Metallic Chaos Marines (Updated)

feuer_faust

Howdy! I've been trying to make this tpoic all weekend, but I cannot copy+paste in IE on BnC specifically, and the image option just doesn't seem to work even in Firfox. I'm hoping that linking this from my gallery will work. Here's a paint scheme for chaos:

CSM test 1

It is Vallejo Model Color Gunmetal Blue and Vallejo Game Color Glorious Gold. Very Tzeentchy, and the only downsiode is if I choose not to play Tzeentch, I'll have to spend half an hour explaining that Tzeentch isn't the only person with a monopoly on one of the primary colors. I'm also considering trying an inversion of scheme: gold as the base color with metallic blue for trim... but I'm not sure. Early prototyping in Dawn of War Retribution's painter are not that promising...

As a note, I need to make the red eyes, jewel, and tabard brighter... maybe a foundation of white then painting it red?

Not every red Chaos marine belongs to Khorne or green to Nurgle. End of the day, it's your army.

As for the VMC gun metal blue...looks good (but I use it as a base for some metal areas as its a nice colour).

Click the image to embiggen it!

CSM Test 2

This is the inverse of the scheme, and it turned out surprisingly well. I cannot decide which of the two I like the best, and since this guy is the Expiring Champion, I may just do characters in gold and everyone else in blue. Who knows!

That's a great colour combo. Just a question. Did you find it difficult working with the metallics? I try to use them as little as possible because they dry and clump so bad on me.

And what way did you base coat and highlight?

Forte: I agree, the blue metal was lucky find when I was just trying to restock by boltgun metal supply. I really like the color. :D

Aklas: Yeah, that's what I like about the gold armor. It's like Chaos' version of Imperial Fists sort of...

Plague: Do the metallic not work out for you on the palette, or where? I know that over time they kind of solidify (years) and I may need to get a new mithril silver soon due to that.

The process is: VMC Gunmetal Blue, GW Ahriman Blue Wash (probably something different now), then a mix of Gunmetal Blue/Mithril silver with selective drybrushing.

For the gold, it's currently GW Dwarf bronze (Again changed I'm sure), GW Gryphonne Sepia wash, and a selective drybrush of VGC Glorious Gold. I have Tamiya Spray paint gold (I'll get the TS number later) that I might substitute for the dwarf bronze as a base if I go with the gold, as it were...

Well, you might try a wet palette. It involves paper towels and wax paper I think, and keeps paint wet on your palette for a long time. In Colorado, it's very dry and stuff dries out on my palette quickly without one, and in general I'm using less GW and more Reaper/Vallejo paints since they seem to be a bit wetter in general and the dropper bottles are very convenient. :)

Archived