Departmento Munitorum: New Astra Militarum Units

Kierdale

Really rather like the Bullgryns, (mobile grenade launching cover or riot police). shame they are really expensive points wise though, the Wyvern sounds sick to me against light infantry (4x blast templates with shred, and twin linked? yes please :) ) and scion platoons sound cool, though not sure they are useful, love that orders work on them now and the hotshot volleygun is cool not sure orders work on it though? doubt it.

looking forward to actually getting hold of the codex.

Well, there's not a tonne that's new. Mostly tweaks to existing units.

Given the popularity of Tau and Eldar the Wyvern could be a very powerful counter -- I'm temped up get one just do I can give the finger to Taudar if I gave them.

I skipped over Bullgryns in my review since they don't interest me. Scion platoons are cool.

I'm glad GW finally realized carapace armour isn't as awesome as they thought. But they still overvalue hotshot lasguns IMO. Scions are 4.5 pts more than carapace vets now just for hotshots really. 10 carapace vets are only 5 pts more than 5 scions!

Scions are trash. Veterans and Henchmen beat them on price, weapon options and efficiency. Not to mention you have to burn your Ally slot to take scoring Scions, whereas Veterans are in-codex and Henchmen are almost always scoring (as you never take them without Coteaz). Hot-shot volley guns look great on paper, but so do Thousand Sons. At least Thousand Sons are tough, Scions die in a stiff breeze like all IG infantry, lost their pistols, and can't fight in melee at all. 

I think Bullgryns have potential. You have access to Biomancy en-masse, so rolling 'Endurance' shouldn't be too hard. With power mauls they are S7, which is respectable. Divination can also give them a 4+ invul with 'Precognition'. 

I'm thinking the Bulls have a use - keep them stock to save (and the upgrades are kinda rubbish I feel) and have them standing shoulder to shoulder to protect your lines and pound the enemy in CC. Workable I reckon?

I think the Wyvern could be a sneaky good unit. They're cheap, so they won't be breaking the bank - plus you can get some Russes in a HQ slot - so grab a couple and they'll put some hurt on enemy infantry through the number of shots and shred alone.

With Wyverns only 5 points more than a HWS of mortar teams, I wonder if we'll see people using mortar HWSs much anymore? Unless their Heavy Support slots are already full, of course.

Throw some camo nets on Wyverns and park them in cover and they'll be reasonably irritating to take out (4+ in a forest, 3+ in ruins), while at the same time forcing a good deal of saving rolls on the enemy.

I heard someone suggesting Bullgryns with those big shields in front for a further cover boost (3+ in a forest, 2+ in ruins!).

I also think the Bullgryns models are less work to modify and a bit better than the normal ones - depending on the kit of course but at the very least they're getting GS berets :D The grenade launcher is nice but easily found elsewhere, and the maul upgrade is good but far too expensive for a unit that is already at the boundary of reasonable pricing. That and the shield upgrade seems to lose the slab rule which I think is pretty good.

Even stock I think they're too expensive to sit around, so I'll have them advancing at the vanguard of my infantry pushes. If my opponents thought life was hard when the 144th came over the hill before wait until the Bullgryns lead the charge! :P

Archived