Weapon case colours help

Hello everyone, 

I am undecided on what colours I shall paint the cases of my Dark Angels. I started off by painting them red but I was unsure if it made them look too much like Christmas marines so I painted one of them black. I'm not a brilliant painter and my photography is terrible so please bear that in mind. I will also be redoing the black bolter case so the highlight is not so stark.

Bolter case comparison

I honestly can't choose between them so if you can tell me which one looks more aesthetically pleasing that would be great. If you have any tips for other aspects of the model/s that would be also be greatly appreciated.

Cheers. 

(as a side note I can't for the life of me work out how to make the image bigger. Knowing me it's probably something really obvious that I missed).

Ahhh, another Brother meets the age old problem - red or black bolters......

Judging from earlier threads the answers will firmly fall into 2 sides

1. Black (BACT - Brothers Against Christmas Trees)

2. Red (OSB - Old School Brothers - GW used to paint the bolters red in an earlier life)

My own vote is for a very dark red (Scab red with Devlan mud wash highlighted in blood red) as this avoids the Xmas look smile.png

Other threads

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/272394-bolter-colours/?hl=%2Bbolter+%2Bcolour&do=findComment&comment=3322743

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/250450-red-guns/?hl=%2Bbolter+%2Bcolour&do=findComment&comment=3036439

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/209884-what-colour-do-you-paint-your-dark-angelss-bolters/?hl=bolter+colour&do=findComment&comment=2510029

Ahhh, another Brother meets the age old problem - red or black bolters......

2. Red (OSB - Old School Brothers - GW used to paint the bolters red in an earlier life)

Dude, what do you mean "used to"...the bolters are still red in the new codex.....just not a shiny 1980s bright red! smile.png

I'd go with Red Gore, washed with black, then highlighted with blood red, so similar but not quite as dark as Elmo suggested.

Dude, what do you mean "used to"...the bolters are still red in the new codex.....just not a shiny 1980s bright red! smile.png

So they are - just my age showing (my brain is not as good as it used to be wallbash.gif ).

I just meant to say old school as red bolters have been around for donkeys years but black does make a showing at times ;)

I saw black in some codex art when I first started DA (my first army was IG), and just went with it, not knowing that it was "wrong."  When I did realize that it was nonstandard, I decided that the black looks...well, more weapon-like, and the model looks...darker, obviously.  Sure, modern materials make the entire rainbow possible in terms of weapon colors even today, and we're talking tens of millenia into the future here, but I'm still biased against weapon cases that aren't flat, drab, natural (or black, which isn't natural) colors or metallic.  Just because you can carry this:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2556/4124770730_52aec36d5a_o.jpg

...doesn't mean you should!

Thanks for all the help, I think I will continue with the red cases but I will darken it as some of you suggested. This should stop them from appearing as christmas marines, plus it should mesh with the Deathwing and Ravenwing elements of the army because their cases are red. 

BACT for me...   Simply because it limits the amount of different colors you can use for plasma.  I read "Malleus" and Abnett described a plasma shot as a "Violet ball" and I suddenly had to do purple plasma... 

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w20/fred40k2002/Dark%20Angels/DSCN9607.jpg

Then when the new Ravenwing toys came out I was stuck...  :-(

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w20/fred40k2002/The%20Ravenwing/DSCN9752.jpg

I just found that black blended in way too much, despite having decided in 3rd (when I started) that red was too Christmas tree, so I use a less vibrant Mechrite red base. I think it looks pretty good.

@ Brother Dean, that's funny. Exactly the same happened to me. I painted a tactical squad with red Bolter cases. When it came to the plasma cannon I started thinking and noticed that purple plasma with a red case totally sucks. So I had to re paint all the bolters, but the outcome was definately worth it!

So I too am routing for black cases, you can have a look at my guys here.

I do Dark Red too, Mechrite Red, Devlan Mud, Ogryn Flesh then highlight Blood Red.

Sometimes I consider black, but I am too old.....school, or maybe just old.

I do Mephison Red with metallic iconography and a Nuln Oil wash.  Darkens it up, adds shadows around the raised parts, and makes it not so "Christmas" looking to me.  I too will vote a dark red.  

My original ones were just metallic with no special casing color, I'm going to change that.

Paul

Thanks for all the help, I think I will continue with the red cases but I will darken it as some of you suggested. This should stop them from appearing as christmas marines, plus it should mesh with the Deathwing and Ravenwing elements of the army because their cases are red. 

Precisely this! I go with red because you can use the gun casings to tie the different wings together in a subtle way. Helps brings the army together visually, in my opinion.

Black!  The only problem I've had is when you start ravenwing and begin to paint their bolters red.  But it's really not that bad.  They do have individual color schemes. 

You don't have to paint RW bolters red, you know... My tactical marines and ravenwing both have black bolters, while my deathwing...have green ones. 

Archived