SRSFACE painting log: Project Overlord v.1.2

SRSFACE

I haven't touched any of my own miniatures in like 4 months because I was pretty stressed out with the game. My local scene unfortunately has a really big personality that leads it and he and I don't get along. I was ready to sell off all my miniatures and find a new hobby, it was that bad.

But, one of my best friends convinced me to hang around and we played a 2000 point game yesterday using normal force org as we both agree it's the most fun point value. Not doubling force org at 2k means you actually have to think about force organization slots, and it's also enough points you can bring a substantial number of models. Game was a blast, because it really is about who you play with rather than what you play. Tons of silly moments in the game. Like, when my melta gun bike missed a landraider from point blank range, proving he factually could not hit the broadside of a barn, or when his power fist sergeant falcon punched the crap out of one of my sergeants, down to his devastators losing their sergeant to a failed morale check that lead to a failed gravity test as it had to leap off a building but the other two guys who were even higher up made their checks, so we decided the dead body of the Sgt. cushioned their fall, etc.

It reinvigorated me to get around to painting my own miniatures rather than simply doing commission work for the local scene. I was halfway through my power armor command squad and have the flag bearers for my Deathwing and Ravenwing command squad all painted up, so I'm a bit of the way into it.

Anyway, here's what you're all here for. PICS OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN

First, here's the three guys I already had finished. Note, I don't do bases until I finish an entire squad, so that's why they are still plain. Once the whole  guys are finished, I will get those up and running.

Figured I should start with my pride and joy, my banner of devastation.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y21/sandmanccl/Dark%20Angels/BannerofDevastation_01_zpsb16a8791.png?t=1378655153

Second, we've got the guy who's my current avatar. Sorry you can't see his face very well, I don't really have the space to operate good lighting in my hovel of a room.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y21/sandmanccl/Dark%20Angels/CommandSquad02_zpsc52c0963.png?t=1378655172

My other boltgun-wielding robed marine. This guy's robes came out so good, it makes me happy.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y21/sandmanccl/Dark%20Angels/CommandSquad01_zpsbe8f6474.png?t=1378655162

NOW ON TO THE WORKS IN PROGRESS

UPDATE 1: APOTHECARY FINISHED

For those who hadn't seen it, here's the work in progress shot so you can compare it to the finished product.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y21/sandmanccl/Dark%20Angels/Powerarmorapothecary_04_zps284de757.png?t=1378700171

[Alternate shot 1]

[Alternate shot 2]

[Alternate shot 3]

[Alternate shot 4]

UPDATE 1.02: Company Champion finished.

Original Work In Progress photos here and here.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y21/sandmanccl/Dark%20Angels/Companychampion_zpsd05b7dc8.png?t=1378814857

[Alternate Shot 1]

[Alternate Shot 2]

Thanks, ya'll!

Very nice! Is that a free hand banner? I think the fact that i have to ask if its molded or not shows how good it is. What are you doing for bases?

Was freehand. Was really my first attempt at doing something that intricate freehand, too. I bet if I were to do it again, it'd look way nicer. I am planning on getting the Reclusiarch box at some point, and was going to take the banner in that to turn into the Banner of Fortitude. Looking forward to it!

As for bases, I've been doing a light brown (nearish the Skraag Brown color in the GW line) and drybrushed it with the GW green drybrush, whatever its called. Makes it like really sunbaked, which was my goal. I'm from the desert, so I wanted that represented somehow. I've then used dead grass flock (like, that yellowish white color grass turns if left unwatered for a long time, you know?) to add a little extra dimension, and when the fancy strikes me I'll throw on little tiny bits of slate that I paint just a grey stone color. If I wasn't at work where pretty much all photography sites were blocked, I'd link you to some of my other completely finished guys.

Just started painting. I've always been decent at doodling with a pencil, and I guess enough of that has transfered over to using tiny brushes.

I still can't draw skulls worth a damn but the rest of it came out pretty okay. I just had my DA book open to the pages that display all 3 of the Sacred Standard banners and just tried to copy what I saw.

That banner is sick. I wish I was half as good. I have never been good with proportions and art, so my banner of Fortitude is just a blank green banner.

I think they look great man, keep going.

Apothecary finished. Updated picture with links to alternate angles in the first post.

But, even though there's a link to it here, I want to show this angle:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y21/sandmanccl/Dark%20Angels/Powerarmorapothecary_02_zps9c25f120.png?t=1378700152

It's actually not 100% done. I haven't sprayed him with a matte sealant yet as again I wait until I get a whole squad done and their bases before doing that. After I do that, anything that has a natural sheen to it, like glass, gets a final coat after the matte spray of 'Ardcoat to make it glossy. So the glass phials on his backpack and Narthicium will actually look like glass when all is said and done.

That said, I like the result as it currently stands. I hadn't tried to paint any armor white yet. I'd only ever used it en masse on cloth before. Not sure I'm 100% happy with the shading on the helmet, but it still looks good and fits in alongside my other models.

Got a lot of headway into my Company Champion done. I gotta take a break for tonight though, just too tired to concentrate on painting any longer.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y21/sandmanccl/Dark%20Angels/CompanychampionWIP_02_zps64a67c66.png?t=1378791626

I love how his sword came out. Looks like black stone, which was the goal. The source lighting pips on the sword came out pretty okay too.

I'm excited to do his flag.  The funny thing is even with the angel on top of it, it's still not as tall as the Blade of Caliban. Fun stuff. I plan to put a 5 in the little white spot in the bottom left corner as I'm doing 5th company. The banner will also be the same color I typically do purity seals in. Don't know what I'll write on it. Probably "REPENT" or something.

Nice painting there.

Just a quick thought: maybe do another thin coat of white on the docs backpack...its a shame you can actually see the strokes!

Regarding the sword...size does matter, don't let anybody convince you otherwise!

Updated with finished shots of company champion. It's kind of funny. It took me as long to do his banner as it did to do pretty much all of him. It came out super nice, so it was definitely worth it.

I also really like the sword. Apparently I'm pretty good at swords, so my friends tell me.

Some of my previous work where I really like how the weapon came out:

Old School metal Daemon Prince

One of my favorites: My dirty xenos farseer.

+++ It's so dirty it has been expunged by fire. B/C has a strict policy against xenos. CL +++

@Tanhausen: I've tried to smooth it out but something was too thick in a previous layer because it just doesn't want to seem to spread thin no matter how hard I try. And it's starting to get kind of thick from too many layers of white. sad.png Oh well. Live and learn. It's hardly noticeable to the naked eye, though, and that's what really counts.

Thanks, ya'll!

Very nice! Is that a free hand banner? I think the fact that i have to ask if its molded or not shows how good it is. What are you doing for bases?

Was freehand. Was really my first attempt at doing something that intricate freehand, too. I bet if I were to do it again, it'd look way nicer. I am planning on getting the Reclusiarch box at some point, and was going to take the banner in that to turn into the Banner of Fortitude. Looking forward to it!

If you need a tutorial I've made one last year :

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y50/Masteravoghai/Dark%20angels/Tutobanniegravere_zps7f2f224a.jpg

Posted · Hidden by Brother Tyler, September 11, 2013 - SRSFACE is being an incredible baby, but we don't need to make that public.
Hidden by Brother Tyler, September 11, 2013 - SRSFACE is being an incredible baby, but we don't need to make that public.

Editing out simple links to things I've painted just because they aren't space marines is an incredibly stupid policy and just convinced me to go find another forum to post at.

Seriously, that's just childish, Chaplain Lucifer. Childish. You should feel ashamed as a grown man.

Posted · Hidden by Brother Tyler, September 11, 2013 - SRSFACE is being an incredible baby, but we don't need to make that public.
Hidden by Brother Tyler, September 11, 2013 - SRSFACE is being an incredible baby, but we don't need to make that public.

Editing out simple links to things I've painted just because they aren't space marines is an incredibly stupid policy and just convinced me to go find another forum to post at.

Seriously, that's just childish, Chaplain Lucifer. Childish. You should feel ashamed as a grown man.

I'm sorry, but B&C rules are here for a reason. If everyone felt like posting their xenos here it would not be an Armies of the Imperium forum anymore... You agreed to the forum rules upon sign up so you have no reason to complain if you broke the aforementioned rules. 

Archived