Astra Militarum headache

I only use Chimera transports for veterans (well, and Company Command Squads) so the 10 point increase is deflected for my lists by the 10 point drop for vets. But I can see how those who use them for normal platoons might be annoyed.

Also, stop hating on the Taurox. I've seen a few in real life and they actually look really cool and unique. All Guard vehicles were starting to look identical. Variety IS the spice of life!

It's not just that it's a bit ugly (personal opinion) but it bears little to no resemblance to the other variants. At least Lemans and Chimera Patterns look alike. The Taurox is completely different, and that, more than the ugliness of the model, will stop me from ever buying one.

Also, and I'm no expert on tanks or treaded vehicles, but if someone here is: Is there any advantage to using 4 sets of tracks on a vehicle, rather than the standard 2? Because it looks silly tbh. wacko.png

space/smurf/ponies need not apply!  j/k

I agree that variety is a good thing, but difference for its own sake doesn't always work  In this case, the result is pretty hideous.  I really look forward to seeing half-track conversions, though.  two axles in the front and a track in back sounds really awesome...four tracks just don't make any mechanical sense.  I can't imagine any advantages over just having one track per side, and the increased complexity of needlessly doubling everything just boggles my logistics-and-maintenance-oriented mind.  It's completely unrealistic that such idiocy would ever make it into any STC sanctioned by mars....HERESY!!!

Also, stop hating on the Taurox. I've seen a few in real life and they actually look really cool and unique. All Guard vehicles were starting to look identical. Variety IS the spice of life!

It's not just that it's a bit ugly (personal opinion) but it bears little to no resemblance to the other variants. At least Lemans and Chimera Patterns look alike. The Taurox is completely different, and that, more than the ugliness of the model, will stop me from ever buying one.

Also, and I'm no expert on tanks or treaded vehicles, but if someone here is: Is there any advantage to using 4 sets of tracks on a vehicle, rather than the standard 2? Because it looks silly tbh. wacko.png

It's to reduce overall ground pressure, allowing the vehicle to move over all terrian types. There are a few images of some Humvees and Hummers fitted on four continuous tracks to travel over snow.

There's an order that grants Precision Shot to the unit yes, but that's all it does.

Is that functionally different, though? All the "Precision Shot" rule in itself says that wounds from Precision Shots are allocated as the shooter likes. Characters that roll a 6 to hit have their shots become Precision Shots, but it's not otherwise a USR. Currently, a character rolling a 6 to hit is the only way to get a Precision Shot in the BRB, but if the order makes all of the unit's shots Precision Shots before they even shoot, the to-hit roll itself may not matter.

Question mark.

RAW, Plague Angel is right -- I am looking at p. 63 of the main rulebook right now.

As uberwolve says, that can't be the intention in writing the rule. Surely they meant the order to confer the character ability onto the regular troops allowing any 6's they roll to result in a precision shot.

Without getting into RAI vs RAW arguments... the order's rule says it grants Precision Shot to a unit. Nothing else is specified, so that's all it does - no extras and no restrictions. Unless GW produce an Errata document that says otherwise that's how you should use the rule smile.png

Not as far as I'm aware aside from sniper weapons, but orders are unique to the Guard and everything has to start somewhere so why not with us? Go forth comrades and blast those special weapon and sergeant models from His sight! :P

If we get an FAQ that says other wise then I will admit to being wrong publicly .(and maybe even in my sig...) I have trouble understanding how I am expected to at face value accept that this order makes a unit better then a character or on par with the space marine scout guy or close to on par with a vindicare assassin.  I believe that their is a relic weapon in the codex that grants Precision shot. And then one might say so what. the guy who can use it is already a character. ( I won't get my codex until next week so I am going off what I have read and heard here. )  I could in that case, as I am sure that it must explain how that precision shot must be better or at least different, have no issues at all about it working on all the hit's not just the 6's. The difference being that that it was paid for. I have a hard time with getting it basically for free.  It is a shame that they couldn't have spelled out their intent clearly in the codex. Bu I have to remember that GW is a miniatures company first! after all.

Characters and sniper rifles say a hit roll of 6 grants Precision shot to wounds but the order sayes the ordered unit gets precision shot. This means any non blast/template hits made by the ordered unit can be allocated how you wish as long as target is in range and in LoS. Considering most of your shots are flashlights and your opponent can still " look out, sir" for his characters I don't see this as broken or OP. I can see this order being used to good effect with plasma/melta vets.

The wording is the same as Telion or the Vindicare. All shots are Precision Shots without needing a 6 to hit.

It's not broken, just really really cool, and something I've always wanted to see. Their training!

Makes me think of this scene:

Well, remember that not every officer can issue that order, and there is a die roll involved to make the order work. Then you get to roll dice to hit and wound, etc. So it's not an automatic "I Win!" button, just a cool way to represent disciplined soldiers doing their jobs.

You lot might be right. I'm just one for fair play. Which I guess is why I question how it works. I guess if it were bolter fire that would be a something to really worry about. 

uberwolve, I don't want you to misunderstand my post -- I actually agree with you, and I, too, am one for fair play. I was just saying that Rules as (poorly) Written, it certainly looks like it says that they get to pick their target. But this does seem daft to me.

Until an FAQ come out, I will certainly play it as you have suggested. That just make sense to me and I'm sure that's what GW intended when they wrote it (Rules as Interpreted). To me that pretty clearly is the logical interpretation.

Archived