New Painting log for Pbenner

Pbenner

Right,

That is the plan for the upper part, which is done. I had to shorten the end of it a good bit to make it fit. The lower part is my issue. There is no natural pivot other than the snap fit, and the horribly deformed rod. I need to either replace the current hinge part with one that fits the new rod, or adapt the old one to wrap around the new rod. Probably the former.

We will see where I go, I need to find hardware.

Paul

The best way to describe it would be to say it would be 2 Cs that should line perfectly, but are .75mm off on either side. To clean then up would basically destroy them. Thus the removal.

Paul

Ah...I guess I'll learn what you're talking about in January...probably via a similar experience!  FW kit is amazing, but their quality control is horrible.  My drop pod has a door that hasn't been on the model in a decade because it never fit right and I got tired of putting it back on.

I feel you. I have had more isses with their models than anything else in my hobby career. Luckily the replace parts (models) no questions asked.

I found the parts I need. Them + drill bits + shipping will add an additional $20 to my total for these.

Paul

I have made the purchase.  

I would bet dimes to dollars that you're going to need the same if you want the thing to open and close.  I'll have extra of all the hardware I used and  you're more than welcome to it.  

I am excited to see this last piece falling into place so smoothly.  After this it's down to painting the interior so that I am happy with it, then putting the bottom plate and rear hatch on and securing them and filling gaps.  This will require some exterior repaint, but you can't have everything.  

Should be in this week.

Paul

• 1 month later...

Been a long time with no updates.

I've fixed both the Storm Eagles.  I need to finish the initial assembly and base coat painting, but then they'll be playable.  The Exterior and Interiors are base-coated and washed.  These have been put on hold for more pressing concerns.  

I have put the base coat on all three Ares for the CB challenge. I have all the paints lined up, and with nothing going on Christmas day, I'll be hammering those out then, maybe working on some other things in between.  

I need to get my Relic Contemptor prepped, cleaned, and ready to go.  Far too cold to prime so I've got no desire to prepare more models at the moment, other than to get them into few pieces and more condensed.  I've got all the tools together to knock it down, just not sure if that's the direction I am wanting to go.  

Paul

Ah, yes, they did.  Sorry, I meant to send a message.  I met March10K for coffee over the weekend and got him his stuff.  

It's too cold to prime here, but I do plan on getting it fixed up asap and prepared.  It will be replacing the blank banner on my older banner bearer.  

I'll need to figure out the mounting for it, i'm thinking i might have to attach a brace across the top.  A little GS work that is inside my skill level, unlike the banner ;).  I think that 1/8" rod will work, so I'll pick up a short length of some hobby tubing and give that a whirl.  

I'll post some pictures of the modificated banner for attachment when it's done :D  

Best,

Paul

The Local Post hub is a mess as well.  I had a box from Forgeworld never arrive recently, as well as (3) checks I mailed out disappear, along with who knows what else, but lord knows they always manage to make sure the spam makes it through.  

It's around 15degrees here at the moment, probably won't be priming until spring.  Oh well.  Gives me time to prepare a bunch of stuff for priming.  

Paul

Well,

Here are are basically 1 week out. I have all three mostly finished. Weapons are painted in prep for final assembly. Need to finish 2nd and later colors on the main chassis. Well on the path to completion.

I hope the next of these is something else I am ready to paint. Seems that short of competitions I am not getting any painting done.

Paul

LOL... Yeah, I primed about eight terminators in Tokyo in anticipation of the cold...too bad I won't get my hands on that stuff for a few more weeks! Pyro, the banners are fantastic. Even though I have no use for one, I'm jealous of the toughness banner you made Paul. It's gorgeous! Anyway, I can't wait to start bannering up my 5th company in the Spring.

March,

With the weird warm swing getting the outside up to mid 30s my garage might be warm enough to prime if I do need something for an upcoming competition. In my to be painted pile:

(2) Land Raider Terminus Ultra

(2) Land Raider Phoebos

(2) Contemptors

(1) Ven Dread

(1) Land Raider Crusader

And I still need to come up with Battle Foam for the Land Raiders and new Dreadnoughts. Time to recalc the foam and figure out what I want to add in 2014. Probably a lot more Forgeworld, Legion Tanks and Fire Raptors, plus you can never have too many Contemptors. (My new Mantra)

Paul

Well,

After getting hit last week and doing some major damage to the car, the extension was a god-send.  I didn't have to rush to get them done, but I did put some good time on them tonight:

http://i568.photobucket.com/albums/ss129/pbenner2250/20140105_230010_zps273047c7.jpg

Now I'm down into the details, expecting them done in a couple of days.

Paul

I know, I know, I should have taken a picture...

Anyways; the (3) Land Raider Ares are down to needing the last little bits and bobs, things like Lamps, sensors, etc. The little bitty places that suck to get at with anything but a 00 or smaller brush, so I am working through those. Expected complete by the end of the week.

I have started building the (2) Mars Pattern Land Raiders that I acquired last fall for stupid cheap. Based on the box, I believe that these are the original plastic land raider release. One actually came with the metal upgrade parts to make a Crusader, which is interesting. Also, the molding is obviously older. Different plastic, some pieces are mis-shapen, etc. Still a solid kit, but interesting to see these older kits still around on sprue and in box...

I have the last of the pieces to finish the Chaplains that I had started previously, only to find i was missing bits that were not available on Ebay. I got them in recently so those guys will be finished soon. I have it in my mind that I need to build (5) more, so I'll pick up another DWCS box to kit bash into (5) Chaplains and use the remaining parts + ebay bits to make a 3rd Librarius. This will give me 16 Chaplains and 16 Librarians in Terminator Armor, painted up to match the rest of the Deathwing.

So, the To Be Painted list as near as I can recall;

1) Land Raider Terminus Ultra x2

2) Land Raider Phoebos x2

3) Land Raider Crusader

4) Relic Contemptor x3 (1 dual CCW, 2x CCW+Heavy Conversion beamer)

5) Lucious Pattern Dreadnought Drop Pods x3

6) Venerable Dreadnought Mortis Pattern (Dual TL AC)

7) Storm Eagle x2

8) Chaplains and Librarians x16 (lol!)

I *think* I can see the light at the end of the tunnel from here. smile.png

Paul

Pyro,

To be honest, The original Librarian I kitbashed early on in my DW Career still stands, but with the addition of the Librarius formation, it gave me a semi-fluffy access to a Strength D weapon to take out Super Heavies.  

Librarian in Terminator Armor has Inner Circle

Inner Circle gives Deathwing Assault

DW Assault gives me Twin-Linked on the turn I arrive via Deep Strike

Terminator Armor gives me Relentless

Relentless and Twin-Linked give me some sick potential the turn I come in, dropping Vortex Templates. (x3)  

Since I personally don't run any Super Heavies, this allows me to atleast have a chance against them, since the local large game meta tends to see 3-4 of them opposite me, I have to have an answer.  

In games where I don't have Super Heavies, I cannot mount my units as they're 10 strong and nothing is big enough to hold them, so I like to tack on some force multipliers, a Librarian and a Chaplain in every squad is always good for a laugh, since 16 will let me run 1 in each of 10x Deathwing Terminators, 4x Deathwing Knights, and 2x Command Squads (One of which rides in the Crusader with the Librarian, Belial and the Chaplain.  

I haven't gotten to do it yet, but I am hoping to do it soon.

Paul

Man,

The weather this weekend was great, but I was no where near being ready to prime.  Oh well.  

I did manage to catch a game with March10K, which was quite fun.  New bug codex on Deathwing.  Pictures and Bat Rep to follow.  

I also found the stash of metal Dark Angels characters I had squirreled away.  Prepped for paint now;

Ezekial

Asmodai (Original metal sculpt)

Azreal + Helm Bearer

Power Armor Librarian with Staff (This might go to my Crimson Fists, not sure yet)

Cypher

Still working on the Mars Patterns and the other Dreadnoughts, but all are basically started.  Need to order some bits to finish out my last Librarius.

Paul

• 2 months later...

Damn, been a long time since I've posted here.  After moving and all that crap in Feburary, I'm finally starting to dig out my stuff.  Wanting to get back to work.

With the weather turning nice, I'm turning to preparing for priming time.  I would rather get a bunch of modeling and priming done and have painting for the cold months than to paint when it's nice, but you have to spray-prime when you can, such is life.

I went through all the bits I've been ordering over the last 3 months or so, and got them all together, so the last of my kit-bashed characters will be done soon.  On the tray:

(5) Kit-Bashed Librarians in TDA

(1) Metal Librarian in TDA

(12) Kitbashed Int. Chaplains in TDA

(1) Metal Int. Chaplain in TDA 

(2) Relic Contemptors with Heavy Conversion Beamer, CCW w/Stormbolter and a CML

(1) Relic Contemptor with Dual CCW w/Flamer(s), and a CML

(1) Mk. V Venerable Dreadnough with Dual TL Autocannons 

The goal will be to have all of the above primed for painting before May 1st.  They range in progress from mostly assembled to not yet started.  Should be a do-able goal.  

Paul

Archived