Allied Space wolves

KnightOfBAAL

We're not a melee army.

If you really want melee-centricity, go Blood Angels. But if for fun, the TWC are SW's strongest melee unit. As for allies in the 500-600 range, you still have to get an HQ and Troop choice before TWC (as they are Fast Attack). The C:SW is still pricey compared to the newer 'dexs, so at minimum, you're looking at 145pts (WGBL + 5man GH pack) before you can start grabbing TWC. Then the TWC being 50pts apiece before wargear...

I dunno, as far as allies go, I'd rather get something with more bang for my buck.

Hrrmm... Well...

Wolves are a midrange army. We're comfortable in assault, but we do prefer to soften the enemy up before the charge happens. Thunderwolves are something of the exception; They work best in hammer and anvil strategies, assaulting while another unit forms an anvil (several drop pods of Grey Hunters, or a similar alpha strike).

I think the question is, what do you want the allies for? Do you want CC-capable units to screen your more vulnerable primary detachment? That, wolves can do. Or are you looking to try and actually tie units up in CC?

I want to use wolves as half a distraction and to hit an enemy's flank with a rock hard unit as the rest of my army moves up

literally an advancing gun line that has some CC (vanguard vets assault marines)  ubt I really want an amazing hammer and I think space wolves do that better for the points than blood angels do

well only one of the TWC can be kitted with a better weapon. The rest have standard weapons, however they are S5 rending. Keep in mind that this crazy dudes have 4 attacks each standard, then 2 of them +1 attack for combat weapons + pistol 10 attacks standard from 2 models then 4 attacks from the 3rd guy, and then 4-5 attacks from wolf lord. Then you got charge bonus, + hammer of wrath your looking at 20+ attacks.

Keep in mind that draw fire like no tomorrow. you really need to think about how you move these units. Can you jump from cover to cover, if not what do you have in the rest of your army to shield them form direct fire. 

Archived