Raven Guard Scout Modeling

ToyShip

Howdy gents, the time has come to finally begin work on my chosen army of the Raven Guard. I have decided that a good portion of my troops choices will be scouts, most likely with sniper rifles and obligatory camo cloaks. That all being said, and it has been hashed out ad nauseum on many a forum, I can't stand the current plastic scout heads. I'm looking for a suitable alternative to the stock heads that maintain the "look" I'm going for. What is the "look" you ask? Well feast your eyes:

468px RavenGuardScoutMarine

I really dig the pale skin and the bird skull on this guy.

20111214010901!RavenGuardScoutMarine

You can barely see it on his right shoulder, but thats what the squad markings will look like.

Any way, does anybody know of suitable alternatives? Or should I just try to get my hands on the much better looking old metals?

Thanks!

I think you've encountered my issue with the plastic heads too: they're just too big! The old metal models looked far better (to me).

I was about to link you to Anvil Industry's Black-Ops Exo-Lords, but it appears that all the heads they have with NV attachments are wearing helmets. sad.png

Try here (I'm using there heads on my scouts)

http://madrobotminiatures.com/zencart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=9_10

here an example with a boonie hat 

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l270/war009/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-03/D2D8C56E-FADA-4DEF-B20D-1B0684A1A03E_zpsgblpzwqa.jpg

Just for the record, sniper rifles are fun but ccw or bolter scouts with a flanking land speeder storm (or assaulting from it the first turn to support shrike-wing) are fun too smile.png

Also, mad robot's heads look great!, a lot better than scout heads...the aviator glasses ones with the cigar smoking guy is great smile.png...gonna get some right now!

The new scion heads look nice too, and the scale might be better too.

I'll be honest, I don't think the scout heads are bad, and I haven't found them too big either.  Somehow the GW stock examples look AWFUL, but that's mostly on the paint job.  That's just my opinion, of course, but I'd suggest experimenting with how your paint the heads before looking for alternatives, because you might be pleasantly surprised with the results you can achieve.  :)

That being said, have you seen the scout bike heads?  There's a cool re-breather head in that kit, you might look at picking up some of those bits.

http://fromthewarp.blogspot.com/2009/11/painting-lessons-raven-guard-scout.html

Agreed, I've used scout bike and LSS components on my scouts.

Bolter Scout Sgt

I've also converyed some old Advanced Space Crusade scouts to use as fresh neophytes.

Scout 3

The heads with NV goggles are mostly clear of the Jay Leno meets Desperate Dan jaw syndrome, for the other scouts, I went with:

-thunderwolf cavalry heads, the less hirsute ones go well

-classic deathwatch metal sprue head, by far the best fit

-classic assault sergeant 'mohawk head', good fit.

-sternguard heads (requires some effort)

Though I also used some of the basic set heads, for variety

I know some find an issue of scale with the marines heads, but after putting together 20+ scouts, I came to realise that it is the stance that carries the model, rather than the scale, on some postures a marine's head works wonders, so it is a matter of doing dry runs until it finally looks good. I dont like barehead marines and RG sergeant really stand out with a helmet on, so had plenty of spare heads.

One thing I've seen used that you may want to consider is the Dark Eldar's beaky scourge unit's helms, it takes a bit of converting but they make for a nice avian and predatory-like scout for RG.

@Shrieker

+1000 to the pose being more important than scale.  

As a general principle, if a model is badly posed, it will look out of proportion and just awkward.  If you focus on getting a natural pose the scale issues sort of melt away.

• 2 weeks later...

Was browsing puppetswar website and saw some reasonably priced heads that may be of interest as scout alternatives: http://www.puppetswar.com/category.php?id_category=215

Some of the shemagh heads look more like Aladdin than Delta Force, but the patrol caps look promising. Got some of the shemagh for my tallarn grenadiers (kasrkin sergeant), they were a good fit for imperial kasrkin; never tried the caps though.

There's a cool T2 Arnie head that wouldn't look out of place on a shotgun scout biker :-)

Archived