[HH1.0] Iron Hands Tactics

Noctus Cornix

I would imagine using a good ol' Head of the Gorgon list would be of use against an Ironfire list. You'd be able to Outflank any tank, including transports such as Rhinos, so could give those Veterans another useful skill. You could probably have almost everything off the board if you wanted.

Squeeze in 2-3 Dreadclaws or Dreadnought Drop Pods and you'll definitely have board presence on Turn 1. Heck, make that a Leviathan in a Drop Pod with a Melta Lance and watch Artillery Squadrons weep sweet, sweet tears.

Edited by Emperors Teeth

I second leviathan in a pod. A melta lance would be aces. Or a Grav bombard if you're dealing with a ton of rapier batteries. 

The havoc it causes the first turn it drops in can't be understated. Even once you've taken care of your artillery problem, there are a dozen other objectives it can fulfill.

Grav bombards ignore cover and the rapier battery automatically fails its strength test. It's pretty easy to cause 3 wounds on the rapier and knock it out even if your opponent has a crewman positioned out front as an ablative wound. 

For Medusas, a Melta lance will cut through them like it was an afterthought. Plus, if its more than one Medusa, they have to be in a squadron. It's not out of the realm of possibility to pod in and kill more than one in the first turn before your Iron Warrior opponent can retaliate. 

As you slaughter the treacherous mongrel, whisper in is ear, barely audible "I know you witnessed the death on my Primarch. But if no witnesses remain, then no one can attest the crime..."

Ferrus was weak, Ferrus was a fool.

He should have embraced the machine as his true sons have done with the help of some obliging Magos.

Purge the flesh, purge the living, only the iron and the machine shall endure.

Alright lads,

Here's what I will be fielding the next 5,000 apocalypse game:

Pride of the Legion

Lord of War

Ferrus Manus

Warhound Scout Titan

HQ

Autek Mor - Cyber Familiar

Castrmen Orth

Troops

10 Gorgons

2 Chainfists, 2 Grav guns

Spartan Dedicated transport

Flare Shield, Dozer Blade Multi Melta

10 Gorgons
2 Chainfists, 2 Grav guns

Spartan Dedicated transport
Flare Shield, Dozer Blade Multi Melta

10 Man Support Squad

Plasma Guns

Rhino APC Dedicated Transport

Dozer Blade 

Elites

Contemptor Mortis

2x Kheres Assault Cannon

3 Quad Mortar Rapiers

Heavy Support

Leviathan Dreadnought Talon

2 Leviathans with Grav Flux Bombard and Siege Drill

2x Choom, Phosphex Discharger

3 Laser Destroyer Vindicator

Dozer Blade

Sicaran Battle Tank

Lascannon sponsons

I am thinking of out muscling the resistance with heavy armour and crush them afoot. If knights attempted to close the distance, the leviathans and Gorgons intercept.

There's a couple of ways.

- Use the 'Onslaught' Force Organisation Chart. It has 2 LoW slots, but you can't use a Rite of War if you are using any of these alternative charts.

- Even a single LoW slot can have multiple units in, as a War Machine detachment (read up on the Age of Darkness Lords of War types). This for example, only lets you use two super-heavy vehicles of the same unit type with 8 or less hull points.

For the two you described, you need to use the Onslaught Chart if you want them together.

Well - you can't really use the Alternative Force Orgs with RoW, or so the ruleings go (outside of Zone Mortalis)

But this is also an Apoc game, so I'd image either the restrictions on that are Lax or just bringing Titans is encouraged!

I like your list though WP - Very Hard and suits Ferrus.

Are you the Elite Spearhead to your army's side? :D

@Luna, I am doing a painting blitz thia week, and I will post a picture of the painted stuff the day before on June 10th, because black primer models are boring ;)

As for the 2 LoW, we use a flat 25% value, because having to chose inbetween a primarch and a superheavy at that points level is just well... heresy!

@Charlo ALWAYS. Ferrus ain't got time fo dat. First man in, last man out. The Iron Hands are the superior armoured Spearhead and I don't hesitate to drive up to traitors and bionicaly punch them in the junk.

I apologise in advance, as I'm probably asking a dumb question.

A squad of Medusan Immortals (which can take chainswords over bolters) does gain +1 attack (due to the bolt pistol) or not? (due to the boarding shield rule)

I apologise in advance, as I'm probably asking a dumb question.

A squad of Medusan Immortals (which can take chainswords over bolters) does gain +1 attack (due to the bolt pistol) or not? (due to the boarding shield rule)

It never can gain +1 attack due to the Boarding shield. It's a purely aesthetic option.

Wolf_Pack I'm asking not because of aestethics, but because on LACAL says that you can switch their bolters for combat weapons (which, in conjunction with their pistols should add +1 A), BUT they have boarding shields as you say, that's why I was asking :-)

What I mean is that the option is there for modeling porposes. Not in the hopes of gettting an additional attack :wink:

I see, sorry didn't understand. Well that would be sad :-\

I emailed Forgeworld for an official opinion

Time for a little tactical feedback.

I played a 5,000 point game against our most hated and vile enemy, the Emperor's Children.

I must say, the highlight of that game was how vital Leviathans are to armoured company style lists. I ran pride with the list I postes above, swapping out ferrus for a Proteus transport for the plasma support and a venator.

With drills and a grav Bombard, they fend off most of the threats to a vehicle spearhead. If the enemy deepstrikes behind your lines, the grav bombard and phospex can easily erase a whole terminator squad.

The claws prevents knights from engaging your tanks because they have such ablarge foot print and you can just block off the charge, whichs is dicey for the knight. Eating those S10 armourbane hits is not part of a healthy breakfast.

I had one on each flank and they served their purpose admirably. They will definitely become staples over contemptors for me, even with the heavily contested heavy slot. They run great with squadronable tanks.

So you foot slogged them?

That is pretty cool - I suppose a couple can work out like that, though I suppose at 5k the amount of threats are myriad!

Exactly. I just finished my apoc weekend, and both did rather amazing. One warded off a knight, delaying his approach for a turn and murdered some heathens hiding in cover and the other made it into the opposing deployment zone and fisted a damaged stormlord off the table. Grav bombards are glorious to deal with auxila entrenched behind an aegis line.

Edited by Wolf_Pack

Yeah Grav seems to be such an insane weapon on them, the ignores cover is just too good.

I'd honestly almost be tempted in a reserve manip list to have one with Double Grav & Phosphex for the sole intention of nuking whatever bailed out of an exploding spartan.

So a question from a HH novice. If I want to start a IH legion, what vehicles is a good start? A big bonus if they are usable by my 40k IH army as well.

Sicaran? 1 or 2?

Vindi laser destroyer? 1 or 2?

Quad guns? 1-2-3?

Typhoon?

Anything else?

I haven't had the chance to see what RoW they have yet, and I'm placing an order from FW tonight so any feedback would be appreciated