cadian 812th

hendrik

they are about the exact size i'm after (perhaps 0.5 mm too small but who cares!). it's way easier to use some legos then it is to create perfect cubes or cilinders! in fact, creating this one has been such a PITA that i'm considering casting the finished piece instead of building a second one.

so today I went to one of the local painting sotres to ask about casting materials, and it looks like I'll have to go and get some casting materials on monday.

anyway, here's what I got yesterday:

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb281/amorfatipictures/IMG_20130928_143618_zps47151933.jpg

right now i've cleaned up the green stuff and am working on the gun mount itself

and all blue tacked together with some green stuff! obviously it's a shody construction right now but i think it resembles the actual earthshaker emplacement well enough.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb281/amorfatipictures/IMG_20130928_222749_zpse91d3319.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb281/amorfatipictures/IMG_20130928_222758_zps87f344e5.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb281/amorfatipictures/IMG_20130928_222813_zps7291a771.jpg

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Images/Product/AlternativeFW/xlarge/EShake1.jpg

Good looking Basilisk for being scratch built.

Oh, and while I liked LEGOs as a lad I didn't realize that some folks got quite so...into them.

They are holy relics of a bygone era! I don't dare to think of what the Eccistarchy and Mechanicus would do if someone even so much as hinted at the dark origins of the Basilisk Gun Carriage!

Truth be told, I doubt I'd ever do this... too many good memories of my Legos to be turned into something that brings frustration, good memories, and bad ones all at the same time!

But this is still amazing work!

the molds have finally cured, and here's an update on them.
-gunmold: the imprint looks really nice and it absorbed al details (rivets and plates) really well. the only thing that didn't go well are the studds that will keep both molds in place.Some water was left in the plasticine and this was remaining in the holes. overal i'm confident that the wolf will work though.
-main body: the imprint looks lovely and once again all rivets are imprinted nicely
-gunmounts:due to them being open there will be quite some mold lines, and one of the openings for the gun didn't form well, however i think they still might work
-wheelattachment: came out nicely, including all detailing
-oil barrels: came out lovely
Now i need to clean up the master again and get some more mold rubber to create the second part of the mold for the gun and main body. I can hardly wait!

never made a cast before in my life, but like with all things in life, go big or go home! ;)

I intend to cast up at least 6 earthshaker carriages, and most likely will try to make a medusa gun as well.

part of the models (the gunshield and rear "legs) will still have to be made from plasticard though.

so far the cast of the important parts have been really nice! I think I'll visit the paintstore this weekend again to buy another liter of the stuff,allowing me to cast the other sides of the canon and main body,as well as keep a reserve amount to use in the near future.

in total I'll have spend around 120 euros on the casting material, but the way i see it once i've made 3-4 earthshakers i've already saved money given the forgeworld prices of these.

Sure, making them in plasticard would have been cheaper, but it would also mean a lot more (of boring) work, making sure angles and shapes are right.

I think the best molds are the oil barrels though, these can be used in so many scenery applications!

I'll tell you. I have been messing with 40K for a very long time and casting is intimidating! Beyond bases I have made some other molds. I used the flying bases ans piled oil barrels and tires on . But I have not tried it yet. I had so much trouble getting everything out I though I might have ruined the molds. A friend made some wrecked vehicle markers out of rhino transports, those looked very good I wish I had gotten some now that I think about it..  

I made some push molds years ago. I copied one of the old metal black templar shoulder pads and pressed the "cross" onto the chaos shoulder pads with the high sides on them. for some space marine vets. I just got some silly putty to make another press mold. 

The lase ones I made were out of green stuff but I had heard you could use silly putty. 

But enough about me..lol

Keep it up!  I am drooling to see the finished guns!

update-ish, I just got the casting material, however i'm too knackered to try and finish the mold after partying last night and discovering they towed away my van when i wanted to drive home...

which makes me think of atlas recovery vehicles....

here you go argun!

decreased the base size back into a flyer base size, added the barrel and gunshield. Next part will be basing+hiding the shoddy left side wheels from the front. i accidently glued the canon in slightly crooked as well but couldn't bother breaking it all down,potentially breaking the polyurethane.
anyway, here are the (crappy phonecamera)pictures.

Archived