What is the better Big Gun?

Oh, yes it's real. It was the adaptation to the current IG codex. 

Which is nice.

I have found the IA12 in pdf. it's out their. but I want a copy in hand for games. 

I think the two of them would work well together. But it would need to be a 3 or 4 thousand point list.

I'm not really sure I have only skimmed it. they moved a few units around to different slots. I think you storm chimeras are in their as transports as well. They have some banners and a command tank as well. I think the warlord traits were good as well. 

I have just sold an army so I will be able to add to my collection and get the IA book as well.

And I will post pics to prove it! 

As long as we're having a talk about big guns, has anyone tried a griffon with two heavier artillery pieces, and using the griffon to 'range-find' for the other artillery.  (That is, take advantage of how multiple bombardment works to increase the accuracy of your bigger guns by placing the griffon first).

The Griffon and Collosus can direct fire now. Using the Griffon as a spotter has been a tried and tested tactic, but always struck me as a bit too much effort which is maybe why you don't hear about it any more? That and you have to bet with the scatter roll as presumably you want your heavier pieces to hit in certain places so you don't want the Griffon's blast hitting there instead.

Perhaps more importantly the Griffon deserves better than to be a mere spotter for other artillery :P

It would, I've heard rumour that we'll get an update in the first half of 2014 so maybe... The nature of rumours aside what I found most interesting was that apparently new releases of codices will come with all models. Presumably a fallout from the CHS court case but if true then that will be very nice.

We'd end up with going a whole codex without certain models though but if that means we finally get some nice new Griffon and Roughrider etc models then I'll be a happy Guardsman! Though I hope they don't change the structure too much, I'm very happy with how our current codex works - any radical changes to Platoons would make me nervous as I really like how they work.

I've been thinking about Big Guns and has anyone used massed HWTs? By massed I mean old codex style hordes of them as if they were Heavy Support options or like the Apoc formation. You'd come across some deployment issues if you used too many but they'd be pretty durable through numbers of wounds and throw out a lot of fire power that can be supported by orders. I've thought about how effective it could be but I fear it might be too static or worse too boring to play, even with Infantry squads scurrying around.

Archived