Rai

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum.

I havent played WH40K for a LONG time, last I played I started with rogue trader, then came the all new 2nd edition and when 3rd edition came out with the dark eldar I gave it up and sold my Space Ork army. Life have taken its turns and I have returned to my home town. My childhood friends have recently picked up the hobby again and here I am starting an all new army. Of course I picked Imperial Guard, I dont have to explain why to you guys!

So now that we all are starting our armys basiclly from scratch we have a campaign set up to leran to play our armies, understand what we want to buy and inspire us to paint up the models we get. We will all play eachother at first 500 points, later expanding to 750 and 1000 (and probably go on upward from there)

The other races in the campaing are: Necron, Chaos Deamons, Grey Knights, Tau and possibly Orks. There are also already painted armies of Inquisitors, Space Wolves, chaos space marines and some other space marine chapter that can make apperances in the campaign.

So, I have to start with a 500 points list. At this point we have a special rule that we do not have to take an HQ (based on that the Grey Knights have a trouble getting a 500 p list together with an HQ). This is my list, I want to hear what you have to say about it and how you would play it. If you have comments on 750 or 1000 points I am open to those as well, but there will be a new codex before we get into that pointsrange.

Platoon Command Squad (PCS) - no wargear                                  30 p

Inf Sqd 1. Comissar - flamer                                                                  85 p

Inf Sqd 2. flamer                                                                                      55 p

Hwy Wpn Sqd - 3xautocannon                                                              75 p

Hwy Wpn Sqd - 3xmortar                                                                       60 p

Veteran Squad, 3xplasmagun, Grenadiers (4+ save), chimera      200 p

Need more Chimeras! laugh.png

My only idea for your 500 point list, looking at whom you'll be facing, is that beside the Orks, are you really going to be using those flamers to their best ability? Grenade Launchers would seem to be the best for the "all comers" list.

I cannot support this list... You have a distinct lack of anti-AV14. I'm not saying your friends will, but I think it is good to be prepared. I used to come up against Land Raiders, Blood Thirsters, and all sorts in 500pts.

I think that IG are pretty strong in 500pt games. You can easily stick in a decent tank and still out number most other armies.

Okey... Changing the flamers into grenadelaunchers is easy enough since they are the same points cost.

If I am to add a "decent" tank to this... Well something has to go! Where should I cut my points? What tank would you suggest? I would love to field the punisher with a lascannon but if it´s AV14 I am going for I guess there is a better fit for me.

Welcome to the B&C and Guard Rai! Perfect timing as we're running a painting competition for a single trooper, it's just started up and would be a great way for you to sort a your colour scheme out if you haven't already :D

The Commissar is a bit expensive for 500pts I think, his points could be better spent even if it's a few upgrades here and there. The PCS would benefit from something to make them more useful, perhaps a flamer or two there? You could drop the Mortars (useful, but maybe not so much at low points?) and along with the Commissar's points afford another Chimera.

Sentinels can be very effective too, nice and cheap not to mention outflanking on the Scouts and would help you fill the table with light armour.

platoon1 500p

Well it´s a start... I´ll exchange the flamers for grenadelaunchers. Dropping the Commissar too. And adding a flamer to the PCS. Still waiting on advise on what Russ to bring and some thoughts on what to drop to get the points for it.

That's more than a start, though it's hard to make out too much detail from that picture. Can you post some close ups?

If you want a Russ it is generally best to stick with the standard Battle Cannon one unless you have a specific role in mind. Model wise I strongly recommend magnetising the tank - it's very easy as the kit lends itself to magnetising nicely. I wouldn't consider taking a Russ until 750pts though.

Archived