Where are you guys getting this idea where no one can use Power Lances in the Crusade Army List in Betrayal? I've been through it several times and can't find anything even ALLUDING to this.

If it's that Palatine Blades may take a Power Sword or Power Spear, it's not that they are the only ones who may, but that they are limited FROM taking axes and mauls, not that they have access to something others don't. Mauls and Axes are unwieldy, and not conducive to fancy-shmancy duelling. So their exclusion from the list makes sense, fluff wise.

There is a page (i will look it up when i get home) that is right before the praetor and ally matrix page i believe.

And located at the bottom, it says "when a power weapon is listed as an option, then you may take either a sword, an axe, or a maul"

those are the three options you may take, nothing more, nothing less.

the palatines are unique in the fact that they can take a spear, and that is why it is worded as it is. or else it would say power weapon

Consider me illuminated: I see it now. That's bollocks, I just chalked it up to the wide array of misinterpretations I've seen on other boards lately. Why wouldn't this be in the wargear section? (rhetorical)

Any thoughts on WHY they aren't widely available? (fluff or game-play wise)

Or its just impractical for those four Legions. The only one that charges into battle are the World Eaters and they have a fondness for chainaxes. Next up would be the Sons of Horus and/or the Emperor's Children. SoH using a spear would be cliché so instead the Palatine Blades get the spears.

It does seem odd that it only lists those three, while saying you should check the base rulebook which includes power lances as a fourth. However, the language doesn't really leave much room for doubt.

However, halberds are considered axes. Those are spears with axeheads. If it's a friendly game, I don't see why you can't extend axes to include other forms of spears.

Although even some friendly people might argue with it since the lances are AP4 except on the charge, IIRC. But if they're willing to go that far, they might be willing to just let you use the lance descripter since there is no variation in point cost.

Wasn't Betrayal done back in 5th Ed though? I don't recall them having a thing for lances back then, so(assuming I'm right) maybe that's why it doesn't exist?

No its deliberate, its a 6th ed book. I imagine its because Power Lances are rare in the Imperium at this point outside of certain units/Legions. I could see Sanguinary Guard using them for example as well as White Scars.

Yeah the whole division into sword, axe, and maul points at 6th ed.

we didnt have the special rules for each weapon, it was just a "power weapon", so you could've duct taped a honey badger to a stick and called it a power weapon at that point

its prolly just going to wind up like aforementioned legions, just like chainaxes are to the WEs (until those smug b*stards from the SoH stole it for their reavers and made them better in cc then us grrr)

Yeah, I looked it up. Betrayal came out October 2012, 6th Ed came out June that same year. I guess they feel it is a fluff matter. Weird since at least two BL characters have been shown to have a spear/long-handled type weapon. Although one is a power spear and the other is a chain-glaive.

Numeon has a Volkite Glaive, basically a halberd with a volkite charger attached to the end instead of a spike.

Apologies, I had it in head my that it was a spear when I referenced it.

Ah I wasn't correcting you, just thought I'd add Numeon used a long shafted weapon. :)

Moderator note

A page & a half worth of post have been deleted due to being off topic.  Rememeber it is against the fourm rules & further action will be taken if this happen again.  This topic is about Power Lance/Spear.

Insane Psychopath

Archived