Building a multi-part sisters of battle kit

Smurfben

Thanks guys for your great comments as usual :) I'm glad you think they're well proportioned, the 'girls in a suit' feel is exactly what I am going for! It can be hard to get it right sometimes though, especially with the 25mm heads I'm using

• 4 weeks later...

Good morning ladies and gentlemen and welcome to another installment of my very own sisters of battle project!

So the Student Nationals came and went and we, the Leicester Sabres team, did an extremely good job of organising the whole event! My team,
the wargames team, were especially good and ensured that the 5 wargames tournaments we were running were a great success! With it over, however,
I've had a bit of free time to indulge my own painting and modeling whims!!

With that I give you my own scratch built version of the Repressor. It's build from an Immolator chassis and plastic-card. I also added a Forge World dozerblade to the front as I wasn't all that confident that I could create my own and have it look good! As always, your comments are extremely useful to me so please give them :)

Scratch built Repressor 2

Scratch built Repressor 5

Scratch built Repressor 3

wow thanks guys! Very kind words indeed, I'm glad people are generally liking the Immolator build :) I'm hoping to get some paint on it tomorrow, although I am half way through painting the canoness so maybe I'll finish her off first :p

Knight of the Raven: I see what you mean about the turret. It doesn't look so bad in real-life but now I can help noticing it! It is quite tall. I'll see if I can remedy this :)

Wow, very impressive.  Now I really don't have any excuse not to add a Temple Guards ally to my Word Bearers warhost, just need to buckle down and convert. 

On the subject of backpacks, Anvil Industries makes a "compact fusion pack" that is explicitly stated to be guardsman sized that you might be able to use (it's what I'll be doing, with some Chaosification thrown in, of course). 

ChromeZephyr: Thank you so much for your backpack suggestion!! I will certainly be buying some of those very soon just to see if they'll do the trick! If you point me in the direction of your wordbearers project, I'd be delighted to have a look :)

In other news, I've had a fantastic day today! I got up nice and early to pop into work only to find that the University was still closed for Easter! Hurrah for unexpected holidays!! So after feeding my ants (PhD student you see) I came home for a bacon cob, the world snooker championships and a full day of painting!!!

So without further-ado, I'm very pleased to present Canoness Suzanné of the Order of the Turquoise Lilly...

Canoness 2

Canoness 3

Canoness 5

I am very pleased with how this model turned out in the end. The photos sadly don't do her justice as the robes have been painstakingly wet blended and there are several other painting details that pop in reality but that's an android for you :p

She's not without her hair details either, a running feature of many of my sisters. Suzanné sports a blush-pink hair-bow, which I feel offsets the blue and silver scheme as a useful spot colour. It's also my fiancee's favourite and she has many bows in this colour of her own :p Luckily for me, she doesn't own a plasma pistol or a chainsword!

Canoness 4

That's awesome got some great movement in that model and love the colour scheme very good colour choice though I may have said that already. (at work 9 hours into a 12 hour shift XD brains a feeling the strain already...)

• 2 weeks later...

Heya guys and girls! I thought I had better check in just to prove that the thread isn't dead :) Last week I played a sisters of battle player from the sisters forum, Namine, and he completely hosed my orks :/ Despite this disaster, it did highlight to me that the sisters still have some teeth and that lists are definitely viable which is good news :) Primarily, I'm creating this army for the modeling challenge but I do also enjoy winning from time to time :p A particular unit worthy of note where the Serephim! I think I'll have a crack at them once the repressor is finished :) Stay tuned folks!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there all, I have a quick couple of pictures to share regarding the progress of 4 more sisters :) As promised, some of these girls will have the sabbat pattern helm! I've been successful finally in reproducing some parts with milliput and a liquid bluestuff mold! Luckily, the sabbat helm is one of them :)

4 more sisters

I have also followed up on ChromeZephyr's suggestion of using the small power packs from anvil industries. I bought 5 to give them a go and they are perfectly sized! My only complains really are that they aren't very elegant and give over a very industrial feel, which goes ever so slightly against the aesthetic that I've been trying to achieve. I could add a fleur d'lys here and there to spruce them up a bit, which might give back some of the 'sisters' feel :) What do you think?

new backpack

Glad my suggestion was of some help, but I agree that it does look a little off.  I would almost say that you should rotate it 90º clockwise, it looks a little squat right now.  Perhaps shave off a couple of the rivets in between, space them out more?  Some decoration is almost required, this is the Ecclisiarchy we're talking about here.

• 1 month later...

Hiya all, just a quick post to say I'm still working on this project it is NOT dead :p I'm just in my final PhD year now and things are getting very busy. I'll be posting up my progress within the next few weeks :)

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw this thread and wow. My only critique is a small one, and one that I think could be fixed via painting, some of the sister's heads look to clean/bright. A small fleur de lis tattoo or a scar here or there would fix that I think though. Such great work, although I really hope when you have the resources you go back and try to cast these again. Or maybe gw will just contact you once you have finished the entire range and ask to cast themmsn-wink.gif.

GW sending a legal death brigade if Smurfben ever tries to commercialize them is much more likely. I don't know how Raging Heroes plans to avoid retribution... at least in a way that doesn't involve the right to make sisters of battle being taken from GW.

I don't like that backpack, perhaps because it's asymetrical, or maybe because it doesn't hold a candle to the official spiked studded gothic one. It's something I expect an overindustrialized stormtrooper to carry, as you mentioned. It's basically a big power plant cylinder taped to her back.

Archived