Calth's Retribution - (No Longer in Progress)

Tyrannicide

Mikhail, I committed a cardinal hobby sin by desecrating the awesome helmet of Chaplain Enkomi from FW, using that as the base. Oops. 

Ahaha damn. That's cold. The helm is looking great, though, so it's going to be worth it. I've always loved that piece of artwork, great to see it being brought to life, so to speak.

Mikhail, I committed a cardinal hobby sin by desecrating the awesome helmet of Chaplain Enkomi from FW, using that as the base. Oops.

Ahaha damn. That's cold. The helm is looking great, though, so it's going to be worth it. I've always loved that piece of artwork, great to see it being brought to life, so to speak.

Thanks buddy!

Those kitbashes look amazing. Starting to make me want to abandon my Relictors & pick a Legion...

Thank you. You should consider. It's a blast man. And plus, what has GW ever done for the Relictors besides retcon on top of retcon? ;)

Part of the ship, part of the crew. Part of the ship, part of the crew. Part of the ship, part of the crew. Part of the ship, part of the crew. Part of the ship, part of the crew. Part of the ship, part of the crew. Part of the ship, part of the crew. Part of the ship, part of the crew. Part of the ship, part of the crew. Part of the ship, part of the crew. Part of the ship, part of the crew. Part of the ship, part of the crew. Part of the ship, part of the crew.

Great work on the praetor pattern helmet (I will be stealing that... ph34r.png ). What helmet did you use as base for the GS work?

FW's Chaplain Enkomi. See above for the controversy I've started. tongue.png

Metallic blue? Hrm. Interesting. Why? 

I was going to go with a traditional darker blue, with gold rims and accents.

The Destroyers are open game though. I don't know if I should paint them normal and weather and pigment the hell outta em, or paint them black with some weathering.

Part of the ship, part of the crew. Part of the ship, part of the crew. Part of the ship, part of the crew. Part of the ship, part of the crew. Part of the ship, part of the crew. Part of the ship, part of the crew. Part of the ship, part of the crew. Part of the ship, part of the crew. Part of the ship, part of the crew. Part of the ship, part of the crew. Part of the ship, part of the crew. Part of the ship, part of the crew. Part of the ship, part of the crew.

And now there are three.....

The Destroyers are open game though. I don't know if I should paint them normal and weather and pigment the hell outta em, or paint them black with some weathering.

I would recommend the traditional darker blue with gold.  Metallic blue might look a little too gaudy and be difficult to find a contrasting color for trim and accents.  I would paint the Destroyers in the same way as the rest of your troops and then darken their armor to simulate the paint being eroded by their own radioactive munitions.  If you paint them black to start then you run the risk of them looking like they are from an entirely different Legion instead of Ultramarines.

I would recommend the traditional darker blue with gold. Metallic blue might look a little too gaudy and be difficult to find a contrasting color for trim and accents. I would paint the Destroyers in the same way as the rest of your troops and then darken their armor to simulate the paint being eroded by their own radioactive munitions. If you paint them black to start then you run the risk of them looking like they are from an entirely different Legion instead of Ultramarines.

Yeah I thought that too. I think that's the way to go.

I like the Praetor pattern helmet. I think the eye slits need to be wider and closer together. Right now, that poor bastard seems like he'd have some awful wall eye vision going on.

It's not finished yet. I agree though, that's exactly what I'll be doing.

Honestly I wouldn't take destroyers. I don't feel like they fit with the more conventional fists and ultras.

See I feel like in this case they're appropriate. The Ultramarines have been getting their asses handed to them throughout all of Ultramar. They're desperate. They're beyond pissed. For once the Ultramarines are compromising. Their empire is a smoldering, collapsed wreck. They're turning to this horrible weaponry to exact vengeance upon those that have ruined their life's work. This isn't a Legion-wide initiative, merely a small squad out of the ~1,000 Astartes that make up the newly commissioned 81st Company.

I'll pull it off. You'll like em dude. biggrin.png

Funnily enough, I had already considered the name "Vengeance Squads". Using captured XVII rad weaponry is a great idea. It could help explain why this kill squad is now using weapons that Legion command essentially outlawed in a less convoluted time. 

I've done more work on the Praetor armored helmet. I'm exhausted on the sculpting front. I need a break. Some more modelling and painting time. I'm a slow builder, painter, and now as I've discovered, sculptor. The eyes are so freakin difficult to get right. Since starting this my appreciation for what you GS gurus do has multiplied exponentially.

http://i421.photobucket.com/albums/pp299/spencertrimm/ppheadwip3.png

Looking even better now, and much less Grievous.

For me, the two hardest things I had to overcome for sculpting with GS is 1) Learning how to apply the right amount of pressure for what I want to do. I liken it to when I first started driving a car that had no cruise control and I had a hell of a time keeping the car at the same speed. It can be one of the most frustrating aspects of using GS when you push just a tiny bit too hard in one spot and ruin something  you've been working on for 20 minutes.

And 2) Learning to tackel difficult sculpting obstacles by planning them into manageable bites. Break complex objects into simple shapes and start with the lowest "level" first, letting the GS cure completely before moving up to the next part, or adding detail.

For me, the two hardest things I had to overcome for sculpting with GS is 1) Learning how to apply the right amount of pressure for what I want to do. I liken it to when I first started driving a car that had no cruise control and I had a hell of a time keeping the car at the same speed. It can be one of the most frustrating aspects of using GS when you push just a tiny bit too hard in one spot and ruin something  you've been working on for 20 minutes.

And 2) Learning to tackel difficult sculpting obstacles by planning them into manageable bites. Break complex objects into simple shapes and start with the lowest "level" first, letting the GS cure completely before moving up to the next part, or adding detail.

Yeah, these are hard lessons. I'm still in the painful stages of learning them, personally. Marvelling at that helm, I hope I can reach that level of GS skill someday.

your GS FU grows stronger with each attempt. Listen to BCK for sure. using GS, Miliput or magic sculpt its all down to the same things. levels! patience and planning will allow you to do just about anything in time. this is where yoda is wrong. if you dont try you dont learn. keep trying and one day you'll be sculpting up stuff from scratch and I look forward to seeing it.

BCK: Thanks for the advice, dude. I've definitely encountered both of those things through this process.

Jaspcat: Thank you, and I disagree; the greenstuff work on your Reaver conversions looked great. Armor is incredibly hard to get right as I've learned, haha.

Ghost: Kinds words man, though I don't feel my work really warrants it. blush.png

And you'll never know how good you are until you at least try. There's definitely a learning curve, but as with anything practice always helps.

HellChyld: Wow, really appreciate that! Your work is inspiring. smile.png

++++

I have a general idea of the posing, but Christ, this guy has been a pain in the crack. Here's where Mr. Praetor pattern is at:

http://i421.photobucket.com/albums/pp299/spencertrimm/ppsgtwip.jpeg

Some rough spots that need to be smoothed and covered, in due time. Still need to add the little cross on the other side of his face. I've gone through all my Mk. VII arms and really none of them work for the walking pose I want. Probably gonna have to order some off eBay, along with a FW Mk. II crested helmet... though no one has any at this point. Argh!

Archived