What is the better Big Gun?

So I was thinking of starting a Artillery/tank heavy list sometime soon, and I would really like to know which is the better Big gun.. 

I was thinking of using Leman Russ battle tanks for thier long range blast templates and heavy armor, but i'm fearing that the stats won't be enough. would artillery be just as good? The game plan would be to have a DA powerfield libby standing next to 3 tanks and cast prescience on them all, so they could re-roll thier crap BS.

Well, it all depends on what you're up against. Personally, I'd suggest either basilisks or medusas as all around anti-everything artillery. Those just need to stay in the back, and if you've got an infantry platoon, use those guys as bubblewrap to protect the arty.

If you're wanting to intimidate your opponent with AV14, then I'd definitely suggest leman russes. I've found that a punisher works wonders teehee.gif

Well, you do have the option of direct fire with the basilisks. that doesn't have the min. range of 36".

Is this dark angel librarian gonna be an allied detachment to the Guard?

Direct fire: shoot at anything from tip of gun to enemy. It's a normal shot, but doesn't have all the fancy shenanigans that the indirect does (AKA taking wounds from the center of the blast marker)

The medusas you don't have to worry much about min. range, since they'll nuke everything within that short 36" they've got. If you need to move them, they can still fire just as effectively as normal.

Oh :cuss, that's what direct fire does? Crap I have been playing my whirlwind wrong so Direct fire gets rid of barrage?

And still, I'm worried about short range. what do basilisks bring to the table?

EDIT: actually, checked the rules. Direct fire and indirect fire mean "out of LOS and inside LOS" I guess, and keeps the barrage rule...(pg34 rule book)

but what does this have to do with range?

direct fire is used instead of barrage, yes.

Short range, basilisks use their big gun (strength 9, AP3) and a heavy bolter which is used as snap shots if the big gun fires.

If you're worried about toughness 5 with 2+ armor, use medusas (strength 10 AP2) 

Both use the large blast so if a deep striking squad forgets to run they're pretty much toast if you hit right :)

If you're doing it for da lulz, then by all means, use the tanks. I'd suggest at least one punisher (heavy 20 is a riot!) you'd be surprised at how many marines I've killed with that gun alone, armor saves and all.

You have not even said what the other side will likely be playing. we cannot answer your question with so little information.

Our answers will no doubt be subjective at best. 

You have not even said what the other side will likely be playing. we cannot answer your question with so little information.

Our answers will no doubt be subjective at best. 

That is why I asked for general purpose stuff :P

My recommendation then. would be 3 executioners. with plasma turrets.  That works out to 15 plasma 3" blast markers.

and cooks everything they hit. orks, marine, necrons,guardsmen,dark eldar, regular eldar, bugs.ect.. 

But I don't think guard allies are really what you are looking for.

I would more recommend DKoK allies superior hand to hand troops. Platoons of 65 as a troop choice and thudguns as elite choices.

on top of a few "guard tanks" why settle for the kitchen sink when you can have the whole kitchen. 

Or just get a deathsrtike and roll up a 12" explosion at ST 10 ap 1.. much better.

For general balanced lists the Russ is the undisputed king. S8 AP3 Ordnance large blast is good at killing infantry and with the full strength across the whole template with 2D6 pick the highest penetration pretty good at taking out armour too. On the AV14 chassis it is resilient and reliable too, not to mention being the classic Guard tank. If you really want hitting power and durability then you should consider the Demolisher - they tend to solve all problems with pie plates of doom ;)

Bassies are fun though, with the extra strength and Barrage rule it can reliably blow tanks up and is bloody murder on parking lots. It's not bad direct firing either but needs support, something Platoons are great for - works very well as a themed Artillery Regiment too :)

So as uber said you're more or less saying "what's the best tank Heavy Support choice?" which has many answers so maybe you should decide if you want tank or artillery heavy and run with it? If you're planning on re-rolling BS then blast templates might be a bit of a waste of the power, as they'll only be scattering 1" more than Marines which isn't a big deal when you're throwing large blast templates around.

One other thing to comsider, is if you plan on having some deathwing close with the enemy, having a russ with ap3 blast might be preferable as if a scatter does go wrong, your boys will largely be able to walk through unhurt. Just something to consider

That's a very good point, I take great care in list planning and overall strategy when I'm planning on flinging pie plates at my opponent like frisbees - especially if said templates will negate my advancing unit's saves. Usually this comes down to Battle Cannon/AP3 and Marines but as spafe mentioned Terminators are that much more expensive so worthy of as much if not more concern.

Generally speaking my usual method is to split the battle into segments, sometimes this is as simple as halving the table. One side has the templates raining down and the other has my forces advancing. Works very well in preventing friendly fire as you'd expect, but also in marshalling your forces as your army is more or less divided into "holding/shooting" and "advancing/assaulting". You can tweak this as well with all sorts but we could be here all day discussing that!

As you've surely guessed I greatly enjoy the list building aspect and put a fair amount of time into crafting them. It's half the battle after all (the other half being a mix of red and blue lasers I gather)!

I plan on using a Banner of devastation Ravenwing list with this, so mostly my bikes will be all over the damn field, but I will try to be on the safe side with Templates.

And the DkoK assault brigade looks awesome but they are allies of convenience with DA :( 

This thread is ..well something just not right about it. 

You can't tell me that your codex doesn't provide all the necessary tools to win a game.

what Purus do allying with the guard even serve for you.

if the game is 2000 points or over you can just double you force org chart.

So I don't think it's an issue of enough heavy support. And now you tell us your "bikers will be all over the field" .

if that is the case the what is the point of any long range hard hitters at all.  You would dew better to use hydras to fill in the long range shooting gap. how ever they are twin linked already. So your librarian might not be needed. although you will have to depend on the as you say "crap bs" of the guard.

In fact why use IG tanks at all? for the amount of waac I smell. just take 3 vendettas. They will keep up with your bikers and you don't need to be worried about templates drifting onto you own troops. 

Well, I want some new allies for my guys and to slowly build a new force for a different kind of play style. and now you sold me on Krieg. 

Also, I want tanks because I like tanks, and Vindicators just won't cut it for me I think. Mostly, I want my RW to advance up the field with artillery support, and then get close enough to release some salvo goodness.

And why do I feel your suddenly hostile about this?

Our persona is mostly a grumpy old campaigner. 

we are the meanest and most vile of leader we send millions on to death. And some times we even giggle about it.

And it's all well and good to help you. but you still have left us mostly uninformed.  

The DKoK are very cool and if you are serious about collecting some guard the pick units you like and try to build a formation that stands on its own and can compliment your marines. 

Doesn't it strike everyone else as funny Marines calling for help. 

Find a copy of the Imperial Guard codex. Give it a read. Build a list. Our answers with regards to best big gun or tanks still require a particular play style which man not match your own.

But I encourage you to join the ranks.

(Insert something courageous and uplifting here!) 

yea, i'm just building this for fun, and getting info for the future.

How about this for a "sit back and bombard something" assault brigade list?

Allies: ????pts

Hq command squad in storm chimera

Grenadier squad in storm chimera

Command Leman russ for spotting or some griffons

3 heavy morter guys.

Can't speak for the Kreigsmen, but what I can say is this is a list that's worked generally ok for me.

HQ

Company Command Squad         x2

Master of Ordnance  (one per HQ)

Troops                       

Infantry Platoon      x2

Platoon command squad

Inf. Squad

Inf. Squad

Inf. Squad

Heavy Support

Basilisks   x3--long range firepower

Basilisks   x3--same as above

Colossus  x3--St. 6 AP3 no cover barrages

Works at ~2000 points, works best in Hammer and Anvil missions

hold the phone....

Found this! http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Downloads/Product/PDF/k/kreig.pdf

is this real? and can you actually use it?

if so.... here is an allies list!

DKoK Mortar division:

HQ: Commisar-General (carapace armor, power sword)-90pts

Troop: Platoon

---Command squad (platoon standard, vox caster)-60pts

-----Infantry squad (10 man, all lasguns, vox caster)-65pts

-----Infantry squad (10 man, all lasguns, vox caster-65pts

----- Heavy weapon squad (3 guys, x3 autocannons)-80pts

Elite: quad gun battery (x3 artillery guns)-150pts

Total: 510pts

Or should the heavy weapon squad take motors for long range barrage?

Archived