Allies for Skyfire

vorkung

I'm one of those guys who's just begun to come back to 40K after a long layoff. My Ultramarines and I are hoping to play a game soon, and I can't help but notice that quite a bit has changed in terms of the rules. I'm mainly a 4th ed player and had only 3-4 games in 5th ed. Thankfully reading these boards has helped me to understand 6th a little bit more. 

I've also noticed that there is a lot of talk about the new Flyer unit type and using/countering them. At the moment I don't have any flyer units, so my option is to counter them. Right now the main route seems to be the Aegis Defence Line, but that just doesn't seem to appeal to me, especially since I can only have 1 of them in my army. So I'm thinking of using allies to get Skyfire..and I'm thinking Dark Angels. Taking a Librarian and a Tactical Squad, then having a 10 man Devastator Squad with 4xMissile Launchers with Flakk, in combat squads. Maybe even give Flakk to the missile launcher in the tactical squad. 

Do you think this is a viable idea? 

Sounds decent, and if you just use Ultramarine models to counts-as Dark Angels, you can switch right over to pure C:SM when the new one comes out with Flakk Missiles added. (In the meantime, you could fluff the allied models having the DA rules instead of Combat Tactics as the Devastator Company Captain they serve under being a bit of a maverick.)

the 4x flakk missiles are crazy expensive in my opinion (especially since they are only Str 7 and don't have interceptor).  I would just go for an Aegis Defense Line with a Quad-gun.  This gives you a good defensive position and essentially two twin-linked Autocannons with both Interceptor or Skyfire.  Or go with Ishagu's idea and just spring for a stormraven.  They are awesome and carry loads of firepower that can easily take down enemy fliers (just remember that its either all skyfire or no skyfire for flyer weapons even with Power of the Machine Spirit).  Also, DA allies can do good things, so I would look into them even if they are for AA.  The Librarian provides a cheap way to access Divination (which is hands-down the best psychic discipline).  Hope this helps.  

P.S. its actually way cheaper to buy the Aegis line than the 4x missile devastator squad in real money as well.

EDIT:  After reading your post again, and seeing your complaints against the Aegis, I would say that in my experience with using them, one has been more than enough and I wouldn't let that 0-1 restriction keep you from using them

Anything twin linked with S6+ is workable AA.

S7 is not effective enough against Stormravens, Valkyries or Heldrakes in my experience.

Sadly I have a lot of experience with flyers :-(

There is a whole lot of real estate between workable and effective mellow.png

I won't argue that.

But if you're hurting for options, you take what you can get

Agree. Even a couple of twin-linked heavy bolters are useful. All you have to do is force a jink save and you have kept that flyer from being effective in its next turn.

Archived