blog (Death of Rubricist) is in my signature if you're interested. Hope you like 'em!

• 2 weeks later...

More Iron Hands – built and painted the army in a frenzy over the weekend – on my recently-homemade board:

IMG_3639.JPG

IMG_3646.JPG

IMG_3649.JPG

+++

Also. here's my next WIP, a Great Crusade-era Ferrus Manus:

IMG_3720.JPG

Having done the flexible undersuit sections and bulk areas earlier using greenstuff, I'm blocking in the basic shapes of the armour at the moment using a mix of greenstuff and ProCreate.

IMG_3719.JPG

I really like the FW model, but he didn't quite fit my image of Ferrus (not ugly enough!) I thought I'd use this force as an excuse to build a model earlier in his career. Ferrus was the third Primarch found, so he was fighting during the early Crusade. We don't hear much of that, and I thought it'd be fun to build a younger, ambitious Ferrus and record his exploits.

That leads to a couple of questions – while his armour will (almost necessarily) be an artificer-made one-off, should I add some details that link it into a particular armour mark (e.g. studs for a proto-mark V; ring-shaped sections for mark II etc.), or do you think a purely individual suit would be better?

I currently like the gem on the pendant, as it'll be possible to add some lightning strikes or wings around it as the centrepiece of his chest armour; but I wonder if it'd be cooler to cover it and add a gorgon device or other similar decoration?

Further progress on Ferrus

IMG_3721.JPG

IMG_3722.JPG

IMG_3723.JPG

IMG_3724.JPG

Armour on the upper arms, or not? The fists at least need to be visible, and while I'd prefer the forearms to be bare, I don't fancy trying to rescuplt musculature at that level.

I'm also wondering whether to go for cataphract style layered shoulder armour, or big ol' pauldrons.

• 2 weeks later...

Ferrus is coming along quite nicely. He has a classic feel to him, which I like. Can't wait to see where he goes! The Iron Hands marines also look really awesome, I like the limited pallet approach. How long did it take to paint them up?

-Tarvik

He looks gorgeous (In an "I deserve the title Gorgan" sort of way). I think a Ferrus-made artificer Mk II set of armor would look very striking compared to other FW primarchs.

Also, Ferrus was found 4th, don't you try to edge out my Primarch msn-wink.gif

The Iron Hands marines also look really awesome, I like the limited pallet approach. How long did it take to paint them up?

Aside from the test model, I painted 'em up over a weekend. Very quick, thought I would like to go back and add some weathering etc.

Huh. I saw the model before I read the text, and I thought you were making a Thunder Warrior, lol.

Funnily enough, I do havea load of bulky barbarian models lurking around from an abortive Thunder Warrior project. The plan was to do something along these lines with 'em. Might have a dig around at some point smile.png

He looks gorgeous (In an "I deserve the title Gorgan" sort of way). I think a Ferrus-made artificer Mk II set of armor would look very striking compared to other FW primarchs.

Ta very much!

Also, Ferrus was found 4th, don't you try to edge out my Primarch

'We do not speak of him; nor his separate tragedy.' he murmured, near-silently.

Huge fan of Icarion and the Lightning Bearers (yeah, that's my vote); your project is a wellspring of well-thought out and executed ideas and inspiration. I haven't commented much on it, but I'll take the opportunity to encourage everyone to check 'em out if they haven't already. smile.png

(Oh, and to finish, here's one for Darth Potato, as he asked so nicely msn-wink.gif)

+++

+ inload: Brother Veridias +

IMG_3745a.jpg

Opening the helmet's grille, he exhaled raggedly. A mist of aerosolised blood hung briefly in the hot still air under the void shields.

IMG_3746.JPG

Blinking to clear his head, he chewed the side of his tongue thoughtfully; a childhood habit that hypno-docrination had not removed.

IMG_3747.JPG

He took a tighter grip on his boltgun and looked down at the counter on the back. Seven rounds remaining. Sufficient.

IMG_3748.JPG

Scarred and pitted, his armour wheezed and creaked as he turned to move out; its slick motions reduced in parts to juddering, squealing protest.

IMG_3749.JPG

Still. The walls must be held. Sacrifices must be made. He chewed the side of his tongue.

+++

They say you should always kill them. Ultramarines. If you make one your enemy, do not allow him to live. Do not spare him. Leave an Ultramarine alive, and you leave room for retribution. Only when he is dead are you safe from harm. That is what they say.

IMG_3752.JPG

Highlighting completed on these fellas; just the bases, eyes and scratches to go. All the markings completed... unless I decide to add a fire-breathing horse. :)

IMG_3753.JPG

fancy giving us the secret recipe?

Simple! I crush my enemies' heads down to tiny size.

Joking aside, it sounds like it'd be a fun blog post to write, so I'll see what I can do. :)

fancy giving us the secret recipe?

Simple! I crush my enemies' heads down to tiny size.

Joking aside, it sounds like it'd be a fun blog post to write, so I'll see what I can do. smile.png

Please do consider, I'd really enjoy any of your insight on this.

The Ultras look great, though Veridias just beats them out for most attractive, I'm afraid.

Make sure to touch up that lick of yellow paint that snuck onto his right backpack vent, though. Because, you know, it'll eat away at you while laying in bed at night if you don't. ermm.gif ph34r.png

Make sure to touch up that lick of yellow paint that snuck onto his right backpack vent, though.

Yes, thanks for pointing that out. Had a check and it doesn't seem to be there on the miniature, oddly. Some odd camera artefact, or perhaps (more likely!) just a loose flake of dried paint from my painting table?

+++

Warrior-Kings of Ultramar

IMG_3756.JPG

Sixteen marines completed as of last night; so just four more to my first full Tactical squad. *Dances legs down to the knees*

IMG_3755.JPG

Praetor-pattern armour

IMG_3760.JPG

Three examples of Praetor armour in the new golden (rather than old yellow) scheme. What do you think?

Archived