Minx Studio- Deathwing HQs conversion(sculpting the libby)

Minx

hahah, well in the new year we hope to hire some more people... if we can get to a point where we can free up some of our time a bit more. I hope to do a whole series of video tutorials...

cross your fingers... :P

hahah, well in the new year we hope to hire some more people... if we can get to a point where we can free up some of our time a bit more. I hope to do a whole series of video tutorials...

cross your fingers... tongue.png

Like on a youtube channel? 'cuz I would subscribe the :cuss out of your youtube channel if you made one.

@Firepower, written article wouldnt explain it well enough. When I do tutorials, I like to cover the things that prevent people from understanding or achieving their successes (aka common failures and reasons why) I like doing short video series. I have one written up already for blending. Filming is always the issue.

Most tutorials are just, follow me, or follow your nose or whatever. Sometimes instructional videos explain the purpose, but rarely do they ever explain the real stuff people need to know.

@The Chaplain, yep they will be through a YouTube channel, as such they will be free, which is why I cant quite afford the time yet!

@Brother Melice, We are located in Ottawa, Canada, quite the trip from Virginia! However if you are seriously interested, PM me :) 

Working away at the librarian! Doing the calgar style ornamentation. Head sculpt is complete as well! More photos of the process on the armour and head on our facebook page(link in sig)

So we changed the pose. imagine the ground is cracking beneath him, the landscape twisting, the librarian holding his balance on a declining cliff, fighting the daemons and chaos that is before him!

Using his point staff he point in their general direction while the back hand wields the great book of somewhat secrets....  

http://i1365.photobucket.com/albums/r742/Minx999/IMG_1385_zps802157cf.jpg

http://i1365.photobucket.com/albums/r742/Minx999/IMG_1384_zpsfaeeefe0.jpg

http://i1365.photobucket.com/albums/r742/Minx999/IMG_1386_zps6b811684.jpg

Magic Sculpt- White, for building a miniature we need to carve and sand. We find it easier to work with than milliput for this sort of thing, does not cure quite as hard as milliput but still hard enough. More prone to peeling when cutting than milliput, so its a bit softer. It also dries faster.

Stick putty- dark grey in base,this putty cures in 5 mins, smells like burning tires, and dries rock hard... its great for anything you need a putty to cure fast for

Procreate- light grey, we use it to cover the armature like greenstuff, its not as sticky but cures a bit faster and a bit harder

Sculpey/Fimo mix- Grey Head, this stuff only cures when its baked, so its great for anything you'd like to take more time "playing" with to get it right before setting, we normally do scratch sculpts in this material, but when the topic is all hard surfaces we find it easier to work all in epoxy.

Milliput, milliput+green stuff,yellowish or yellow green, this stuff dries rock hard but you must use saliva oils or other non water based stuff to smoothen otherwise it breaks down. This stuff is used for weapons and sometimes armour pieces because its very nice to carve crisp shapes and sand smooth. We also used this to do the capes and crotch blankets on the first two characters

Greenstuff- green, we use this for applying to smaller miniatures, when the armatures/sculptures are thinner green stuff is best because its sticky and stretches super thin better than any putty. Its also good for substructure for floaty hair and capes, and so on. We used this on the librarians staff wrap.

Here are the current shots of the librarian... if you'd like to see the WiP and process photos, please check our facebook. There is about 20 photos of the process zoomed in, in great detail. Too much work posting that many pics on a forum at once :P

Archived