Brother templar, with questions of Sisters tactica.

Metic

My 2 favorite armies being Templars first, and Sisters a close second. After reading Helsreach, and faith and fire I decided I need to have some sisters.  I've recently acquired a small force of battle sisters to represent the Ecclisarchy that was at the Temple of the Emperor Ascendant During the Battle of Armageddon. Also if my point values are off, it's because I'm using a PDF my friend found for the sisters of battle rules.

Saint Celestine

-Troops-

Battle sister Squad
-1 sister superior
-9 battle sisters
-1 Heavy flamer
-1 melta gun
-plasma pistol

Battle sister Squad
-1 sister superior
-9 battle sisters
-1 Heavy flamer
-1 melta gun
-plasma pistol

Immolator
-twin linked Multi melta

I still need to get the Heavy flamer and Melta gun sisters. But I want to know what you think, should I drop the immolator for 2 rhinos? Maybe drop the second squad of sisters for a Retributor squad? and if so, what heavy weapons do you prefer. I have the above models, But I wouldn't mind picking up some more. Also I have the sister superior model with the plasma pistol, would you guys recommend replacing it with a Bolt pistol? I feel like it's overpriced, but at the same time it's like the only way to get plasma in the army so I see it's value. Any feedback is welcome, and I will post models once I finish soaking them in simple green. =D

Imperator Vult!

I'm afraid your points values are off. Sisters + Heavy Flamer + Meltagun + Plasma Pistol = 180 points.

http://yourlordandmaster.wordpress.com/2012/12/05/warhammer-40k-sisters-of-battle-codex-2012-condensed-update/ - this is a reliable file for Sisters armies. It's not the codex itself, but it contains the relevant information. Plus, with the exception of the front cover, it's printer-friendly.

The best loadout for Sisters Superior that I've found is bolt pistol + plasma pistol, but I mostly don't bother upgrading them. Melta is our Plasma.

Retributors are better than Battle Sisters in almost every way except mobility. Their Act of Faith is better, but they cost the same number of points. The only place they lose out on is an inability to take Special Weapons - but with Heavy Bolters at 5 points each, they're a steal.

That said, a Retributor squad with nothing but Bolters is a good unit worth taking because of Divine Retribution. Heavy Bolters are better, assuming you can give them somewhere to stand or can find a way to give them Relentless, since three shots at 36 are always better than 2 shots at 12.

I'm afraid your points values are off. Sisters + Heavy Flamer + Meltagun  + Plasma Pistol  = 180 points.

http://yourlordandmaster.wordpress.com/2012/12/05/warhammer-40k-sisters-of-battle-codex-2012-condensed-update/ - this is a reliable file for Sisters armies. It's not the codex itself, but it contains the relevant information. Plus, with the exception of the front cover, it's printer-friendly.

The best loadout for Sisters Superior that I've found is bolt pistol + plasma pistol, but I mostly don't bother upgrading them. Melta is our Plasma.

Retributors are better than Battle Sisters in almost every way except mobility. Their Act of Faith is better, but they cost the same number of points. The only place they lose out on is an inability to take Special Weapons - but with Heavy Bolters at 5 points each, they're a steal.

That said, a Retributor squad with nothing but Bolters is a good unit worth taking because of Divine Retribution. Heavy Bolters are better, assuming you can give them somewhere to stand or can find a way to give them Relentless, since three shots at 36" are always better than 2 shots at 12".

I believe your point values are off.  A basic battle sister squad is 125 not 135, with all the upgrades the come up to 170.

One thing basic battle sisters have over Retributors is that their act of faith makes them more accurate and more works in several phases of a turn instead of just the one, for instance, the auto-rally one has saved me units many times.  Other bonuses are that they're always scoring and can take up to 20 models in a unit instead of just 10, so can really mass-up on the dakka where you need it.

Usually with Sister superiors I just shove on some melta-bombs, or a combi-flamer/melta depending on the rest of the unit's loadout.  That said I often run one unit of battle sisters that is just bare bolters, and another which is large, expensive, and the superior walks around with 2 plasma pistols.  Their act of faith ensures you are extremely unlikely to suffer 'get's hot' rolls.

Retributor weapons: after much testing I have found that Heavy bolter rets work well for me, though in certain games a unit of Heavy flamer Retributors can make a huge difference.  A big unit of 10 Retributors with Heavy bolters makes for a great 'area denail' unit that can lend you control of an entire board side just from the threat alone.

Now if only I could actually get their AoF to go off...

Just a friendly reminder, folks, that it's cool to post sums of points for kitted units, but it's against forum rules to itemize those points values; it keeps the dark gods of Chaos (and Games Workshop) from coming down on the B&C. :)

thanks for the info guys, looks like I will have to pick up some heavy bolter retributors! I really like the idea of unleashing that much daka from a single unit. =D

Making a post of what to get and why could easily turn into a week long tactica project so I'll keep this short.

I'm not a fan of Heavy Flamers.  I don't think you get 15 points worth of value over the standard flamer.  The difference in causing a casualty with Heavy Flamer over a normal Flamer is rather small.  Even if you could get 5 marines under the template you would still do better with a normal flamer and an extra Sister with a boltgun. And it wouold cost fewer points, too. If you like them or just think the models are cool, go ahead and stick with heavy flamers.  It's not that big of a deal.

Meltaguns, on the other hand, open up a whole new range of potential targets.  Melta spam is the way I run most of my lists.  10 Battle Sisters with 2 meltaguns in a rhino become a nicely mobile tank and HQ killer.  The Adepta can carry a lot of S8 AP1 weapons and I cover the field with them.  2 melta guns will explode a landraider in 1 turn about 50% of the time. Plasma can't touch that.

But the final reason to go with meltaguns over heavy flamers: cost.  As in real money cost.  Heavy flamers cost 4 bucks per model more than meltaguns :D

Whit tha army you have, you could easily use them as an allied detachment.  Saint Celestine for HQ, 6 Dominions outflanking in the Immolator and the rest as a back field objective sitter.  They may not get along with the Templars very well but I think it would give you a feel for how the army works.

probably my main reason for springing for the heavy flamers, is a lot of my LGS plays guard. not a lot of mech either. Now i could run a flamer heavy flamer. but I still need that melta for the reasons you listed. HQ killing, and the few vehicles out there. so the str 5 ap 4 is great for creating a total blood bath.

i appreciate every ones feed back though, all my sisters are done soaking and I'm in the process of cleaning them up. Once i start into the painting I'll have to post some pics! I'm still unsure of what scheme i want. I'm torn between a bleached bone armor or gold armor. With red robes and weapons. either way i think it will be a nice change of pace from the black and white.

I would rather put some combi-flamers on the superior then buy a heavy flamer.  An extra flame templet works out better plus it is really nice for counter assault.

I have been using the plasma gunslinger superior alot recently also.  Really like that trick.  I also have been running the sister mob blob alot.  20 Gal's, 2x meltaguns, Jacobus, and double plasma pistols.  I also attached Cel to them at the start a few times to just to have her awesome save to help keep them alive incase I don't get 1st go.  Most of the oppenents I have played against have mostly ignored them for the more dangerious targets like my repentia, Retributors, and Exorcists.  This is a really nasty blob in 'Relic' missions.  Once the squad gets the relic good luck getting them to loose it.

I would rather put some combi-flamers on the superior then buy a heavy flamer.  An extra flame templet works out better plus it is really nice for counter assault.

I have been using the plasma gunslinger superior alot recently also.  Really like that trick.  I also have been running the sister mob blob alot.  20 Gal's, 2x meltaguns, Jacobus, and double plasma pistols.  I also attached Cel to them at the start a few times to just to have her awesome save to help keep them alive incase I don't get 1st go.  Most of the oppenents I have played against have mostly ignored them for the more dangerious targets like my repentia, Retributors, and Exorcists.  This is a really nasty blob in 'Relic' missions.  Once the squad gets the relic good luck getting them to loose it.

Go with the bone, gold armour is a heretic to paint.

It's really not that bad! It just takes a bit of patience...maybe a lot of patience, haha. :)

I base in black Krylon spray paint, then a layer of Scorched Brown, then Dwarven Bronze, then multiple, light coats of Burnished Gold, waiting for each coat to dry before the next. The tiniest of Mithril Silver highlights are the finisher.

Here's a picture of one of my Custodians.

Just a quick question to add, I see a lot of people talking lately about the 'Gunslinger' Superior (I assume this is 2x Plasma Pistol, rather than 1 Plasma 1 Bolt).

Do you find the extra xx points this costs to be worth it? For the price of 3 squads using these superiors I could purchase Uriah Jacobus as a boost to my force.

My usual disdain for Plasma Pistols is the cost, for what is effectively 1 or 2 shots per game, however with sisters the Plasma Pistol DOES fit in with the range of the force I am running (6-12", usually), so I can see their merits. I amstill unsure on the high costs though.

Just a quick question to add, I see a lot of people talking lately about the 'Gunslinger' Superior (I assume this is 2x Plasma Pistol, rather than 1 Plasma 1 Bolt).

Do you find the extra xx points this costs to be worth it? For the price of 3 squads using these superiors I could purchase Uriah Jacobus as a boost to my force.

My usual disdain for Plasma Pistols is the cost, for what is effectively 1 or 2 shots per game, however with sisters the Plasma Pistol DOES fit in with the range of the force I am running (6-12", usually), so I can see their merits. I amstill unsure on the high costs though.

Here's how I see it:

PROS

• Pairs well with melta guns to allow for high strength low ap shooting at 12", which is also the ideal range for Boltguns.
  • Get's Hot can be ignored easily thanks to the Battle Sisters' act of faith.
  • 'Look out sir' means that it's much harder to remove the plasma threat from the unit.
  • Being a character it means that 6's to hit let you allocate plasma hits.
  • She gains an extra attack in melee.

CONS

• Expensive and risky to put on a single model
  • No longer range shooting
  • Greater potential (albeit slim) to kill herself.

So as you can see, it is generally a nice boon, but not something I would ever recommend spamming.  I only ever use it on one large unit (if at all), and then it already has plenty of points in it and a high chance of survival, at which point a few more don't really hurt. 

If it was ever a choice between Uriah and double Plasma pistols, I would take Uriah in a heartbeat.  Fortunately, I can take both since Uriah is even better sat in this very same squad.

The main benefit of this setup is that you practically guarantee yourself an objective, and you create a dangerous threat bubble which even if ignored, must be avoided.  Pair this with retributors and you can funnel your opponent to the sides of the board ready for your Dominions to arrive.

I have been runing them recently.  The usefullness of them is depending on how you play/who you play.  Last night I played against Chaos Daemons and he ran some very high toughness stuff.  Every turn all 3 squads of my Battle Sisters from Turn 2 on was in shooting range with them.   I will agree that several squads with them do add up to some decent points but I find I like them.  I wont always take them but I find myself doing so more now.  They are also good when facing down Nid monsterious critters.  If you are playing vs marines then not so much same if vs. Imperial Guard.

I tend to keep my Battle Sisters alive thru a game because I make sure the oppenent has other priorities durring the shooting phase.  Its normally end game when they start to die because the oppenents are scrambling to get them off objectives.  In the game last night it took till end of Turn 6 before the enemy got me off the 4pt Objective.  I had 20 girls with a gunslinger Superior holding it.  Jacobus was also attached.  He had alot trying to remove them but they killed everything that got too close with MASSIVE bolter fire and Melta / plasma shots to include his soul grinders.

I love plasmaguns.  They are very effective against a wide range of targets.  I carry all the plasmaguns I can get -- in my CSM army. And guns, not pistols.

For Sisters of Battle, why would I take S7 AP2 when I can get S8 AP1 for 5 points less?  Between melta in the troops, twin-linked melta Dominions, Exorcists missiles and even a Rending quadgun I have all the high strength, low AP fire I need. 

Do it for the cool.  Do it for the lulz.  Do it to spotlight a Sister Superior you can write a story around.  You can easily toss 30 points away one time in a list and make up for it elsewhere.  But as said before, 3 Battle Sister Squads with plasma pistol gunslinger Superiors is costlly.  You could take a melta armed Dominion squad for those points or a Saraphim squad for less.  For tactical purposes we can already flood the table with Instant Death AP1 shooting; there is not much to be gained with plasma pistols. Have fun with it but don't expect it to be a game changer.

I tend to keep my Battle Sisters alive thru a game because I make sure the oppenent has other priorities durring the shooting phase.

This has been a key part of my tactical docterine since what, fifth? Whenever it was when they started to limit what was allowed to score.

Every shot at my Arcoflagellants was not a shot at my 'Arbites'.

work in progress thus far. Here is the before pic, when i had just receivedhttp://i.imgur.com/RnhNxPG.jpg the models.

after a night of pinesol it looks something more like this!

http://i.imgur.com/Zn4ivlq.jpg

Note, Do not leave plastic in over night, it will melt. I scrubbed the immolater in 1 hour sessions.

http://i.imgur.com/bBfkYkt.jpg

Decided to get rid of the plasma pistols!

I wanted to give them a more dynamic feel, since I can't really pose the models. I thought i would make them all custom bases.

http://i.imgur.com/5M20XRN.jpg

Not personally a fan of Celestine's face or her rose sword, so i changed a few things.

http://i.imgur.com/caQHDre.jpg

Looks good. smile.png

I have one Sister Superior with a bolt pistol and a plasma pistol. She has a story, but it's still percolating in my head. The others all have combi-weapon and or CCW (because I haven't converted them).

I have one Sister Superior with a bolt pistol and a plasma pistol.

Lemme Guess, she spent some formative time early in her career in a small mission that found itself co-operating with a mysterious robed Death Angel who was similarly armed. At some point he provided her with some technique pointers. It was a fractious time rife with constant internal dispute. Then, one day the robed stranger disappeared as cryptically as he'd arrived.

Well I got to play my sisters this weekend as allies for my BT! I got my hands on some heavy bolters and played the retributer squad of 5 heavy bolters with 1 superior, 2 squads of 10 with heavy flamer, melta gun, combi flamer superior. And of course, Celestine. Over all, Celestine is insane! In a friendly game(not using the allies matrix rules), 2k points. Against an ork player she held up 10 rounds of combat ( died twice but lets not talk about that, she was alive at the end that's all that counts right ;D) Against a knob biker squad of 10 with several klaws, a pain boy, and the Warboss! The player had said that the squad he ran cost roughly 750 points, now I did manage to kill the boss + 1 knob with all my Cyclone missile/typhoon spam. Yes this was an almost fluff list to represent Armageddon! and the shrine of the emperors ascendant. however that's not the point lol, the fact that she held out that long was just insane. And hands down the reason I won. Out of 4 games against other players she did well, every time. tripling or more her point value. Against grey knights/IG/Ork Celestine prevailed each time.

Picture of my DZhttp://i.imgur.com/JlJz0Rp.jpg

And my opponents

http://i.imgur.com/OQwZLqU.jpg

Archived