Scars by Chris Wraight

cjp180

I guess I just see Bolters as being mundane at this point. As less...than the stomp of a titan, the blows of another Primarch, the blast of a titan grade weapon, and so on.

Craters in flesh...its but a flesh wound! :D

Lorgar (in his war plate, mind you!) got his entire hand blown off by one of Vorias's coven shooting him with a bolter in Betrayer.

I think some posters are selling the fully automatic rocket propelled grenade launchers the Emperor gave his soldiers as a standard issue infantry weapon because :cuss subtlety very, very, VERY short.

I don't understand the problem- wasn't Horus almost assassinated by a simple sniper shot? And Kurze was killed by an assasin's blade. The Emp vs a big ork. I don't fully know the ins and outs of the power scale but there does appear to be precedent for the Primarchs being vulnerable to a wide range of dangers. It may be similar to Achilles in that a simple kill can be made through specific means even when bigger ones don't cause death.

I don't understand the problem- wasn't Horus almost assassinated by a simple sniper shot? And Kurze was killed by an assasin's blade. The Emp vs a big ork. I don't fully know the ins and outs of the power scale but there does appear to be precedent for the Primarchs being vulnerable to a wide range of dangers. It may be similar to Achilles in that a simple kill can be made through specific means even when bigger ones don't cause death.

I think it has to do with no other primarch has looked this bad against Astartes

Could imagine the uproar if Leman Russ was put into the hospital by 10 marines? 

I'd probably be able to die happy just from the nuclear fallout actually.

Now that I've thought about it actually, its not even the risk Rob faces. Its the hospital time. It offends me that a Primarch could be laid out at all (Sangy as well now that I think about it, but that was against a Bloodthirster and was canon so my mind gave it a pass.)

Horus is never anywhere near that sniper shot. It kills a Marine standing in for him, but we can't say for sure how much damage it would have done to the actual Warmaster. Curze let the assassin kill him, and it is never actually seen. For all we know he could have got down on his knees and drawn her a diagram of where best to strike.

Lets be fair, Primarch power levels are all over the place in that book. The amount of times Vulkan is easily killed is insane, and the reason why I didn't like Vulkan Lives or the whole "Vulkan the Immortal" plotline. I'm not going to start on Super Curze here but... yeah. The more I think about it the more UE goes down in my estimations.

Ah, yes, Vulkan.

The one Primarch who can be killed by being stabbed in the chest with a fork!

Vulkan Lives was such a misleading title...it's like if ADB had called Betrayer "Angron's Happy Funtime Magical Unicorn Adventure".

There is nothing, and I mean :cussing NOTHING on this forum as tedious as the whinging and circular thread derails that are the Guilliman vs Alpha Legion squad arguments.

What on Earth can any of us possibly have to say about that scene any more? We've argued about it at nauseating length for a year now.

Some of us think it was reasonable in context. Some think it was ridiculous. It's a minor side plot in one novel. It doesn't ultimately make any difference to the course of the story.

LET IT GO. For the love of the Emperor/Dark Pantheon.

/end rant

There is nothing, and I mean :cussing NOTHING on this forum as tedious as the whinging and circular thread derails that are the Guilliman vs Alpha Legion squad arguments.

What on Earth can any of us possibly have to say about that scene any more? We've argued about it at nauseating length for a year now.

Some of us think it was reasonable in context. Some think it was ridiculous. It's a minor side plot in one novel. It doesn't ultimately make any difference to the course of the story.

/end rant

This is nothing compared to the amount of "Wolves are Executioners" derails, or "Which Legion/Marine/Primarch is the best".

I recall Corax took a las cannon to his flesh in Ravensflight...could someone confirm if this (or something similar) happens in Ravenslfight

He takes a hit to his armour which turns "his chestplate to semi molten slurry".

IIRC.

Ah, yes, Vulkan.

The one Primarch who can be killed by being stabbed in the chest with a fork!

Vulkan Lives was such a misleading title...it's like if ADB had called Betrayer "Angron's Happy Funtime Magical Unicorn Adventure".

I'd totally read "Angron's Happy Funtime Magical Unicorn Adventure"

WLK

/end rant

You could always, y'know, not read the complaints.  

I loved Scars, surely in top 5 when it comes to The HH and Cris Wraight anchored himself as my favorite BL author after ADB. I wish Dan Abnett could produce something close to Horus Rising, his HH entries have been so weak compared to it. But sadly he gets away with anything tongue.png. Even overtaking Mr McNeil when it comes to pure bizarro mode.

My biggest problem with Abnett is how his delivery of 40K is just straight up weak (not always), sure his technical ability is great but writers like ADB and Cris deliver the real 40K imo.

Just my personal feelings.

[sorry for being a censored.gif ]

My biggest problem with Abnett is how his delivery of 40K is just straight up weak (not always), sure his technical ability is great but writers like ADB and Cris deliver the real 40K imo.

Dan's stuff sometimes reads more like generic military sci-fi than it does like "40K". I think it's because he writes so much stuff...he isn't limited to Black Library and it kinda shows in his 40K works

I think that's an over-generalisation of Abnett' work. His Eisenhorn and Ravenor stories, for instance, virtually defined or redefined large chunks of the setting.

Abnett on his worst day still beats most BL authours by a country mile. I'm looking at you Swallow. I have nothing against Jimmy Boy personally...but Fear to Tread, dear me was that disappointing. I almost couldn't finish it despite being a huge BA fan

No doubt in my mind that Chris and Aaron are the best writers for the setting. I can be almost certain that when I pick up one of their stories it will be good and there'll be little I'll quibble over. McNeill and Abnett produce some great stories but I normally have some reservations. Know No Fear and A thousand Sons are near perfect though.

In terms of Primarch's resilience I see their mindset at the time as directly affecting it. I imagine their abilities, especially their toughness and durability to be something they unconsciously alter. When fired up and in battle they are sometimes almost indestructible, shrugging off what could be terrible wounds and recovering quickly. When unprepared/ surprised / shocked or mentally drained they can be hurt by more mundane weapons. Case in point in Betrayer-Roboute takes Illuminarium to the head (a blow that could destroy a dreadnought) without too much consequence. In UE when surprised, bolters injure him badly and he recognises a hit to the head could kill him. It's also how I make sense of the frankly terrible scenes with Curze running around Macragge and Vulkan dying easily. Vulkan's mental state was altered so almost wasn't able to 'will himself' tougher. How else can you explain a fall of 40 odd metres shattering a primarch like a pumpkin when marines drop 20 or 30 metres all the time with almost no damage.

Case in point in Betrayer-Roboute takes Illuminarium to the head

Interesting theory

...I don't remember Bobby tanking Lorgar's crozius to his head though. I mean...it sounds a bit comical.

Pretty sure he does. Cracks his skull if I remember correctly. THWUNK

Archived