1000pt world eaters

Delvarus

hi all. long story short i moved to australia 2 years ago and sadly left a great group of guys behind i would play 40k with. since my time here i have progressively turned away from 40k and 30k is what floats my boat these days. as it happens im going back to the uk in may and have got into contact with the lads and issued a challenge of sorts to build and paint a 1000pt force each by may 30th, then we will have a campaign weekend with heaps of beer and pizza no doubt. we agreed on a 1000pts as it was a bit more realistic for me flying all that way and of course we dont have a great deal of time to be painting 40 tactical marines etc.

we also agreed the only mandatory selections for the weekend would be 1 hq and 1 troops choice as we all would like to see some legion specific units turn up like deathshroud etc.

my first army i came up with:

legion champion with power weapon, artificer armour and jump pack

10x assault squad with power weapon, plasma pistol, sarge with power weapon, plasma pistol, melta bomb and artificer armour

8x rampagers with heavy chainsword, meteor hammer, excoriator chainaxe, 2x twin fallax blades, sarge with power weapon and plasma pistol all with jump packs

3x legion jetbike squad with plasma cannon

clocks in at 935pts. what do you think? worried about facing armour or terminators to be honest. list is built with ease of transporting to uk and with the models i have to hand. but i do have a contemptor dread and autocannon h/ support squad as well as 10 tacticals at my disposal. should i swap somethings around.

That list looks fun to me. Capture's the World Eater theme of a charging mob quite well.

For the points you have left I would expand the assault squad and add in another power weapon.

Regarding terminators. First I would take power axes on the marines with power weapons for their armor penetrating ability. Second I would use the speed of the jump packs and jet bikes to gang up on one enemy unit at the time. With that amount of attacks saves will be failed.

And if there is a unit that you find to dangerous, use your mobility to ignore it. But If your lucky and brave you may get in some plasma blasts at the rear armor with those bikes.

Helpful? :)

very helpful indeed. glad im on the right track. expanding the assault squad sound like a good idea. opposed to expanding the rampagers as a voice in my head keeps telling me that 8 is a good number haha! i will let you know how it all goes but for now i better get me brushes out.

oh and the power weapons in this force will all be of the axe variety as will all chain weapons.

I do worry for you should you meet heavy armour, it could be a sticking point between that and shooty lists.

May I recommend you check out the 'Rites of Wars - Liber Victorum' section of the forums for Telhdrat's battle report post - Isstvan III campaign Game 2.  The report has mention of the units you are looking to employ and may help you in understanding some of the capabilities etc.

You've set yourself a nice challenge, I always think though that the army could use a centre piece model, contemptors are one of my favourite choices for small point armies in 30k.

thanks for directing me to that battle report, i found it very interesting and can see what you mean by struggling against heavy support elements. i have not had a chance to play 30k yet as no one round these parts are that interested. i really want to be fluffy and thats another reason i went for a fast assault style army. the other idea i had was basing an army around captain delvarus and the triarii. roughly would look like this:

centurion with meteor hammer and boarding shield

10x breacher squad with melta and graviton gun, sarge with thunder hammer

contemptor with melta

and the rampagers from my above post

have not got a point total but worked out pretty much the same when i was punching numbers last night. may even be able to squeeze h/ support squad in too.

Archived