So, I'm in the process of starting up an imperial guard allied detachment/small army, and it occurred to me that one way I could add some continuity between, well, all my armies, actually, would be to do them all with the same basing. Of course, while my other armies may be too proud to wear camouflage, the Imperial Guard is, by necessity, made of smarter stuff. So, with that in mind, I was wondering if anyone could suggest a rough color scheme for Guardsmen (I'll be using Cadians, since I'm thinking this regiment makes its home close to the eye of terror like the rest of my forces seem to make their home in that region- Perhaps they're descended from a Cadian regiment that was made into an army of conquest?) that's suitable for arctic terrain?

There is two option for this :

1) We get prepared to the terrain we're fighting on (that suits cadians)

2) we were not (that occurs a lot in the Imperium)

So might get an arctic camo

(show you a test of mine right here :

gallery_70791_8113_155491.jpg

Sorry for the lazy painting and the moldlines it was only a test.

2) the best way to do this is to go for a camo which doesn't match at all, personnally i'll go with red (rust desert/xeno-flora)

Hope it helps !

If you google "Arctic Camouflage images" you get quite a lot of ideas. This one looks good to me

http://images.wikia.com/callofduty/images/2/25/Weapon_camo_menu_arctic.png

You could do a similar pattern to my Chocochip but using arctic colours (greys and white).

Looking forward to seeing how yours turn out smile.png

Edited for poor spooking

The "Cadian pattern" of armour is commonplace because many Regiments copy their appearance, and you could easily argue for it being simply a supply issue with it being the easiest type of armour to acquire so your regiment doesn't have to be descended from anything smile.png

Arctic camouflage consists predominantly of shades of grey, including white and black (or dark grey). The trick is to get the ratio right - too much dark is overbearing and you might need a couple of greys to help blend the two extremes. You could also use blue if you're careful with it. As has been mentioned a great starting place is the Internet for real life patterns followed by experimentation. It's important to remember that you won't be able to replicate it exactly on a model (unless you've superhuman eyesight and dexterity) so that gives you some leeway.

Last but not least don't forget this is a pattern that you'll need to do many, many times so don't make it too complicated. You should also give some consideration as to how it will apply to your vehicles, if at all.

It'll all be worth it in the end, as squads of Guardsmen with the same camouflage look great on the table and very unified as a force. Just be careful not to forget any should they blend into the background too well :P

Have you looked for pictures of the arctic? or arctic tundra? I have read that solid colors work fine for troops on the move. troops wearing od green uniforms in the Jungle.  One of the main reasons for camouflage is to brake up the outline of soldiers or vehicles.

A choice of colors might not be that hard. AP's guardsmen above has the right idea. unless you don't care for the "tiger stripe" .

I actually like GWs ordinary snow scheme, it may not be what your looking for but it might contribute with some inspiration. That mini contains Shadow grey, Shadow grey looks blue untill you put a blue mini beside your Shadow grey mini, then you'll notice that it's actually grey.

I concur with WarriorFish statement: "This is a pattern that you'll need to do many, many times so don't make it too complicated."

This is not exactly but pretty close to how I want to paint miy Sviars. But white is hard to get even and... white. Since the Fortress grey undercoat somehow always shines through, you got make several layers upon more layers not to mention that extra layer wallbash.gif

GWs winter camo scheme:

gallery_58880_8103_1596.jpg

EDIT: Spelling errors.

• 3 months later...

i li

I actually like GWs ordinary snow scheme, it may not be what your looking for but it might contribute with some inspiration. That mini contains Shadow grey, Shadow grey looks blue untill you put a blue mini beside your Shadow grey mini, then you'll notice that it's actually grey.

I concur with WarriorFish statement: "This is a pattern that you'll need to do many, many times so don't make it too complicated."

This is not exactly but pretty close to how I want to paint miy Sviars. But white is hard to get even and... white. Since the Fortress grey undercoat somehow always shines through, you got make several layers upon more layers not to mention that extra layer wallbash.gif

GWs winter camo scheme:

gallery_58880_8103_1596.jpg

EDIT: Spelling errors.

I will be starting my guard idea to compliment my SW army. I really want to go for the snow theme / camo and love what you got going on here. THe dark grey blue is that The fang? from the gw range?

Archived