Calth's Retribution - (No Longer in Progress)

Tyrannicide

If you're searching for a gritty Ultra tutorial, I think you're gonna have a tough time. Most peeps prefer their Sons of Ultramar to be pretty boys. Something I know you're avoiding.

God help me for saying this, but.... have you researched how to paint Night Lords? Ignore the lightning bolts and other various trophies and terror marks, and the darker "midnight" color may be more up your alley. Try looking up Dan the Daemon's old thread, and looking up his recipie. It wasn't too dark, wasn't too light. Might be perfect.

I love the individuality that you bring to your marines with every pose and mix of armor.  I also love the inclusion of the story that accompanies them.  I just received a bottle of VMA Panzer Grey Primer in the mail and I can't wait to try it myself, I'm glad to read that you liked it.  I don't have any advice on painting a dark blue unfortunately, not my thing.  What brand of paint did you buy today that you were unhappy with?

Heathens: I had originally thought the same. I painted a backpack today that turned out close to "midnight blue". But even with gold (not bronze) detailing and no lightning, I couldn't shake the predisposed Night Lords look. I don't think it's for me. It isn't helping that literally every piece of colored Ultramarines artwork shows a different blue. There's no rhyme or reason. I have this notion that I can make Macragge Blue-based Ultramarines incredibly gritty through the use of washes, powders, and streaking grimes. I'm gonna try it. I'm getting inspired again. 

Mikhail: Thank you, sir. VMC German Panzer Grey is very dark but it's served admirably as an undercoat color. Today I picked up some fluid acrylics by Golden. They're not bad, but I don't like how the colors range in finish. I picked up two blues and one dried matte and the other gloss.

Vazzy: I'll probably end up with something close to that. I'm surprised you're able to achieve such a dark blue with that set of colors. Must be the Asurmen wash.

I'm a big fan of the Vallejo line, I switched to them for everything except the bronze color I use on my Night Lords. If you want gritty ultras I think the sponge weathering technique as well as weathering powders and dry-brushing are going to be your best bet. As far as hue goes, you can do a brighter blue which would normally very "parade ground pretty" on them, then dirty it up with paint chipping and weathering powders and all of a sudden you have a group of hardbitten Ultramarines who have just been thrown through a grinder.

I'm planning on painting nothing but Dark Angels so the darkness of the Panzer Grey will be to my benefit.  I agree with Brother Heinrich on the Vallejo lines of paint.  I gave away all of the newer GW paints I bought when I tried the Vallejo game color and now I buy the VMA almost exclusively.  The last paint I bought from a different company was some of the Tamiya Smoke and Clear Red paint.  Tamiya makes a great product too, you might try their Clear Blue over the Vallejo Panzer Grey for your Ultras it certainly would look different if nothing else.  FW painters used the Tamiya Clear Red to paint the Titans on their site.  If you get a chance check out their weathering books, I can probably lend you my copies sometime if you like.

Heathens: I had originally thought the same. I painted a backpack today that turned out close to "midnight blue". But even with gold (not bronze) detailing and no lightning, I couldn't shake the predisposed Night Lords look. I don't think it's for me. It isn't helping that literally every piece of colored Ultramarines artwork shows a different blue. There's no rhyme or reason. I have this notion that I can make Macragge Blue-based Ultramarines incredibly gritty through the use of washes, powders, and streaking grimes. I'm gonna try it. I'm getting inspired again. 

Mikhail: Thank you, sir. VMC German Panzer Grey is very dark but it's served admirably as an undercoat color. Today I picked up some fluid acrylics by Golden. They're not bad, but I don't like how the colors range in finish. I picked up two blues and one dried matte and the other gloss.

Vazzy: I'll probably end up with something close to that. I'm surprised you're able to achieve such a dark blue with that set of colors. Must be the Asurmen wash.

It's a uh, Heavy wash. And it often varies in shade

I'm a big fan of the Vallejo line, I switched to them for everything except the bronze color I use on my Night Lords. If you want gritty ultras I think the sponge weathering technique as well as weathering powders and dry-brushing are going to be your best bet. As far as hue goes, you can do a brighter blue which would normally very "parade ground pretty" on them, then dirty it up with paint chipping and weathering powders and all of a sudden you have a group of hardbitten Ultramarines who have just been thrown through a grinder.

It's looking like that's the way to go. If anything, the lighter hue will help showcase the weathered look I'm going for. I'm gonna try my best to get that gritty grime look on these guys. They're Calth survivors after all!

I'm planning on painting nothing but Dark Angels so the darkness of the Panzer Grey will be to my benefit.  I agree with Brother Heinrich on the Vallejo lines of paint.  I gave away all of the newer GW paints I bought when I tried the Vallejo game color and now I buy the VMA almost exclusively.  The last paint I bought from a different company was some of the Tamiya Smoke and Clear Red paint.  Tamiya makes a great product too, you might try their Clear Blue over the Vallejo Panzer Grey for your Ultras it certainly would look different if nothing else.  FW painters used the Tamiya Clear Red to paint the Titans on their site.  If you get a chance check out their weathering books, I can probably lend you my copies sometime if you like.

You're too kind, mikhail. :)

Yeah my Vallejo collection is growing quite a bit. Some really cool paints. I've heard of Tamiya's clear red though I've never looked into the stuff. Looking forward to seeing more I Legion from you!  

Bannister Tullus, Evocati, XIII Legion

Did you call him that after he fell down some stairs and caught himself on the railing (also known as 'banister' in British English)? :teehee:

Also, answer your PM's, damn it :P

Well, I could recommend you use kantor blue, caledor sky and calgar blue from the citadel range. Those are the colours I use. Just mix basecoat with Kantor Blue, then mix Kantor and Caledor to a 1:1 and for highlights add the calgar blue to the previous mix in a 1:1:1. Its simple and looks dark, grim and great.

I could get you some pictures and techniques for using the Tamiya Clear Blue actually.  I just remembered that a gentleman at our local club has a Reaver Titan painted in the Warp Runners colors just like the one on the FW site.  He used the method from the IA book and would be more than happy to explain it in detail for me to relay to you.  I'll get you a link to some pics if you want and I'll take better pics myself. 

Do you use an airbrush? if so, I would probably basecoat them VMA Dark Sea Blue, followed by VMA French Blue from the top, followed by French Blue with a little grey added to achieve a zenithal highlight. (VMA is great since you do not have to mix the paints for the airbrush!) Then use a black oil-wash followed by weathering with a sponge. I haven't done this myself but that's what I would try if i ever decided to start an Ultramarines army.

Otherwise this guide might help you somewhat: http://djartistknight.deviantart.com/art/Ultramarine-III-Pt-VII-142788220 he's a very skilled painter.

Adding an orange/red weathering powder to the base complements the ultramarines scheme very well btw.

Good luck!

Ludo: Damn, I wasn't aware. Makes him seem far less cool now. I just liked how "Bannister" sounded, very warrior-like in my mind. confused.gif

Ferrus: I think it's a little too dark for my tastes. I really want to distance myself from the NL look.

Anaziel: I may just give it a shot my friend.

Mikhail: Not necessary, dude. I don't know how comfortable I feel using Tamiya across the whole army. I'd rather go with Citadel or Vallejo - ranges I know better.

MagicMan: Yeah, it didn't come out nearly as neat as yours. More practice would certainly help. Those Ultras were painted using the same technique?

Entei: I do use an airbrush for the beginning stages. I don't have any of those VMA colors, so I'll have to look into possibly picking those up. I've never tried oil washes but they do help lend to realistic/gritty tones, huh? And for the basing I'm thinking a simple earthy dirt/debris look, though I'll see if I can work some orange tones into it.

Exactly the same technique my friend. Its a very simple technique, paintwise/timewise, you just have to be careful with the edge highlighting. And get the blue to the right consistency before painting over the metal basecoat. 

If you've maybe got some AoBR or DV marines, you could practice on them. Hope it works out anyway bud. :)

Another thing to consider is that when blue chips, its edges are white (don't now if thats been mentioned before now, sorry :( ) So the layer you'd looks for is your highlight on the outermost 'circle', white on the next level, brown on the next level, and 'metal' on the lowest. 

• 2 weeks later...

If you're searching for a gritty Ultra tutorial, I think you're gonna have a tough time. Most peeps prefer their Sons of Ultramar to be pretty boys. Something I know you're avoiding.

God help me for saying this, but.... have you researched how to paint Night Lords? Ignore the lightning bolts and other various trophies and terror marks, and the darker "midnight" color may be more up your alley. Try looking up Dan the Daemon's old thread, and looking up his recipie. It wasn't too dark, wasn't too light. Might be perfect.

Mine are dark and gritty.  maybe a tad too dark for some people's taste.  check out the links to my WiP and HoH threads to see what mine are like.

If you aren't aware, Darth Potato is no longer proceeding with his Post-Heresy Ultramarine force, on account of not wanting to wait for their Horus Heresy book to be released by Forge World. It seems that update has been eaten by the Empyrean.

If you want to keep up-to-date with his most recent project, check out this thread and leave this one be.

Bah! A feeble excuse! Chapter Master Leonid Arvael will be continuing to muster the survivors of Calth in preparation for the summons from Guilliman.

May you beg the forgiveness of Lord Roboute, and paint your helm red in Censure for your laxness in your Duty to the XIII.

Only joking, best of luck in your current project - and hopefully when our time arrives in the FW HH series you shall see fit to return to the fold :)

If you aren't aware, Darth Potato is no longer proceeding with his Post-Heresy Ultramarine force, on account of not wanting to wait for their Horus Heresy book to be released by Forge World. It seems that update has been eaten by the Empyrean.

If you want to keep up-to-date with his most recent project, check out this thread and leave this one be.

I appreciate your interest but as Dragonkin Arenis said, this project is unfortunately no more. I made a post regarding this before the most recent site hiccup.

Let's let this one rest guys. Thank you.

For the XIII! For Calth!

Archived