2014 For the Sororitas

tjdudey

Oh, sorry! Didn't mean to make that mistake. Just meant reproducing the detail of small bits is pretty much impossible with current 3D printing technology. (At least at the 500-1000 dollar range). That's the only example I could come up with fast smile.png.

If you want to print a mount for a turret or something, that's pretty easy though.

Example

http://www.3dluvr.com/crossbow/warhammer/turret.jpg

Just meant reproducing the detail of small bits is pretty much impossible with current 3D printing technology.

Really, and here I thought, depending on the technologies used, it just tended to take longer.

According to the spec's published for the machine you claim to have it is "Able to print .4mm, .3mm, .2mm, .1mm". Just how fine are the details on a sister? A hundred micrometers is pretty small. Could you do better by fine tuning your calibration and lowing your deposition rate?

Able to print, and "successfully" able to print are two completely different situations.

I am sure, in a completely temperature and humidity controlled environment, with a flawless machine, and a flawless calibration, you "might" get close to that.

I'm sure I'm not the best 3D printer guy. I'm just an IT guy trying to learn the technology for future use. So anything beyond basic technique and calibration is beyond me at this point.

It's hard to see how it could capture such tiny detail when the strands it produces are that size.

Here's an example in action. (About 14 hours)

http://www.3dluvr.com/crossbow/warhammer/cube1.jpg

http://www.3dluvr.com/crossbow/warhammer/cube2.jpg

I was further noodling across the solidoodling site through the spare parts bit and it talked about the 0.4mm nozzels available, that might be a source of constriant, but it's probably also down to somthing about the quality of the stepper motors, the position sensors, the injection pump, and such not.

It may also be a question of post-print processing and mixed methods manufacturing.

How big was that companion cube.

Also, you should start a new thread for us to chat about this in rather than having it nonsensically burried in the end of a prognostication thread.

Sure. The cube was palm sized bout 2.5^3 inches. The plate it's standing on is 8x8. Feel free to start another thread if you have more questions. I just didn't want to get peoples hopes up. The technology is still in its infancy...it will get better. (Keep in mind this was a 500 USD printer).

I'm not sure, we're treading dangerously close to recasting territory here.

Duely noted, but I recall from conversations over in PC&A that we've historically been allowed to discuss techniques in the context of making cool conversions as long as we don't cross over into wholesale reproduction. Or at least I think that's what the resolution on green-stuff molding finally shook out as.

Historically, copyright infringement with Gee-Dub has been slightly odd with their stance of encouraging the consumer to modify there figures. I think I recall official articles on how to reproduce details with greenstuff, but I wouldn't want to swear to it. It might be similar to the 'Chaotic Evil Space Super Soldiers' by Evil Craft on other areas of the forum.

What would be afoul, and likely civilly tortuous, is if I 3-D scanned some of my Sororita and printed straight and unmodified from a perhaps slightly retouched file.

The scanning alone is similar to a sophisticated photograph, perhaps with a stereo camera.

I would have questions about scanning say an Inferno Pistol, digitally manipulating it to a mirror image, and creating an oposite hand object for a Seraphim conversion.

I think this might be a slightly creepier forum if you print sisters nearly life sized.

I think I'll need to try to sell this idea to the manager of my local hobby shop, although it might turn into a 'conversion kit' for an existing manaquin. She could take a place of honour next to Darth Vader.

Well, I didn't say we were there yet, just... be careful, ne?

Oh, gods. Hypocritically, think of the cosplay applications of this. Although I suspect that scaling up the existing casts might reveal a set of somewhat glaring flaws.

Well, I didn't say we were there yet, just... be careful, ne?

Oh, gods. Hypocritically, think of the cosplay applications of this. Although I suspect that scaling up the existing casts might reveal a set of somewhat glaring flaws.

Aye, but I'm sure you could find yourself some skilled talent to enhance the external detail while you searched for existing ridgid garmets to get the interior profiles from.

>> They're Ecclesiarchy symbols, not Inquisition. The two are just irritatingly similar.

Almost all parts of the Imperium have symbols are based around the Imperial "I". People just seem to forget that and assume that the I is the symbol of the Inquisition.

EDIT: And after some information I got, I can safely say 2014 does not look like a good year for Sisters. Looks like 2015 at the earliest folks.

According to the second Arbites book, on a contract with a Rogue Trader the Emperor personally signed it's described as being 3 lines forming a large "I". So apparently that's how "he makes his mark".

Calling it now: If the Emperor becomes the next Chaos God, his Mark will be a large "I"! :P

Isn't that sweet. Fulkes, you've been given a choice, things are getting a bit soft for my taste. I remember fondly the days where that level of heresy would earn you an immediate strapping to the closest Pen Engine & dropped onto the nearest hive planet for 'recon' duties.

Isn't that sweet. Fulkes, you've been given a choice, things are getting a bit soft for my taste. I remember fondly the days where that level of heresy would earn you an immediate strapping to the closest Pen Engine & dropped onto the nearest hive planet for 'recon' duties.

(Shh. That's happening no matter which first option is chosen. <3 Don't spoil the surprise now.)

You say that like it's not the second half of the punishment.

Oh well, I'll get a massive robot body, buzzsaws for hands and fire from my fists. 

Or am I not supposed to enjoy it?

Archived