Calth's Retribution - (No Longer in Progress)

Tyrannicide

BCK: Thanks for the advice, dude. I've definitely encountered both of those things through this process.

Jaspcat: Thank you, and I disagree; the greenstuff work on your Reaver conversions looked great. Armor is incredibly hard to get right as I've learned, haha.

Ghost: Kinds words man, though I don't feel my work really warrants it. blush.png

And you'll never know how good you are until you at least try. There's definitely a learning curve, but as with anything practice always helps.

HellChyld: Wow, really appreciate that! Your work is inspiring. smile.png

++++

I have a general idea of the posing, but Christ, this guy has been a pain in the crack. Here's where Mr. Praetor pattern is at:

http://i421.photobucket.com/albums/pp299/spencertrimm/ppsgtwip.jpeg

Some rough spots that need to be smoothed and covered, in due time. Still need to add the little cross on the other side of his face. I've gone through all my Mk. VII arms and really none of them work for the walking pose I want. Probably gonna have to order some off eBay, along with a FW Mk. II crested helmet... though no one has any at this point. Argh!

That's an awesome pose and green stuff skills

BCK: Thanks for the advice, dude. I've definitely encountered both of those things through this process.

Happy to help! biggrin.png I'm planning on doing some sculpting tutorials or something in the near future. If there's anything specific you'd like me to go over, let me know.

I have a general idea of the posing, but Christ, this guy has been a pain in the crack. Here's where Mr. Praetor pattern is at:

++++

Some rough spots that need to be smoothed and covered, in due time. Still need to add the little cross on the other side of his face. I've gone through all my Mk. VII arms and really none of them work for the walking pose I want. Probably gonna have to order some off eBay, along with a FW Mk. II crested helmet... though no one has any at this point. Argh!

Loving that pose, and as for arms, why don't you just chop up something that's close and convert it what you want? If you can pull off that new face plate, then filling some gaps should be a snap.

For the crest you're looking for, did you want something like this?

http://i.imgur.com/qyMPgNL.jpg?1

I recently acquired one of those heads to use on my Templar conversion, and I had no plans for the crest. You can have it if you want.

Dorns_Fist: Thanks buddy!

Kol: Just what I was going for. Hopefully the arms will help complete the look when he's finished.

BCK: Ohhh... I'll think of something suitably hard for me to GS, so you can make it a cake walk. And you're right, I'll just get something close for the arms and then work with it from there. As for the crest, that'd certainly work! Would be much appreciated, I'll PM you. smile.png

Very very nice conversions. Some quality posing.

The sculpting on the head is really nice. Have you thought about moulding it for the whole army to save time on sculpting? Or is this a one of helm for the Praetor..

Looking forward to seeing some paint on the,.

Thanks you two, appreciate the kind words. And shaw, the Praetor pattern helmet is a one-off.

I've read into FW's release agent problems too much and am now beginning to scare myself. I feel like some of my pieces are still retaining that shiny quality after multiple washes. Maybe I'm not soaking them long enough, maybe dish soap and a toothbrush don't cut it. What does everyone else do in their experiences in working with FW resin? I'm at that stage where I'm thinking about laying down some paint but I'm psyching myself out. Maybe a thin coat of matte varnish before painting? I have most of the parts together for my Breacher squad but the shields in particular are still very glossy after two soaks/scrubs. I wanted to assemble one of the guys today but I'm starting to second guess this before I begin the work of glueing, green-stuffing, etc.

What's a guy supposed to do? confused.gif

I usually soak my resin stuff in simple green for an hour or two then run it under the tap and scrub with an old electric tooth brush.  I haven't had a problem with adhesion of my primer after that.  I use an automotive primer or Vallejo Model Air Primer on all of my minis though.  I've never been able to strip the automotive primer from anything I've applied it to either and it doesn't obscure any detail and goes on as smooth as silk.  What do you prime your minis with?

Thanks for the feedback guys, helping alleviate some of the stress! :D

Mikhail, I usually airbrush prime my minis with Vallejo Surface Primer. I'll give the Simple Green soak a shot. Do your minis still have a shine here and there on specific parts before you prime? 

Thanks for the feedback guys, helping alleviate some of the stress! biggrin.png

Mikhail, I usually airbrush prime my minis with Vallejo Surface Primer. I'll give the Simple Green soak a shot. Do your minis still have a shine here and there on specific parts before you prime?

Sometimes they do have a shine to them after I clean them but it hasn't been a problem yet. I've always followed the exact same cleaning method I mentioned and no problems in several years of FW bliss. I can't speak for the Zone Mortalis sets yet as I haven't finished painting them but no problems with any other gaming miniature or finecast for that matter. That's with the Auto Primer and the switch to Vallejo Surface Primer through the airbrush as well. I've used 5 different colors of the Vallejo primer too, I really like that product.

• 2 weeks later...

Update time!

Schools got me by the balls right now, little progress has been made. I thought studding this guy's boarding shield would be cool, turns out it's probably the most masochistic thing I've ever done. Lesson learned. Lining up the little rivets, trying to maintain some cohesive spacing, and actually getting the damn things in the right spot with glue everywhere was grinding. Still need to get some greenstuff into gaps and throw some Mk. III pads on him.

Anyways, I present to you the humble beginnings of Evocatus Caecus.

http://i421.photobucket.com/albums/pp299/spencertrimm/evo1wip1.jpeg

Also, I have the main pieces tacked together for the Captain. Not sure if I want to work on a few more Tacticals or get started on the head honcho properly. What do y'all think? Thought about his backstory last night while laying in bed, but don't remember most of it. I should be scribbling down notes because I was really digging it. biggrin.png

Archived