New Painting log for Pbenner

Pbenner

Pictures yet to come, but I got the Magnets in to finish my Dreadnought Chaplains.  Also, over the long weekend I finished the two Land Raider Phoebos.  

The Resin Arms for the Mortis Autocannon Dread arrived and I have to say I am very impressed.  I think I am going to get the other Dreadnought going soon.  

Pics inc later.

Paul

Pictures yet to come, but I got the Magnets in to finish my Dreadnought Chaplains.

I misread that as "dreadnought chapters" and for some reason the thought of you painting dreadnoughts by the thousand didn't seem at all strange.

Chaplain Dreadnoughts are in Imperial Armor Apocalypse: Second Edition.  Their base chassis is on-par with a "normal" venerable dread.   They're stock venerable with an Iron Halo, can take any of the ranged weapon options or dual CCW (with dual Storm Bolters).  They're pretty beefy all said and done, but can be pricey.  

I have Lucius Pattern Drop Pods for mine, with dual CCW.  Get them into combat quick with a unit that can't hurt them early on is a good thing.  

Paul

Jeremy,

Over the course of time since my divorce (~3 years ago now) I've been slowly collecting Terminators (Mainly CC Terminators), Bits, and Land Raiders.  Usually when I can get them 2nd hand and super cheap (~50% off or less).  Some were converted AoBR Marines, there are others in there that didn't have the best early life for toys, Stripping, cleaning, etc.

The Land Raiders were garnered mainly through trades, or through selling off my un-used toys from other armies to fund them.  I've got 5 to the point that I could field them, but only 2 are fully painted.  My next step is to get the Terminus Ultras painted since they've got all their bits for the most part.  I need to get (2) more sets of Redeemer Cannons for my Land Raider Ares project.  

The Forgeworld stuff was a bit of a splurge, but it's slowly getting painted.  I am intimidated by the Storm Eagles, so I have been procrastinating on them, and finished the things I've had pending longer.  I want to get not only all the DA stuff I currently own painted (At least the Deathwing) and then move onto my Xenos (Tyranids) with them getting a new codex soon.  

My first two lists are getting smaller and smaller.  Hopefully they're completed soon.

Paul

Chaplain Dreadnoughts are in Imperial Armor Apocalypse: Second Edition.

Are you certain Paul? They're not in my copy. They don't seem to be in the new Imperial Armour: Apocalypse book either. ermm.gif

I guess it's not in either of those.  I'd forgotten about Imperal Armor Apocalypse 2 - It's on page 30 in that book.  I would assume that it'll get a 6th edition re-print at some point.  I'll have to get a new copy.  

Been spending the evening painting odds and ends.  I got the 4th contemptor primed, even if he still doesn't have the right helmet.  I'm also ready to prime my Mark V (GW) Venerable Dreadnought.  

After priming, I've been painting Kheres Pattern Assault Cannons and Auto Cannons for my Mortis Dreadnoughts.  I broke down and bout a 1" pluckfoam tray just for extra vehicle hatches (Stormbolter, Melta, HK Missle, etc.) and Dreadnought Arms.  Blah.

Once these smaller items are off the tray and ready to go, need to get back on the Ares Conversions.  Fixing the top-hatches to use the exhaust fans from the Vindicator, so I have a bunch of smoothing yet to do.

Best,

Paul

(6) Kheres Pattern Assault Cannons and (6) Auto Cannons for my Mortis Dreads are done.  I also got all the extra arms plucked and done for the battle form for them, including space for the (2) More Las Cannons I'll be painting with my last Mortis Contemptor.

I started painting the Dreadnoughts tonight.  One "Standard" Pattern Mortis made from a Venerable Dreadnought and Auto Cannons from the previous ebay link, and then the 4th Contemptor, which doesn't have the right head, but I can get him fully painted minus the head and put it on when I get the correct one in my next Forgeworld Order (I was missing one of the heads from my Contemptor CMLs).

I've also continued work on the Land Raider Terminus Ultra and Land Raider Ares, which are down to final sanding and adding iconography before priming the chassis.  I am short on Flamestorm Cannon bits for the Ares (I use these instead of the normal Heavy Flamer bits as they looked cooler and aren't so dinky on a Land Raider).  

Once the (2) Terminus Ultras are painted, and the (3) Ares are painted, I'm down to the Land Raider Crusader and the two Storm Eagles I think.  The painting backlog is slowly being knocked back.

Paul

Well,

I started and finished both Dreadnoughts tonight. Their bases didn't get painted but the models are fully painted. I need to finish assembly on the Mortis Dread while it is being installed on it's base, don't want the legs to not line up.

I need to prime the two dreadnought bases as well as the 7 for the chaplains, so I will be painting 13 bases tomorrow I suppose.

Need to decide what gets paint next. Any votes?

Paul

Painted (6) Librarians today.  Also took pictures of some of the newly painted stuff;

Dreadnoughts (New Mortis and Chaplain Dreads with magnets done and arms attached:

http://i568.photobucket.com/albums/ss129/pbenner2250/20130908_233217_zpsc492082e.jpg

Land Raider Phoebos x2 - Having a hard time getting the covers on the Las Sponsons to stick, so working through that yet...

http://i568.photobucket.com/albums/ss129/pbenner2250/20130908_233107_zpsf0e6d780.jpg

And, what I painted today off and on while working on some other stuff;

http://i568.photobucket.com/albums/ss129/pbenner2250/20130908_232828_zps1e95cf52.jpg

All are safely packed away in their foam and ready for the table top.  Working on arranging another Apocalypse game soon so I can get them all to the field.  A few more Land Raiders finished and it should be time for another group shot.  By the time the LRs are done, all the bits for the chaplains should be here and I can get them done for the same shot.

Keep the brushes down.

Paul

I sent your a PM Cactus, that would be badass.  Would leave me down to needing to find one more set.

The LR Ares are going to be my next project after the Terminus Ultras hopefully.  

Paul

• 1 month later...

Blowing the dust off this thread.  It's been a while.  

My targets are;

(3) Land Raider Ares

(2) Land Raider Terminus Ultra

For the current thing.  

As an additional to my self, I will target the Land Raider Crusader as well.  

Paul

Are these the flamer cannon pieces that come in the Land Raider box?  I think I have a spare set that I have no intention of using that you are welcome to.. I'll need to dig them out of my bits box.

Are these the flamer cannon pieces that come in the Land Raider box?  I think I have a spare set that I have no intention of using that you are welcome to.. I'll need to dig them out of my bits box.

They are, I believe I have secured the last set I need, but if that falls through, I would love you for this.  They're the wrong size to be "Heavy Flamers" but those are way too small IMO for the size of the tank.  

Insanity...pure insanity...and I'm among the lucky few who will soon get to see it all in person ~happydance~

It's a site to see.  I took updated pictures of the whole thing last week, just haven't had a chance to upload and modify the other thread. I'll have to do that.  

Paul

I primed the entirety of one Storm Eagle last night after finishing it's assembly.  I need to paint the inside now that it's primed before putting the bottom firmly in place.  There are also the inside of all the gun wells to do before the jets get attached, and they need painted...  haha.  

I will prime the other Storm Eagle today, it's also ready to go.  Resin is harder to prime in the cool than Plastic is, but I also have (3) Land Raiders that need primed as well for the competition.  They're ready, just need to hit them a lick.

Paul

Well, I went in towards the final parts of the base coat last night, and then tried the dry fitting again this morning.  something I didn't notice the first time around...

The damned rear hatch is almost 1/8" too long!!  Not to mention that there is NO WAY it will pivot open on the resin thing.  I'm going to have to come up with a new solution.  I don't think I have the tools I need though...

Will keep you all posted.  I can at least get most of it painted at this point, minus the back hatch.  Atleast I can put it on the table.  Will work on the other issue.

Paul

http://i568.photobucket.com/albums/ss129/pbenner2250/20131018_221513_zpsbd50eaca.jpg

Cirrus Belli has me chomping at the bit to paint, so I decided to start with these guys.  They've been too much of a problem from the start to consider in any challenge.  Quite possibly the most difficult model I have done to date.  

This is my work bench for the night.  To my right I have a super awesome sound system playing my tunes or watching a movie when I want.  One of the two if further along than the other, but that's been how it's been since the beginning.  I do something on one until I can't move on, then work on the other to a similar point.  The closer they get to done, the more I want to play with them.  

Paul

Mmmmm....yummy.  I'm tempted to get two steagles, but I also want two thunderbolts (hey, if you're going to do anti-air, do it right...no half measures!).  I may have to settle for one of each. 

On a note that's only loosely related, I've always wanted an Imperial Navy army...fighters (thunderbolts-there's the connection), bombers, and a few Valkyries full of stormtroopers in blue and gray.  With rules where the fighters come on in turn one, the bombers in turn two, and the transports via reserves rolls.

http://i568.photobucket.com/albums/ss129/pbenner2250/20131019_021440_zps58acd0b7.jpg

A few hours work.  Still have to do cockpits, weapons, a lot of touchups and stuff, but over all they're moving the right direction.  They're not snug on the flight stands, so I need to get that fixed.  Anyone have any thoughts on that?

Paul

Well, I can finish 95% of the model as it sits.  I'm still painting some things on the interior, but not a whole lot.  Working my way through that at the moment.  

The last major hurdle I have is the rear hatch.  The original design sucked, and may have worked for an original, but does not work on a cast.  You can't cast a round bar in resin using a 2 part mold, doesn't happen.  

In order to make a hinge for the door, I had to replace the bar.  I replaced it with a 3/64" bar, which I believe is slightly smaller than the original.  It freely floats in the old "clip in" hinges, but does not have any resistance or hold.  I am currently looking for a way to attach a better hinge to the base plate before final assembly.  

I also have primed most of the stuff that was bare for the Cirrus Belli event, and am ready to jump into that one two boots first.

Paul

Archived