Codex: Inquisition

Vlk

I am with Maverick on this one. 10k years is a long time and there were plenty of =I= and SW partnerships that didn't go down the tubes.

I am excited to see some new tactical opportunities.  Especially air options.  I wish they gave the option of the vendetta as well.  I will settle for the Valkyrie.  But is it actually a decent anti air option? One lascannon at BS3 isnt that great.  Maybe play it more as a anti infantry flier to make your opponents fliers focus on it?  And if we ever get plastic long-coat models I will probably make a Armageddon detachment.

It gives us something to consider before we get a new codex.

Fluff wise I am sure that the Great Wolf is on amicable terms with some Inquisitors.  Not every one of them was as stupid as Kysnaros.  And when stuff hits the fan, we will fight with the inquisitors over the alternative.  

I am excited to see some new tactical opportunities.  Especially air options.  I wish they gave the option of the vendetta as well.  I will settle for the Valkyrie.  But is it actually a decent anti air option? One lascannon at BS3 isnt that great.

do you actually find a dedicated anti-tank loadout fitting for a personal transport of an inquisitor? vendettas aren't even a dedicated transport for elysian troops....

the valkyrie however offers everything an inquisitor could possibly dream of:

-easy transportation; not alone does it have a large cargo room, it also has the advantage of being a skimmer/flyer and is even able to make it off planets into open space! (a usefull option should you feel the urge/need to flee away from troubles!)

-optional anti-tank weapons: a lascannon and 4 hellstrike missiles. this should be enough to allow an inquisitor and his retinue to deal with any armour they come across, which by nature of their dealings is rather limited.

-crowd control: 2 heavy bolters should be able to disperse and angry mob/take the mob out. if insufficient and crowd control troubles are expexted; upgrade the hellstrike missiles into multiple rocket pods.

basicly it offers anything an inquisitor needs and might possibly need(fluffwise). if 1 lascannon (and all the possible antitank weapons he's got on board of that valkyrie, like a servitor with a multimelta firing from the opened sides/rear...) won't be enough to deal with it  there's a big chance he's not done his job properly and asked for reinforcements fast enough...

As for tactics, what do you all think of a group of 15 blood claws, either a wolf priest with runic or kitted out wolf lord, and a group of inquisitorial troops with two priests, inquisitor with hammer hand and rad grenades? A huge group, challenges are brutal against the foe with rerollables, smash or both. Sounds brutal to me in close combat, but will it be able to stand up to the challenges it needs to for its cost?

Got to play two games this weekend with an inquisitorial detachment at 1850. I liked what I saw so far.

I play 3 GH units in rhinos, 2 long fang units with razorbacks, a predator, a rune priest.  Plus Coteaz, generic inquisitor, valkyrie dropping 3 crusaders and 3 acolytes with flamers. Aegis defense line too.

This was versus a very competitive player. First game was vs orks, and it wasn't a good matchup, but my henchman squad cleaned up 3 remaining nob bikers.  

Second game I played versus eldar and was able to backfield harass with that unit.  4 waveserpents, 2 wraithknights, swooping hawks, spiders, artillery, jetbikes.  Only lost due to not killing guardian bikers and game ending turn 5.  Good experience, I have not been playing many games since starting professional school so I was rusty but I felt the inquisitorial detachment helped with what I typically struggle with, which is backfield harassment.  And Prescience flying around everywhere helped even the playing field.

Another thing that I think the valkyrie will help with is vs flying monstrous creatures.  Forcing a grounding test is crucial because I dont have a large volume of fire to waste trying to ground it.

Coteaz and the other inquisitor were each with a long fang unit.  There was a situation where Coteaz stopped some Spiders from deepstriking nearby.  So that probably saved the unit.  I was lucky in both matches rolling the ignore cover psychic power for coteaz.

I tried to keep my previous post in regards to the performance of the Inq detachment.  I lost to the Orks too. But I played a lot better the second game.

It wasn't really a substitute for IG as the inquisitors were giving me prescience (something IG couldnt do).  And I liked the crusaders and acolyte combo.

My list wasn't especially fluffy but I tried to make it as competitive as possible and to try out the new possibilities.

Only a single wg per unit or an HQ.

Not quite you can have an independent character and a wgpl in a squad as the wgpl becomes part of the squad and is not an ic

Just for clarity and correctness, there is no limit to the number of Independent Characters that can attach to a single unit.

Archived