Alternate Heresy Community Project

Conn Eremon

He refers to the heraldic cross of the Black Watch, perhaps given in honor of some heroic act, and a captured relic sword discovered upon the surface of a world released from an incredibly intense Warpstorm. The perils of the Warp had done much to that world. Why, their records of the Imperium depicted it so utterly foreign and alien as to have virtually little in comparison with reality. It is perhaps surprising that a member of the devoted IIIrd would carry a relic of such a world, given their heretical writings on that most revered of Legions, depicting them as little more than sense-crazed variants of the hated Minotaurs. Perhaps this Marine carries it as a reminder, of how easily one can fall to the wiles of the Warp. It is a warning to never believe the lies of the Ruinous Powers.

The cross of the Black Watch, you say? Ah, I know whereof you speak!

Although Astartes who have 'taken the Black' are forbidden any form of decoration or ornamentation save for the battle damage that failed to end their shame, and struck from the records of the successor that produced them, there is one exception to this otherwise ironclad rule.

After the Black Watch was wiped out for the third time while defending the Bascilicae on Lesser Damatyne from Waagh Sunkilla, the Inner Circle of the Catheric Church voted that any Astartes organization who had members in the Watch during that fateful battle be allowed to wear the Crux Signus.

The Emperor's Children and the Celestial Lions are two that are known to have accepted the honor. Others (the Imperial Hounds among them) reacted to the suggestion one of their number could ever fall so low as to join the Black Watch with much less grace.

That brings me to something else, though.

I think the status of the Orkz should be somewhat different than canon, because even after the Heresy there are going to be lots of people who blame EVERYTHING on the Orkz that crippled the Emperor on Ullanor, leading to an Imperium that positively hates the greenskin (whereas in canon feral Orkz are a nuisance to be tolerated and the far flung Greenskin enclaves are ignored unless they're throwing Waaghs into Imperial territory).

So multiple crusades into Ork territory, especially by Executioners, are common. This has created its own set of problems, where Ork forces that perhaps would have otherwise only ventured rarely into our territory are instead in a perpetual state of war with us. Orks being Orks, this state of utter war has been only beneficial to them.

To the point where some of their "empires" are even harder to crack. Though constant effort is made to cull their behemoth leaders, nonetheless some have survived.

Some have grown larger. More cunning. And far, far more dangerous.

So I've accidentally spurred a bit of development for the Black Watch?

That might be the most fortuitous shortage of bitz I've suffered from in a long while.laugh.png

As for the sword I'm just gonna go right ahead and say the teardrop on the sword is an unusually shaped stone and nothing more.

The Medusans in the Emperor's Children can be a superstitious bunch on occasion, and maybe it's considered a good luck charm of sorts.whistlingW.gif

So, inspiration just struck me, and here's a quick story as a result.

"I know what calls to you."

Lupercal gritted his teeth as he was pushed backwards. Despite every trick and tactic he'd brought to bear, Adra'Melek had the height advantage on the slope, and was using the leverage to drive Lupercal down towards a crevasse. Around them, Astral Wolves and Infernal Legion alike clashed all along the length of the ridge.The Liberator snarled and redoubled his efforts, finally finding purchase on the loose gravelly surface and halting his brother's advance.

"I know what voice commands you, Brother." Lupercal continued. Melek raised his head and stared at Lupercal, the madness in his eyes dimming somewhat.

"I am only doing what the Warmaster asked of me. It is you, brother, with your endless scheming and machinations, who have brought this judgement on yourself." Melek replied, sourly. Lupercal's expression grew thunderous.

"And is it Corax's words in your ear now, Brother? Is it the Warmaster who wants me struck down?" Lupercal, with a mighty effort, pushed Melek away from him and ran across the slope, jumping onto a protruding rock. It wasn't much, the Liberator knew, but at least now the two would face each other on level ground. Lupercal's armour was cracked open in a dozen places. Adra'Melek's was battered just as badly, but sheer rage seemed to buoy him aloft and drive him past the pain. The Burned Man righted himself, the anger in his eyes rising once more. Lupercal called out once more as the Warlord of Nocturne approached.

"Do you think I haven't heard the call of the same voice, Melek? The voice that urges me, even now, to strike the head from your shoulders as an offering?"

Adra'Melek leapt onto the rock. Lupercal swung his mace, but Melek parried adeptly with the haft of his scythe, turning with the sweep of the blade and bringing it across at leg height with a deceptive speed. Lupercal stumbled back, his leg bleeding. Melek whirled the scythe about, knocking the mace from Lupercal's grasp and kicking out his brother's injured leg. Lupercal crashed to the floor as the Burned Man raised his scythe high for the killing strike. Lupercal could see by the fires dancing in his brother's eyes that the end was nigh.

"You've always carried this rage in your heart. It's a rage I know well." Lupercal grunted as he pulled himself to a sitting position, looking his brother in the eye. "And in the heart of that rage you've found a new master. Now you'll always be a slave to your own hatred, Melek." Lupercal closed his eyes in dismissal, a smirk crossing his face. "But at least I will die free."

The scythe whipped down like a striking snake, cleanly severing Lupercal's head from his shoulders. Adra'Melek hadn't heard a word his brother had said over the thumping beat of his own hearts, pounding his blood into a frenzy. The way was so clear now. No more tricks, no more games. No more restraint. In the end, it all came down to power, wrath and fury. It would all end in blood.

It was meant to sound more like 'You've always only held back on killing everyone because Dad or one of us said not to'. On balance, I could word that much better. I'll edit it in a bit once I work out what to write.sweat.gif

As you know I'm trying to create the Infernal Legion as playable, counts as Salamanders. So if a scythe can be Str 10 AP1 with the special attack that Vulkan has then great :)  I was thinking of doing something akin to the Dragontooth thing that Havel carries in Dark Souls.

Ace, I'll have a proper read when I get home.

Can someone remind me why Melek and Lupercal are fighting? The were both sent to take care of the 1st Legion but how did they come to blows?  The way I invisioned Melek was from the Emperor's fall he had to back track to take can of rebellions against the Imperium. Then Corax suggests/orders that the Pallatine (is that right?) has turned as well. So he goes in. I could see Lupercal doing something that makes him think he's turning as well and let's rip. Kind of like canon Jonson being a bit untrusting of others and then Perturabo does the dirty just before Istvaan V and it flips a switch (in Melek's case it's his killswitch).

I figured it was pretty much that as well - Melek sees enough of Jonson's actions and attitude reflected in Lupercal's own. Melek, being a sensible chap, calls Lupercal out on this, and the Liberator, annoyed by the comparison, takes it as an invitation to have a blazing row with his brother. By the end of it, Lupercal's barbed jibes have made Melek pretty furious and the two-on-one war becomes a free-for-all until Melek corners Lupercal.

I'll edit that story in a bit, honest.sweat.gif

I'm just a bit wrapped up in keeping my relatives happy for now.ermm.gif

By the time Malek and Lupercal come to blows, Malek is already for Khorne. Lupercal is the sacrifice that fuels his ascension.

Or at least, that was the idea we have been running with. Is that something you want changed, Thunor?

No, it's fine as is. I just wasn't 100% what made him turn on the Lupercal but I think we've kind of sorted it. After fighting Jonson for a bit Melek sees everyone other than his sons as traitors the Emperor and just starts killing everyone and everything. Planets burn, eventually coming to a climax in the battle between the brothers and Melek finally ascends as a Daemon Prince. Or something like that.  What happens after that I'm not sure. Just general rampage killing everyone in the galaxy for being traitor until finally pushed into the Eye by the real loyalists? And then begins 10,000 years of Crusades to destroy the 'traitors', perhaps.

Edited the story, now it's a bit more fitting of the characters, although probably not much.sweat.gif

Eh, it's just a rough outline of what could possibly happen anyway. We'll figure out all the details once we get there, right?ermm.gif

Could be interesting if they retain a sense of loyalty.

Maybe they feel that, with everyone just picking over the Emperor's bones while he still lives in a deathlike fugue, the simplest kindness of ending His torment is what is needed.

Could explains why they don't turn into an entire Legion of Kharns, slaughtering each other. They continue to follow Corax because the means to his endgame is their endgame, the Emperor's final death. Eventually, all ideals of loyalty have been stabbed, beheaded and bled out upon the altar of the Blood God. Eventually, the Reaper of Skulls cares only for the favor he would gain for taking the skull of the Emperor.

I suppose, imagine if any of the Legions were transport from 30k to 40k, they wouldn't recognise the Imperium as the same thing, and if anything it goes completely against what they were fighting for. So with the formation of our church they see the Emperor being kept alive to propagate this mockery in his name. Now that's going to annoy you even more, right? So Melek wants to release the Emperor and kill everyone who lives in the mockery of the Imperium, which pleases Khorne no end.

Regarding the scythe. Does it fit with Nocturne? I'm not sure that it does. If someone can come up with a reasonable way for him to start using a scythe then cool. I kind of see him having made something out of the various sauropods he killed while on his own. A Drake Femur club or something like that.

BTW Ace, I like the modifications. It certainly fits with my understanding.

Kill a Drake, sharpen one of it's ribs and tie it to a pole of some sort. Instant Dragon-rib scythe!laugh.png

Yeah, Adra'Melek could be really thrown off after the Emperor's near-death at Ullanor.

I know Bron's going to see it as his only chance for galactic peace withering and dying in front of him, so perhaps 'Melek sees something similar? The death of a truly great and just man, and those that should be striving to emulate him instead waste their time bickering, whinging and picking at his remains like carrion.

So with anger in his heart over his brothers' petty squabbling and all the deplorable fallout that comes after the Emperor's defeat, 'Melek finds less and less reason to forgive those who commit transgressions against the Emperor's will, and more and more reason to just cut them into tiny pieces.

Certainly works as a background motivator for the Legion. No matter what though, at the end of the day they are not loyalists. If they are Khornate, if they have fallen to Chaos, then their ideals have been irrevocably corrupted. The canon Alpha Legion provide an example of a Legion that joins the traitors out of loyalty to the Emperor and ends up as corrupted hate-filled as the rest of them.

As for the scythe, it all depends on you. If you want the scythe, then it is an easy thing to keep. Adra'Malek can retain the image of Death, suitably berzerkerfied as a grim, frenzied reaper. Where it originates can also be an easy thing to come up with. Vulkan uses hammers because he was raised by a blacksmith. Our Lorgar wields farm equipment rather than weapons crafted solely for war. No reason why Adra'Malek couldn't have picked up a scythe, used it to go to town on those Dark Eldar who raided Nocturne in canon. Or go full Monster Hunter and say the scythe was crafted from the remains of Salamander drakes and native Nocturnean ore, which could fit with what image you already have of him. Pick what works best under the Rule of Cool, then come up with some ways that can make it fit.

Personally, I would vote to keep the scythe. I am actually rather eager to see a Khornate Grim Reaper. If you would rather go with something else, go for it. He's your Burned God.

---------------------------------------------------

Here are some thoughts I had on the organization of the First Legion and the Orders of the Sword.

First Legion

Companies of a hundred led by Centurions

Cohorts of five Companies led by Commanders

Several Cohorts are led by Consuls

Consuls name their commands for the areas they are devoted to or are raised from. Therefore, the Cohorts from the Midus Cluster add Midaem to their name.

Cohorts are numbered within their Consulates(?).

Therefore, there is a 1st Cohort ‘Midaem’ through 7th Cohort ‘Midaem,’ each of which are raised from specific worlds within the Midas Cluster, barring the 1st Cohort, the Consul's own, which takes the veterans and the elite from the other Cohorts. Those who have shown exceptional skill and potential within the 1st Cohort may find themselves forwarded to the Palatine's personal Cohort.

There are nine Cohorts ‘Praetoriae’ based on the core worlds of the Palatinate, collectively known as the Praetorian Worlds. However, there is only a single Cohort for the homeworld itself, simply called the Cohort ‘Palatina’. This is the elite of the First Legion, and is led personally by Jonson himself. The First Cohort moved wholesale into the First Legion’s primary Successor, formed from the Cohorts Praetoriae, more often known as the Praetorians, after the reforms and continued to be led by the Palatine. The Cohort ‘Palatina’ was lost to a man on the fateful day of Jonson’s death, and was never again reformed.

The command structure of the First Legion is rigidly structuralized. All Legionaries must first be inducted into the innermost councils of the Legion before they are considered for a command position.

Most Cohorts are specialized in a specific aspect of war, making them most effective when working in tandem with other Cohorts. Though the Consuls may differ greatly in the number of Cohorts under their command, the specializations may be spread among the Cohorts or divided within a Cohort so that no Consul’s command could ever be without a tactical solution.

Notable organizations include the torquata, the most decorated, veteran Legionaries under a Consul’s command. Only those who bear the torques are ever inducted into the Palatina. A Cohort designated the classica will more often than not fight in the vastness of space rather than upon the worlds of the enemy, specializing in void warfare and boarding actions. The youngest Legionaries, fresh recruits not yet finished with their training, make up the speculatorum, a force of scouts and other reconnaissance.

The First Legion is known for its adaptability in the face of change on the battlefield. After the eight year war against the Vizier Gothica, a specialization in urban warfare increased, referred to as the urbanae. Though the need for such a specialization drastically decreased following the war’s bloody conclusion, many Consuls retain sizable formations and others will reform them as the need arises.

However, the assault on the Palatinate by Lupercal and the anarchist Astral Wolves saw the greatest change in Legionary dispositions. With the destabilizing, chaotic effects of an Astral Wolf attack often outliving the assault itself, the First Legion has been forced to police its own worlds, protecting them in a more subtle manner. This has given rise the vigilum, watchmen over the mortal populations, and the togata, a small cadre of warriors who test the security of the Palatinate in efforts that mirror the blood games of the Emperor’s Custodian Guard.

Not all of the First Legion’s military might is Astartes. Often referred to as the alaria, the allied or auxiliary mortal forces were organized into Cohorts that reflected the organization of the Legion itself. These mortal soldiers greatly outnumbered the Astartes, and were utilized to great effect when in concert with the Astartes. Though mortal officers were present, each Cohort of the alaria was led by a handful of Astartes Centurions, often raised from the vigilum, thereby ensuring that the mortal forces worked seamlessly in tandem with the rest of the Legion. (And meaning that a certain Tyrant’s rules in the Badab War books could be used to represent the First Legion)

Orders of the Sword

Psychic disciplines are organized into Wings, borrowing heavily from the knightly traditions of Caliban.

The Ravenwing are a rapid response force, utilizing their foresight and powers of prediction, coupled with the speed of bikes and speeders, to anticipate and meet the enemy at every turn.

The Ironwing share an intimate relationship with the machine spirits, enabling a communion that some Mechanicus techpriests would deem heretical, but unmatched. These armour divisions are capable of great feats of coordination and heavy destructive capabilities, as if the vehicle and crew were of one mind.

The Deathwing, the pyromancers of the Legion, are forever marred by the ashes left in their wake. Their purges have brought many worlds to their knees. Few who feel the touch of their flames live.

The Dreadwing are masters of close-quarters combat. These melee fighters leap into the thickest of fighting and lay waste to all around them with their peerless blade work, flawless forms, and devastating telekinetic attacks.

Currently missing a Wing for the canon Pavoni, who change their body chemistry and make-up. For military application, they are like tiny canon Death Guard. Infantry who just keep walking through fire. I can’t think of any other named Wings, and I only wanted to make up the Ironwing.

Edit: Screw you, B&C's formatting thingamajigs. Screw you.

OK, I'll keep the Scythe, I was thinking of something along the lines of him just picking up a discarded one to fight of the DE. I think it's a nice homage to Mortarion. Regarding them being 'loyalist' well I'd say it's a rather ambiguous term in our universe, isn't it? In canon there was one group against the Emperor. In this case the Emperor is fallen. So I see Melek as being loyal to the ideal of the Imperial Truth but eventually just loses faith with the Imperium and vows to see it burn. For a reason to start and but then kills just for the sake of killing, collecting skulls for Khorne, lost in the need to Kill, Main, Burn.

Ambiguous at first, sure. But to once the Legions become more overtly Chaos, that ambiguity goes right out the window. With Malek's ascension, that is sooner rather than later for him and the Infernal Guard

That could be a good set up for the confrontation between the Wolves and Infernals. At first, the introduction of the XIV buckles Jonson's well-planned defenses. It breaks the stalemate, forcing the First Original onto the back foot.

As time goes on, their attacks become more and more indiscriminate. To the point where the Astral Wolves suffer a defeat because their support was too busy slaughtering non-Palatinate worlds.

But the kicker comes when the Infernal Guard assault a world taken and held by the Astral Wolves since the beginning of the war. Lupercal confronts Melek on this madness, and hilarity fratricide ensues.

Archived