Astra Militarum headache

I have bought a copy of the Astra Miliatrum (imperial Guard) codex, gone through the rumours, and not liked all I have read.

The points hike to the Chimera is really going to hurt my list, and so far
there doesn't seem to be an auto-cannon upgrade for it with out going to
forge world. http://i4.ifrm.com/1451/25/emo/thumbs_down_2.gif

This is blatantly to sell the http://i4.ifrm.com/1451/25/emo/armata_PDT_32.gif looking turdbox... I mean Turox http://i4.ifrm.com/1451/25/emo/whistling2.gif

So I will be looking to see what needs fixing by going the Imperial Armour way.

How does the shake look like it will be effecting everyone else?

Let's just take a deep breathe here and wait a week until the actual codex comes out ... Rumours are inherently unreliable.

Regarding the chimera this us the first I've heard of a price increase. I'd be surprised since it's still the same old price in Codex: Inquisition.

Linked from BoLS.  

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-piHYWemfNxk/U0DgvcIEEHI/AAAAAAAAdxM/K6vuJWZytVk/s1600/IMG_0026-1.480x480-75.jpg

What I am wondering is... What are Fire Barrels? and what is recovery Gear? I get the idea that the recovery Gear is all the cables and tool set, but what does it do? and how does it work?

I'm still going to hold out until the actual codex is released before rendering judgement. But I don't think a 10 pt increase is completely out of line. I thought 55 points was actually a little too cheap (although admittedly, compared to a rhino I guess it was spot on). We can probably thank all the "easy button" chimeltavet spam players for the points increase.

I thought I remembered reading about a recovery gear bit of wargear in one of the Imperial Armour lists. I believe it allows you to repair an immobilized vehicle (get it moving again -- no recovery of hull points) on a certain roll.

steve!: the Taurox has slowly been growing on me since I first saw it. And as I wrote in another thread, I am seriously considering a Militarum Tempestus army once I'm finished with my DKoK just because I love those Scion models so much. So you're definitely not alone.

EDIT: I stand corrected, I see now that the BoLS picture comes from the preview on iBooks, so that is no rumour, it would seem that the chimera IS 65 points now (yet one can't totally rule out the possibility that this is a typo -- there've certainly been a few typos that were fixed/changed in other recent digital codices like Inquisition and Adepta Sororitas)

Steve!, Your not alone I like it too.

Hi my name is uberwolve and I like the Taurox...

" Hi uber!"  lol.. 

I don't think their is a recovery group for us. Maybe a support group? 

But ya! I'd love to get 5 or 6 of them.

Or maybe it's because the Chimera was under costed in the Guard book? 55 points was ludicrously cheap for what it did. Not every change GW is make is 'if we make existing model more expensive, then they'll have to buy our new thing!!!!' While this does also actually give the Taurox a role as a cheaper transport, calling it a cheap ploy to sell the new kit is overly cynical (besides, if they wanyed to go down that route, they would have made the Taurox so good it invalidated the Chimera)

55 point Chimera and 40 point Taurox would have done the job better I think. It could even be that they consider the new point adjustments more balanced. Maybe that's hopelessly naive but you know I'm going to bow out of the speculation -- it does nothing to improve my enjoyment of the game which I know I'll still love regardless of what changes will be found when the codex hits the shelves.

Or maybe it's because the Chimera was under costed in the Guard book? 55 points was ludicrously cheap for what it did. Not every change GW is make is 'if we make existing model more expensive, then they'll have to buy our new thing!!!!' While this does also actually give the Taurox a role as a cheaper transport, calling it a cheap ploy to sell the new kit is overly cynical (besides, if they wanyed to go down that route, they would have made the Taurox so good it invalidated the Chimera)

Well said, sir, well said.

I'm not complaining about the price increase - I'm just saying that it also has the effect of making the Taurox better by comparison.

Also we prefer the term "realistic" ;)

The 10 point bump up makes sense for the Chimera. The new edition made them better in my opinion, and for 55 points they were a steal. They are insanely spammable and tough for a transport. 10 points per tank shouldn't break any lists.

The Chimera points increase isn't exactly pleasing, but I'm not too worried about it. As veteran squads got ten points cheaper and lose their third special weapon, the points of my three veteran squads (one triple plasma, one triple melta, oh and one triple flamer) just went down.

From a modelling point of view, I'll probably do some shuffling: add a heavy weapons team here, a replacement guardsman here...and perhaps buy more models to form new squads around those now-squad-less third special weapons.

Glad to see that special weapon squads still exist, and our veterans have the same three doctrines. That will save a lot of modelling headaches.

The slight point increase isn't such a surprise in my eyes for such a stable transport. I must say I hope they would add auto-cannon from the book but otherwise the "rules" can be found in IA books, even ifnthe rule is just point cost.

I just bought some griffons and medusa from forgeworld for my death korps assault brigade. Was wanting to just play regular guard but if I can't use my models then sticking to FW :-s.

You will be able to use your griffon and medusa in the book regardless of it not being in the codex. Or rather it will be so when FW make an update.

I remember the days of more expensive Chimeras :P It won't change my lists, especially since I can just drop the Heavy Stubber I always take if I was really desperate to save points. It seems like the meltavet spammers have much to answer for, looks like I'll have to rejig my Vets which will most likely take the form of another squad to spread the specials around in. Not that unexpected to be honest, but Vets are still good for our codex.

Bolters would be great, it would mean my new Semper model is no longer equipped just for rule of cool :D

I don´t mind the 10p increase on the Chimeras. But what I disagree with is that was too cheap for what it did, in my case it wasn't. Beacause my Chimeras have a tendency to blow up/being wrecked in the middle of the board leaving my Guardsmen vunerable to bolter fire. When I played Marines it wouldn't matter since my opponent still had to direct much firepower to make sure they didn't reached an objetive. So the lesson I learned was to mainly put Veterans in the Chimeras with Carapace armour so when the vehicle gets unusable I still have 4+ survivability when the bolter rain begun in my opponents turn. Although it varies from case to case, I tend to use the same tactic myself, directing much firepower on the transports(in my LGC mostely Rhinos).

I too like the Scions modelsyes.gif As soon as I get my salary I will be buying at leastone box. But their transport looks very odd.

I hope that they kept Rambo, it is/was one of the most funny units in the Codex. Nobody knew what would happen when he entered the table, and that was the beauty of it.

This isn't actually related to the AM, but could some kind person give me directions how you put up banners in your signature. I have earned many through the years, but never put up all of them. But now that All for one... has a Guard banner I thought it was great way to show where my loyalty lies.

For your sig (I see some CSS code from your failed attempt :P ) I think this might be what you're looking for:

[url=http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/288463-regiments-of-the-bc-one-for-all/][img=http://fortressofunforgiven.homestead.com/IG_14A_Banner.jpg][img=http://fortressofunforgiven.homestead.com/IG_14A_Badge.jpg][img=http://www.fortressoftheunforgiven.com/ETL_2013_03_Custos_Fidei_02.jpg][/url]

This will put the two Regiments participation badges in, along with a link to the topic :) Let me know if you need any more help with something.

People seem to forget that some of us took platoons in Chimeras, and have leant to play a very good game with them. I know that my list will need some serious adjusting and thought.

Amoured sentinels are rumoured to be the same points as a termie, but squadrons now only 2 models (for them at least). Not sure how that is going to hit some players, but win some lose some.

So far, it all seems a bit meh... confused.gif

Archived