Peri-heresy Word bearers log

Daevyll

This new army came about from a combination of things I like. The Word Bearers backstory, the heresy series in general, and Mk VI armour.

Therefore I decided to make a fluffy Word Bearers army, situated sometine during the Heresy after Calth.

I chose the army to have a predominantly grey color scheme but with one shoulder guard in crimson, the color the entire Legion would eventually adopt.

Another choice was to use a dusty, dry environment for basing to match with their Colchisian background.

The army is planned to be lead by a combination of Coryphaeus (Chaos Lord) and a Dark Apostle. It will include many cultists and Legionary infantry. I also like the look of the Cataphractii so will probably include those.

I always like to start an army with a regular rank and file testmodel, so here goes:

http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums/r722/Daevyll/16937580-a2ec-4bda-b10a-25e2536bb9c3_zpse58da3c8.jpg

He looks very cool ! I like the base and the weathered bottom of the miniature. The picture seems a bit foggy though. I also think that you can make him even cooler by adding some highlights to the armor. Maybe a bit of edge highlighting.

He looks very cool ! I like the base and the weathered bottom of the miniature. The picture seems a bit foggy though. I also think that you can make him even cooler by adding some highlights to the armor. Maybe a bit of edge highlighting.

Thanks batu. Sorry for the image quality, I'm severely limited in both my photography skills and equipment.

The model is highlighted using gradients in undercoat and overcoat with an airbrush, which is not as easy to spot in (especially my crappy) images (I think it is easiest to see at the helmet). I'm not a big fan of the style of edge highlighting that GW use. While dramatic on the tabletop I prefer a more natural look. But to each his own.

looks good, but at calth they had already changed to the crimson scheme, i panted mine the same was as you until someone pointed it out to me, in a rather snotty 'i know everything' kinda way. but there your minis so paint them whatever way you want, they still look good regardless. 

could do 'pre colour change', after they turn their backs on the emperor but they are still 'loyal', throw in some chaotic goodness into the mix but the powers tat be are still none the wiser ;)

Some more pics, just finished a Rhino (maybe a few touch ups left to do)  and two more tacticals

http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums/r722/Daevyll/59f96d66-134b-4a1a-9a03-b4d39c1b7a03_zpsa21e7ffa.jpg

http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums/r722/Daevyll/4E9F1F82-35A2-4A9A-9094-E8856A0B62F6_zpsyife6gj5.jpg

Incidentlly, the base color I use is Barley Grey from Vallejo, whih has a very slight blue tinge. The effect is somehow exaggerated in the images no doubt to my lack of photography skills.

looks good, but at calth they had already changed to the crimson scheme, i panted mine the same was as you until someone pointed it out to me, in a rather snotty 'i know everything' kinda way.

That someone was not quite correct, so feel free to snottily reply to him that he is wrong smile.png

On page 142 of the Massacre book it states that 'after the Word Bearers revealed their true nature at Isstvan V, the crimson of the Gal Vorbak spread to the rest of the legion in fits and starts'. Massacre also places the start of the muster at Calth a year before Isstvan V.

Since Calth takes places more or less at the same time as the dropsite massacre (since the Ultramarines had no suspicion of the Word Bearers as they arrived at Calth), it is safe to assume that by that time there were chapters wearing the crimson (ie those actually at Calth, which was a suicide mission) and chapters still wearing the old grey panoply.

How long this lasted is anyone's guess, 'fits and starts' can mean centuries or millenia in the 40k universe. Part of the vagueness I love about the setting, as it gives plenty of scope for your own imaginings.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived