Centurion Deathstars

Gideon999

So I have been seing this pop up on posts both here and on Dakka, but can't seem to find any really good info on either the composition or usage.   Since I have 6 of these bad boys I am curious as to ways to use them effectively since their point cost makes them a fairly intense investment for any army (especially if you start taking more than the stock 3 man squad).

So what is the "centurion deathstar"?   Is there more than one version, how is it deployed and most importantly, how is it used to best effect?

Cheers!

Centurions + Tiggy for Invulnerable Save.  Or stick them on a Landing Pad.  Or use a Dangle with a PFG.

I like Assault Centurion, for the counter assault deterrence, but Grav Cannon Centurion put out obscene firepower.

If you had 6 of those, that's 30 S? AP2, and 18/36 TL Bolter shots per turn...

Pew Pew.

Deathstar anything is bad idea in 6th. You make a gimmick unit that might win you a game or two against an unprepared opponent, but it's not a strong approach. 

If it seems fun to you then by all means go for it. Not every game has to be super serious competitive business. :)

Well, we played a fun list with 6 grav centurions with DA Azrael joining them...

AND IT WAS A HUGE PAIN!

THEY  JUST PEW PEW PEW AND ONE UNIT'S GONE!

Oh but that's just a fun game, don't take death star ideas too seriously when you're building your list seriously, it's 6th anyway.

I think two units of three work better than one unit of 6.

Cent devs with omniscope 2 units of three can target 4 opposing units. One unit of 6 can target 2 opposing units.

Assault cents the first unit eats the over watch insuring the second gets in unscathed.

Separate units can always target the same units. So your losing a lot but gaining very little by running one big unit.

So far I am thinking DA with FPG with a group of 3 using 1 las and 2 grav with omniscope, and then a second group of three the exact same using Tiggy and divination for the invul.   This would only be for 2000+ point games though, in smaller I totally agree that 3 is probably already enough points spend on one slot.

If you really want to make a Deathstar out of them you could try something I'm trying to set up for an eventual Siege Vanguard List. (Around 3k points or so)

Land Raider Spartan, 6 Assault Centurions with Meltas, Tyberos, ML2 Librarian. Chapter tactics Carcharodons.

I mean if your going to go with a deathstar go with something that'll literally rip apart everything it touches. Plus with a Land Raider Spartan you can actually transport all 6 of them and the two HQs.

The way that I typically run them is:

Tigurius

3 Centurions w/ Grav-cannons and Grav-amps & bolters

With Tigurius' re-rolls on powers and his use of DIvination, you can usually get at least 2 of these three powers:

- Re-roll to hits

- 4+ invuln

- Ignores cover

If you can manage to get the 'Holy Trinity', there is nothing that can stand in their way and they have very high survivability. I have had success even when playing against lighter armies like Eldar, Tau, and Necrons. Every army has something with the 3+ armor and, the bonus, those squads are usually some of the more important or deadly.

Now, obviously, you can't win a game with just this squad, so it isn't a true deathstar, but it makes a great core to your army as it will both absorb a lot of hits AND delete squads.

The way that I typically run them is:

Tigurius

3 Centurions w/ Grav-cannons and Grav-amps & bolters

With Tigurius' re-rolls on powers and his use of DIvination, you can usually get at least 2 of these three powers:

- Re-roll to hits

- 4+ invuln

- Ignores cover

If you can manage to get the 'Holy Trinity', there is nothing that can stand in their way and they have very high survivability. I have had success even when playing against lighter armies like Eldar, Tau, and Necrons. Every army has something with the 3+ armor and, the bonus, those squads are usually some of the more important or deadly.

Now, obviously, you can't win a game with just this squad, so it isn't a true deathstar, but it makes a great core to your army as it will both absorb a lot of hits AND delete squads.

Add in 3 more Centurions and a second Librarian running Biomancy powers in hopes of landing Endurance and you would have a deathstar. Thinking about it that would be a squad who's only counter would be multiple Vindicators used in unison. Basically the same way 95% of Death stars are countered.

Iron Arm could be entertaining too adding eternal warrior and extra toughness.   Does iron arm affect the squad or just the psyker?

Just the Psyker, but then you could just have him tank up front and if it's not instant death he can just pass it to the guy behind him. Also with majority toughness 5 the squad can stand up to small arms fire quite well. Especially if you roll endurance. FNP and IWND.

A plasma syphon in with them would provide a measure of protection against rapid firing plasma guns.  Plus, it's a cheap means of getting some Divination rolls in there coughPresciencecough if you're running all grav cannons for the twin-linkage.

Don't forget that grav centurions need a delivery mechanism. They are scary and will draw a lot of fire if footslogging to position, and Tigurius cannot save them from drowning in a bucket of dice.

The cost of a land raider on a stormraven can push the costs quite a bit.

They don't need a transport, and if you run 6 of them with an attached character the only vehicle big enough outside of apoc is the Land Raider Spartan.

So then you'll hang 6 or 12 wounds without an invul save out there to get shot up while they get in position? 30 inches is not that far. Given how many armies these days have straight-up rending, kinda-sorta-rending-but-we-don't-call-it-rending, just your regular AP2 in template format, and finally plain old massed fire, they won't get too far without getting torn to shreds. Hell, a couple Fire Warrior squads can probably whittle them down from 30 inches away.

2+ and T5 don't count for much these days. There are no more wound shenanigans, and plenty of things that can hurt the centurions from longer than 30 inches away.

So then you'll hang 6 or 12 wounds without an invul save out there to get shot up while they get in position? 30 inches is not that far. Given how many armies these days have straight-up rending, kinda-sorta-rending-but-we-don't-call-it-rending, just your regular AP2 in template format, and finally plain old massed fire, they won't get too far without getting torn to shreds. Hell, a couple Fire Warrior squads can probably whittle them down from 30 inches away.

2+ and T5 don't count for much these days. There are no more wound shenanigans, and plenty of things that can hurt the centurions from longer than 30 inches away.

Yeah but if you don't have a Land Raider Spartan where are you going to cram them? Your best bet would be to get a Hereticus Inquisitor with the book for scout on turn one (Either extra move or outflank) and a pair of librarians with various powers, maybe Tigarius. Get Biomancy and Divination powers and they become a lot tougher than normal.

you mean ghetto rending? And true that

I was thinking of an inquisitor attached with a standard biomancy libby as well.  The idea of having precience with the funky wargear of the inquisitors along with biomancy for some tougness upgrades coudl be pretty awesome.   Since you can ally in an inquisitorial detachment on TOP of an allied detachment, I think something like this :

Imperial Fists Centurions (4-6 of them)

- 1x with Lascannon, missiles and Omniscope (to split fire at longer range targets)

- the rest with grav and hurricanes

- Librarian with Biomancy and TDA

- Allied Dark Angels Libby with TDA and Telepathy or Telekinesis and Power Field Generator

- Inquisitor with mastery level 1 and divination in artificer armour and some more toys!

Not sure if this build is actually even possible (at work and dont have the codex at hand) or how much it would cost but DAMN!

Stick 5 centurions + a combat HQ in a land raider crusader. Rush forward and pray your LR doesn't get owned/immobilized before centurions are in charge range. Support the LR with a couple mechanized tactical squads with flamers & combiflamers (so they can soften up hordes somewhat) + maybe a couple vindicators to draw fire away from the LR. Murder stuff. 

Not exactly rocket science. 

(we're talking assault centurions here, I assume)

Stick 5 centurions + a combat HQ in a land raider crusader. Rush forward and pray your LR doesn't get owned/immobilized before centurions are in charge range. Support the LR with a couple mechanized tactical squads with flamers & combiflamers (so they can soften up hordes somewhat) + maybe a couple vindicators to draw fire away from the LR. Murder stuff. 

Not exactly rocket science. 

(we're talking assault centurions here, I assume)

Land Raider Spartan and you can take 6, and still have 7 spots in the vehicle for whatever HQs you want. Probably a chaplain and a beat stick captain or chapter master with shield eternal.

Archived