Cypher 102's Dark Angels

Cypher 102

Well, I bit off more than I could chew. If I had just vowed one squad at a time I would have been good with the ETL. Finally adding some pictures now. I managed to get the command squad and attack squadron finished but still have to do the librarian and Sammael. I figured I would start up a new thread to show off models and see what you guys think. Here is the Ravenwing Command Squad complete with apothecary and Ravenwing company banner.

gallery_25138_8154_127612.jpg

gallery_25138_8154_454873.jpg

gallery_25138_8154_866239.jpg

gallery_25138_8154_544555.jpg

Thanks for the comments! White has always been a struggle. Are you talking about the back of the apothecary's right calf? That spot is actually some Nuln Oil in one of the recesses that show up on power armor.

Here's the next unit. If I had just vowed these models I would have been good with the ETL. They were done well before the deadline.

5th Ravenwing Attack Squadron

gallery_25138_8154_432588.jpg

gallery_25138_8154_336165.jpg

Well, I bit off more than I could chew. If I had just vow

gallery_25138_8154_544555.jpg

Nope.... This is so insignificant it isnt even worth fixing, but right along the top of the toe piece you could cut some white back into that Nuln Oil wash you had to put on cause you accidentally painted over the grey and didnt want to go through all that work again... teehee.gif Or at least that's why I did it...

Very Very good white. A little more attention on the wings on the fairing but I am having trouble with them too so it's a Good Job all round!....

Edit: And are those hand lettered number 5's? whistlingW.gif

Thanks for the comments! White has always been a struggle.

For me too... But contrary to you I always end up loosing the fight... :lol:

The only thing I would change is the cold rooms of the plasma talons... I prefer a blue colour rather than the metal one you've used... It just underlines the weapon. Here it just looks like something missing... :unsure:

• 2 years later...

So I've been away awhile. I guess I reply to the previous post (3 years laterwhistlingW.gif ) and then post some new pics.

Yes the 5s are freehand Brother dean. Master Avoghai, I've been kind of afraid to go back and do the glowing plasma coils because that's 32 spread around my whole army. Now that I have a number that doesn't seem so bad now though. slyfox.uk, the black is a very basic Chaos Black (now Abaddon Black). I haven't really bothered to do any highlighting on it because it has just enough gloss that is picks up the light and does it itself. One of the projects for future me is to go back and put in some highlights later. When I do I've had pretty good success with a dark blue highlight rather than grey.

So now for new models. I've started in on 4th Company with the chaplain and 7th squad. I've decided to give the waterslide transfers another try after having given up on them years ago. I'm much happier with them now after using some Lahmian Medium to get rid of the gloss and blend them into the rest of the model.

gallery_25138_11857_160346.jpggallery_25138_11857_367946.jpggallery_25138_11857_986517.jpg

I also got started in on the Deathwatch Overkill set. Of course I had to do the Dark Angel first.

gallery_25138_11858_46958.jpg

My camera has a really hard time focusing in on this model for some reason. Must be some sort of top secret Deatwatch technology.

Nice looking Angels!

My only critic is maybe some line inking in the recesses of the wings. It could be the photography but the variation between the white and grey is very slight.

Some surgically applied watered down black wash would really set off all the wingy bits.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Ironsturn and SickSix! I used to undercoat the whole model in black and overbrush straight white over the black. This left black recesses in the wings. I've moved on to Celestra Gray as a solid basecoat with overbrushed white and think it works a lot better. I'll try some Nuln Oil on a test model and see if I like that better.

Here's one of my older models as an example of the white over black for the wings. This is my counts as Azrael with his lil' buddy:

gallery_25138_11881_89943.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Very nice tanks! The rivets really pop in the pictures. Very smooth looking paint on all the flat surfaces. Now let's drive them through the mud! Is this the end of your vow?

Archived