Jedziah's Clan Sorrgol

Jedziah

Hi all,

New convert to B+C. Thought as I am starting my new project in line with the release of the new SM Dex, my love for Iron Hands has led me to clan Sorrgol.

As a test model I've created a kit bash to make Orban Lomax. the Iron Father of Sorrgol from the Master of the Marches and the Techmarine box. Still a significant disliker of Finecast and just how paint applies to it, but still, here's what I came up with:

gallery_74072_8813_10107.jpg

gallery_74072_8813_18920.jpg

gallery_74072_8813_219833.jpg

More to come soon. Sternguard and Scouts are next in line with some Razorbacks before I get onto the Marquee units of this Clan.

Thanks for looking

Jed

Is that a power fist holding his gun?  It's too big to be a regular hand.  It also looks as though you have some finecast bending that could've been corrected prior to painting.

The larger white surfaces are awfully thick, as white tends to do.  That aside, it is a pretty good paintjob.

That guy looks sharp! Can't wait to see more msn-wink.gif

Thanks mate.. Plenty more to come over the next few weeks!

Is that a power fist holding his gun? It's too big to be a regular hand. It also looks as though you have some finecast bending that could've been corrected prior to painting.

The larger white surfaces are awfully thick, as white tends to do. That aside, it is a pretty good paintjob.

It's a bionic hand upgrade from the Iron Hands finecast upgrade kit made to rest a bolter in. Does look slightly too large I agree, however certainly not a power fist :)

I just can't get white to stick to Finecast well at all. Learning process and all. Shamfully IH love their white guns so I am hoping this is the only Finecast model I will have to paint in the army!

Excellent kitbash, I had to go back and read the description again to see which models you used, it is very well done.  I'd like to get your recipe for the black armor as well, I like the look of it.  What is the piece that you have used as a stand to take the photo on?  I don't recognize it at all.

Excellent kitbash, I had to go back and read the description again to see which models you used, it is very well done.  I'd like to get your recipe for the black armor as well, I like the look of it.  What is the piece that you have used as a stand to take the photo on?  I don't recognize it at all.

Thanks mate.

I'll run a step by step I do for the black when I get my hands on the Sternguard next week. It will be far easier to show it than on a Finecast model.

Basic Tutorial would be though:

1) Primed with Vallejo VMA Gray Base

2) Base Coated with Vallejo VMA Black

3) 5:1 mix Thinner:Abaddon Black to get a nice flat colour.

4) Stipple a 1:1 Mix of Abaddon Black and Mechanicus Grey onto wear and tear sections to give the black a little bit of age

5) First Highlight of Mechanicus Grey

6) Second Highlight of Dawnstone

7) Third Highlight Ulthuan Grey

8) Final Highlight Skull White

If it comes out a little too bright on the highlights, I dilute down some Nuln Oil and apply sparingly to bring it back.

The stand is the Citadel Dice Shaker that GW released for LE when Dark Vengeance/6th Ed was released. I use it to hold paint brushes but found it had an Aquila on the bottom and makes a good stand for models!

Hope that helps

Jed

Busy weekend of painting and gaming!

My Khorne CSM force managed a nice 7-3 victory against Hannibal Adats Blood Ravens in a pretty brutal game. That was after a catastrophic tabling to Toms MC heavy Nid force which my CSM force just cannot deal with.

GW decided not to deliver my pre orders so sadly no Centurions or Sternguard for me just yet. However it gave me time to crack on with the scouts and Kitbash and paint my librarian.

Results are below:

Librarian (Kitbased from the Techmarine and some Greenstuff with the staff head from a command sprue):

gallery_74072_8813_446250.jpg

Scout Squad 1:

gallery_74072_8813_274786.jpg

gallery_74072_8813_365546.jpg

Scout Squad 1:

gallery_74072_8813_716771.jpg

gallery_74072_8813_642537.jpg

All in all I am pretty pleased with how the Librarian came out. I think he retains that nice mechanised feel of the Iron Hands whilst distinctly standing out with the colours of office.

Let me know your thoughts and next week, it's Centurion time...

-Jed

These Sternguard are lovely models and I basically have enough bits to fit another 3 squads out easily per box. The options are crazy!

WIll do a base cleanup today once I open up the Centurions woop woop:

gallery_74072_8813_155456.jpg

Brother Veteran Varlock (Nice of the new dex to name a new Sorrgol character):

gallery_74072_8813_1799451.jpg

gallery_74072_8813_1705128.jpg

gallery_74072_8813_770526.jpg

gallery_74072_8813_1334242.jpg

gallery_74072_8813_588514.jpg

gallery_74072_8813_1289771.jpg

Really nice looking Iron Hands dude!

One work of advice - drill out those barrels!! woot.gif

Thanks dude and thanks for all the comments so far.

Barrell drilling is on the menu don't you worry :) Just waiting for the right drill bit to come for my dremel as I currently only have the one for my magnets which is too wide as I found after drilling the reaper autocannons on my Khorne Termies. Let's just say they are not Twin Linked any more :(

I like the Librarian and the beardy Centurion, it just proves that the original heads are far from GW's best work.  The head swaps makes an excellent and characterful miniture.  I would never have thought of using the techmarines body for the Librarian, very Iron Hands. 

Slight change of plans this weekend. Managed to get a first game in with the Iron Hands against a friend playing my CSM Khorne. IH won it 4-2 thanks to a WL slain in a challenge with the Warlord Trait to generate D3 more VP for it. Centurions absolutely rocked before getting baleflamed rather hard. Besides that, very impressed with how they play (even if I kept forgetting the 6+ FNP roles!! doh!)

Anyways, because of that and an upcoming doubles tournament, I decided to crack on with the hunter and finish of my centurions next week as they wont make it into a 600pt list. (290pts is just a little too much to swallow in such a low point game, however amazing the grav is...)

Hunter though is finished. Beware the glare which is the matt varnish drying!

gallery_74072_8813_1758751.jpg

gallery_74072_8813_1606933.jpg

gallery_74072_8813_584294.jpg

gallery_74072_8813_1591160.jpg

Overall I'm pretty happy with how the weathering has come out. Need to add a little snow on the tracks once it all dries.

Archived