Making Berzerkers/MoK work in 7th

Dragonlover

I'd gotten First Blood on his Allied BA Chaplin and Death Company.  I hate that I can't upgrade them-but it's frankly is just a waste points.

The Swooping hawks dropped a handful of dice on one (1) five man squad of beserkers.  If that'd been a 8 or 10 man squad...well, they may have killed more than 3.

Fearless was the biggest thing here.

Yeah its a neat idea. Not going to fit most likely in my rebuild (6th chaos army...I cant quit you baby!!!) then again, its only 110 points.

On the other hand, you cant take cults as allied troops. /shoots random passer by.

Yeah its a neat idea. Not going to fit most likely in my rebuild (6th chaos army...I cant quit you baby!!!) then again, its only 110 points.

On the other hand, you cant take cults as allied troops. /shoots random passer by.

Yeah, isn't that some bull:cuss?

"I love Those Gorilla Fisted, bunny eared space marines with Chain Axes, I want to add them as allies to my army that can have chaos allies!"

GW:  "Well actually, you can't...because Reasons."

"But...But why? *Cries*"

If they were afraid of the 'power' of 2 cult troops as allies.  You can take 2 Crisis Suit units as troops for allies and a Riptide, and broadsides AND Hazard suits (forgeworld XV9s fast attack suits-nasty bastards).

I have had some luck in my current fluff meta lately (sorta tournaments).  Armor 14 Vehicles are beasts right now, so running two zerker squads in them with Dirge casters and dozer blade has won me some games. Granted the current meta hates none turkey lists, but land raiders and MC's(with MOK of Fluffy course) has won me most games.....

P.S...   You play the mission, Khorne cares not where the blood flows....

So, I finally got around to writing the 'Use Berzerkers as Chosen' list. I've not used it yet as I literally just finished it, but I'd appreciate some eyes on it. It's from the BL book so I'll leave Vets off the list.

HQ

Chaos Lord, MoK, Fist+Claw, Bike, Sigil

Troops

10x Chosen, MoK, 2x Plasma Gun, 2x Melta Gun, Power Axe on Champion, Rhino with Dirge Caster.

2 more lots of the above unit

Fast Attack

4x Bikers, Power Axe on Champ, 2x Meltagun (Lord goes here), MoK

4x Chaos Spawn, MoK

Heavy Support

Defiler with extra CCW, Scourge, Dirge Casters

Defiler as above

Maulerfiend with Lasher Tendrils

Comes to 1990 points. Critique away!

Dragonlover

Not sure I like the Melta in there, how do you envision using the army as a whole? Rushing the walkers forward and shooting around the Chosen?

Lots of mech, but if you can add them, maybe a raptor melta squad or 2 if you drop the spawn, or Termicide x 2 actually may be a better delivery than the Chosen?

Just some thoughts, when I ran BL Chosen, the Plasma bit me in the ass as much as it helped. :]

I figured just rush everything forwards, use Spawn and Walkers to tie scary things up then unleash the Chosen on infantry. The bikes just hunt down stuff that wouldn't quite be worth hitting with a walker, but might hurt my Chosen. Or are a kind of roving response team

The melta/plasma combo on the Chosen was to make them reasonably versatile on the turn they jump out of the Rhino. I find with my AL the plasma bites me in the ass in waves. Like, I'll have a bunch of games where it's fine, then a few where it's shaky, then some where all my plasma dudes just melt at the drop of a hat. Then the cycle starts again.

That said, I may well try the Raptors, if only because I already have the models. Termicide has always bugged me as a concept, but I might give it a whirl. After all, I do the same thing with Obliterators in my AL.

Dragonlover

Yeah conceptually Termicide makes Khorne cry a bit on the inside, but cheap DS melta options are golden, then you could potentially drop the melta from your chosen so they are a bit more focused.

I have essentially gone back to just ignoring shooting and letting the chips fall where they will with the army I'm building now (Khorne Daemons/CSM), so take what I say with a bit of salt. :p

I mostly wrote the list as a response tothe sheer horror that greeted my footsloggers from certain quarters. I wanted to be able to do something relevant after getting out of the Rhino, basically, and I prefer a modicum of flexibility.

Of course, if the speculation is true and we're getting deep-striking Helbrutes, this is the first list I'm trying it in. And the Helfist Murderpack. Because come on, with that name how can I not?

Dragonlover

Yeah, I'm partial to the DS bomb of Helbrutes. Drop that in turn 2 to follow the charging Bloodcrushers, Bloodthirster, and Axe Juggerlord? Just lol.

I think filling in a few DS options for the melta could help.

List looks good to me!

almost identical to similar lists I am just finishing painting for the blood god too.

I went with a Jugger lord to run with the spawn though and no bikers.

Plus for some reason I can't bring myself to mix special weapons in my Chosen squads, so I take two units with 3 plasma and one with 3 melt generally.

Also very much awaiting the Helbrute dataslate to see how it works. I just wanna deep strike all CC dreads purely for the love of Khorne.

Hmm.  Would that mean that the Beserkers cause fear?  And I could get my Khornate Sorcerer (Sorcerer with the horns-yeah heresy and all that noise, say that when my ML3 pyromancer is going all KAIO-KEN TIMES 10! and charging a STC Chaptermaster and taking the Quickening from his Eternal ass.  You really should get 2x Victory points for killing an Eternal Warrior in close combat with a Not Eternal Warrior character)

Yeah, I can see the appeal...you can get multiple Power Weapons, more attacks than a Beserker and you still have Bolters for moving up the table.

Heck, if they just had fearless and inbuilt furious charge-they'd be better than Beserkers.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm plotting to make a combined Khorne with supporting Nurgle list simply because I don't believe my friends will ever get around to mailing my belongings back from half the country away.

In any event this is a silly, sad contingency, but at the same time, frees me to start a new army altogether.  For some reason, I want plasma pistols on zerkers with a supporting unit of csm with an auto cannon.  A Helcult with ranged emphasis but bare cultists, and your standard Lord of Awesome on the :cussyeahnaut.  Kinda sad to have Obliterators, but I need ranged and it's either them or a Las pred, and obviously I have a Heldrake.  Chaos Spawn for soaking, and the Obliterators and Spawn count as the Nurgle support. 

HQ

Chaos Lord - MoK, Axe of Blind Fury, Sigil, Juggernaut 170

Troops

7x Berzerkers - 2x Plasma Pistols, Champ w/ Melta Bombs, Rhino, Vets 208
7x Berzerkers - 2x Plasma Pistols, Champ w/ Melta Bombs, Rhino, Vets 208
10x CSM - Plasma Rifle, Autocannon, Rhino, 200

Fast Attack

Baledrake 170
4x Chaos Spawn - 4x MoN 144

Heavy Support

2x Obliterators - 2x MoN 152

Helcult

10x Cultists 50
10x Cultists 50
Helbrute - TLLC/ML  135

You won't be able to run your jugger lord with the spawn if they have a different mark however.

This will mean your lord runs up the board alone...

Spawn were meant to engage an enemy target before the Lord got to them, draw fire and take wounds.  Although I see what you're saying now.

• 2 months later...

Op, I'm bumping so you can edit the topic for a 7th roll. We can avoid having new topics and assimilate the old data. Hopefully finding a use for Berzerkers.

Title has been updated.

Khorne is pleased.

Mark of Khorne/Khorne beserkers and assault (and chaos) in general as a top tier competitive choice...well, I read a really interesting article that kinda showed that I was "doing it wrong" (40k) by a lot, though I unconsciously "did it right" with my Grey Knights-and now with my Tau, and very soon...once again with Chaos.

I'm going with World Eaters...led by Khârn (or more accurately, 'guys following Khârn' knowing he goes to the thickest, best fighting), though I'm going to use the CS Supplement until/unless a better one comes out.

Couple things I've noticed:

If you put too many points into excessive upgrades (chainaxes, ultra blinged out chosen and Champs) you aren't going to have the bodies to punch the badguys in the face.  You got to accept you're going to lose men going in.  You got to accept you aren't going to be able to effect much shooting until you hit 12" and closer.

The new challenge rules/fix help us against singular characters or Monstrous Creature Characters-they can't just dodge the bucket of Hate Dice coming their way because we have to challenge anymore.

Fast units can tie up stuff that's not worth fighting.

Hehe someone has been listening to Fritz40k ;) who has some really solid advice when comes to assault armies. I will borrow his term, "critical mass", an assault army has to build mass and momentum with bodies and sheer aggression, forcing several waves of units against the enemy lines.

Truth be told I am very tempted to try a Berzerkers list, perhaps a combination of zerkers, maulerfiends and the Mayhem Pack for the sheer aggression of it. 

Archived